any thoughts on SJC drums?

airbus172

Personally, as someone from an orchestral background, all the assumptions people have about SJC players are ones I have about the entire drumset community.

Not really. But yeah, sort of. LOL
yeah i thought that orchestra/marching band people were old people/soldiers who never wanted to have a laugh. But this has changed and I love orchestral and marching percussion.

Warrenwood

DW - People who play drums as a hobby and can afford a DW with the law firm earnings - or drummers backing up pop stars.
Tama - Rockers
Yamaha - professionals - not a ton of flare but people that need consistent tones....session people or professors at MI, etc.
A&F - Thick rimmed glasses, tattoos, slow beats, skinny jeans, somehow has a ton of money despite being in the music business - social media manager maybe
Gretsch -30+ semi pro....still has a day job but "Serious" about drums - goes to NAMM - social media only mentions drums but still in sales or whatever
SJC - tweens
Pearl - anybody who's found an Export at a flea market or yardsale - weekend warriors
Sonor - Suit and tie - metal glasses - has been to be europe once - posts about it constantly like it didn't happen 3 years ago
Ludwig - 40+ weekend warriors - still likes black oyster pearl...still....
Canopus - jazz dudes. guys who don't want to talk about gear - it's all about the music - not the gear...how high can a floor tom be tuned? A canopus guy will know - but he won't talk about it. Misses the 90's yamaha's with the gold lugs.

I know I'm missing some like Mapex or Dixon, etc...but those are so far off my radar that I have no jokes/stereotypes haha.
Slingerland - old farts waving their walking canes while yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN!" (And sometimes I resemble that remark...)

Lee-Bro

In the 90s I had some typical "rock guy" views on drum companies and personalities:

Drum Workshop - all the new Seattle bands
Gretsch - Old jazz guys
Ludwig - 70s & 80s rock bands
Pearl - Hard Rock and Metal
Premier - Rock guys who wanted Tama looks but wanted to be different
Slingerland - groovy hippie drummers from the 60s
Tama - Hard Rock, Metal, Thrash
Yamaha - Artsy Fartsy drummers that probably played traditional grip

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
There’s drum set in orchestral music. Who do you think plays the set on a pops concert? And there’s a few pieces in the “legit” classical repertoire that use set, like Le Creation du Monde by Darius Milhaud.
That’s really cool. When I think of orchestral music, I think of one person on snare, one person on the bass drum, one person on cymbals, timpani, triangle, etc. I’ll have to check out a pops concert.

I only meant my response in good fun. :)

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
That’s really cool. When I think of orchestral music, I think of one person on snare, one person on the bass drum, one person on cymbals, timpani, triangle, etc. I’ll have to check out a pops concert.

Hans Zimmer and Hams Zimmer Live.

I heard this SJC cast aluminum snare and man it kills and this logo actually is like-able.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Hans Zimmer and Hams Zimmer Live.

I heard this SJC cast aluminum snare and man it kills and this logo actually is like-able.

It’s hard to screw up cast aluminum. It’s heavy enough that heavy hardware won’t change the sound too much, and dry enough that small problems won’t be as noticeable as with a more resonant metal.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member

Yes, I know you meant it kindly. Lol

Creation Du Monde. That’s a pretty decent introduction to what percussionists do in an orchestra. Rest 95% of the time.

The most fun pops concerts are with guest artists (I did a concert with Ray Charles once with the Greensboro Symphony) and Christmas pops concerts. Most of the time guest artists bring their own drumset guy, though.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Speaking of drumsets in orchestra’s.

Satnam Ramgotra does a lot of orchestra work besides Hans Zimmer (Lucy Landymore does the drums in the Hans Zimmer Live Orchestra)

John Robinson does a lot of orchestra work too.

And so is Hans van den Hurk (previously Trevor Murrell) with Night of The Proms.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think it's funny that certain brands are pigeonholed/attached to certain music genres. Pianos, as far as I can tell, don't suffer from that. The player dictates the style, not the instrument lol.

It's all so superficial to me. But highly entertaining.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
It’s hard to screw up cast aluminum. It’s heavy enough that heavy hardware won’t change the sound too much, and dry enough that small problems won’t be as noticeable as with a more resonant metal.
Would you think this is the case with this model too?

airbus172

I think it's funny that certain brands are pigeonholed/attached to certain music genres. Pianos, as far as I can tell, don't suffer from that. The player dictates the style, not the instrument lol.

well some pianos are ‘suited’ to some genres meaning that if I saw someone playing a Steinway, I’d think it would be in an orchestra. Or Yamaha, a jazz band. But this isn’t pianistworld forums, so we don’t need to talk about pianos. Because drums are better.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's funny that certain brands are pigeonholed/attached to certain music genres. The player dictates the style, not the instrument lol.

Entertaining indeed Larry - all in the spirit camaraderie :)

I was often accused of only crafting drums for collectors. Nothing could be further from the truth given the huge breadth of client spectrum - oh, and the fact most of my drums were / are used on a very regular basis.

Super Phil

This thread got me curious, and i did some looking online. This kit on reverb looks really cool for a good price. No idea how it sounds, though.

IBitePrettyHard

This thread got me curious, and i did some looking online. This kit on reverb looks really cool for a good price. No idea how it sounds, though.

That kit perfectly sums up this thread, haha.

That bass drum though...yikes! I mean...it's already 20" deep...and yet they added an extra wide resonant hoop. So it's basically 22x22"! Good luck getting that in your car, haha.

The extra wide hoop is basically just for looks and only makes transporting it more difficult. The 18" floor tom adds to the oddness of this kit...it's not nearly as practical (or as portable) as a 16" floor tom would be.

I could be wrong, but the shells kinda look like Oak to me, or mayyybe Cherry? They could be Maple though, or even a combination. Bottom line, it looks like a quality Keller shell, whatever it is.

If you wanted to know why that kit is so cheap, that's why.^^^ :p

Last edited: