any thoughts on SJC drums?

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
They seem to be the company that "replaced" OCDP in terms of weird finished and such. They practically are a sponsor of warped tour, with those punk/hardcore/post-hardcore/whatever bands all having them with outrageous finishes, sizes and hoops. Haha. I've never played one but live, they sound like drums. To echo Bermuda, also, not my cup of tea. In my opinion, for the money a custom kit of their's costs, you can do better, unless the finish is the most important thing to you.

-Jonathan

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
For too many drummers, looks are more important than sound. Granted, in the old days, we bought kits because they had a cool finish. The difference is, those were Ludwig, Gretsch, Slingerland, Rogers, Camco... and they all really did sound great.

steadypocket

Gold Member
You must to be under 25 to own them lol. I bought one of their custom shop snares a while back. Cool, unique wrap. Great satin powdercoating. Sounded like crap though so I didn’t hang onto it for long. Keller shells at the time, made to SJC specs.

I can't imagine the resale value is very good for them either. it almost always seems that used SJC kits are listed absurdly high. original owners shell out a lot for them and think they're actually worth that much. gotta love seeing kits with 22x28 inch bass drums in custom finishes being listed for $3k+.

bermuda

Staff member
I can't imagine the resale value is very good for them either.
True, and that goes for most of the boutique companies. Resale should always be considered when making a purchase, but sound should still be the priority. That's the decision I made with Impact drums back in 1985, and happily played them until they stopped making drums around 2006. Resale wasn't a consideration, although I sold a kit or two. I still have 4 though. :)

I would question someone's decision to buy SJC for either sound or resale purposes. They (maybe) look cool, and should be triggered. That way everyone's happy.

Bermuda

Last edited:

bermuda

Staff member
So they’re the sort of drum for the type of person who says ‘rad’ or ‘dope’ every 5 seconds.
Pretty much, but check out their artist/customer roster at https://www.sjcdrums.com/pages/family I recognize only a few names and bands/artists. That alone isn't enough to judge a company, but it's an indication of the drummers to which the brand appeals. To be fair, I don't know several of my fellow artists at Ludwig either, but they - and most other brands - boast a much wider spectrum of players than SJC.

The ultimate test should be actually playing a set before making a decision. That applies to almost anything that makes a sound if you're not already familiar with an item and can be pretty sure that they're consistent - like a Supraphonic, Paiste cymbals, etc.

Bermuda

NouveauCliche

They sounds great with my Soultones!

...ok but really - fun stuff - novelty drums but I've never played a set that any depth of character to the sound. There's a feel to them I don't care for as well...I'm not sure if it's hardware or bearing edges or what - but I just can't get on board with the sound.

I do enjoy seeing the TMNT, or Nintendo or Jaws or whatever crazy thing they are doing though. Glad someone is doing it.

IBitePrettyHard

*Cracks knuckles* Ok, where do I start? (Unlike @bermuda , I won't be as nice.)

SJC is a pretentious drum company that sells a 'hip' image to fawning Millennials. They're a hype and marketing company that sells drums.

SJC is what would happen if MTV, sleeve tattoos, skateboards, the show 'Pimp My Ride', Jake Paul, and selfie sticks all combined to make a drum kit.

I find them to be nauseating, but I'm not their core demographic...I get that. But the worst part about SJC is that they pay little or no attention to how the drums sound. Style and "sick finishes" above all else. If you don't believe me, watch their Youtube videos. They sound like hot garbage.

Their drum demos are heavily compressed and sound either choked or boxy or have annoying overtones.....often all at the same time. And despite how bad they sound, the comments are filled with drooling teenagers..."bro that finish is so sick!!!!!" It's quite astounding really.

MrTheOne

So they’re the sort of drum for the type of person who says ‘rad’ or ‘dope’ every 5 seconds.
That being said this might be a fun game to play when thinking about other drum companies. What kind of personality would a drummer have based on their choice of kit? For instance, I always associated Yamaha mostly with jazz guys, classy suit-wearing folks. Tama was for hard rock players. Long hair and leather vests.
Who else has one?
In good fun only, of course.

I always considered them to be over-priced Keller kits. Some of the finishes were cool, but most were not for me.

I hope that the people who have them enjoy them!
seems like a lot of people don't like the sound of them. would that be a knock on keller then if they're sourcing the shells from them? i know there are other factors as well.

i also just saw they designed their own shell 'm5'. can't seem to find if they build it or source that as well. they skipped over that question, but answered all the other comments on their youtube video about it.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
What kind of personality would a drummer have based on their choice of kit? For instance, I always associated Yamaha mostly with jazz guys, classy suit-wearing folks. Tama was for hard rock players. Long hair and leather vests.
Who else has one?
I'd put Gretsch and Ludwig in the jazz category too. Tama's slogan for a while was "The toughest name in drums" and that was tested by many metal players.

As for SJC: I met those guys at NAMM last year & personality wise, they were cool guys. But that's the thing...all they had was their personality to sell the product.
No sound demos, no playing. No other options but to talk about the product and that talk was all about the image.

Boutique is how I'd describe them as their Massachusetts built kits are up there with DW in price (yet lacking the sound & build quality).

Yeah...they endorse a few players (Jay Weinberg of Slipknot being one), so that gives them some clout with the youngsters. But at the end of the day, those of us who play by ear and wallet will never touch them.

NouveauCliche

That being said this might be a fun game to play when thinking about other drum companies. What kind of personality would a drummer have based on their choice of kit? For instance, I always associated Yamaha mostly with jazz guys, classy suit-wearing folks. Tama was for hard rock players. Long hair and leather vests.
Who else has one?
In good fun only, of course.
That would be almost be a funny thread in itself - assuming people people wouldn't get their feeling hurt.

DW - People who play drums as a hobby and can afford a DW with the law firm earnings - or drummers backing up pop stars.
Tama - Rockers
Yamaha - professionals - not a ton of flare but people that need consistent tones....session people or professors at MI, etc.
A&F - Thick rimmed glasses, tattoos, slow beats, skinny jeans, somehow has a ton of money despite being in the music business - social media manager maybe
Gretsch -30+ semi pro....still has a day job but "Serious" about drums - goes to NAMM - social media only mentions drums but still in sales or whatever
SJC - tweens
Pearl - anybody who's found an Export at a flea market or yardsale - weekend warriors
Sonor - Suit and tie - metal glasses - has been to be europe once - posts about it constantly like it didn't happen 3 years ago
Ludwig - 40+ weekend warriors - still likes black oyster pearl...still....
Canopus - jazz dudes. guys who don't want to talk about gear - it's all about the music - not the gear...how high can a floor tom be tuned? A canopus guy will know - but he won't talk about it. Misses the 90's yamaha's with the gold lugs.

I know I'm missing some like Mapex or Dixon, etc...but those are so far off my radar that I have no jokes/stereotypes haha.