Any thoughts on kick-mounted tom holders that also have a third (cymbal) receiver?

BGDurham

I am considering buying a kick drum-mounted tom holder with a third receiver for holding an accent cymbal. Something like this:

1642213038015.png

Anyone have any particular thoughts or recommendations about such an item or gushing reviews/scathing criticisms about the one you have?

Thanks!

Good for mounting a mini boom with a splash cymbal, but I wouldn't mount anything much heavier on it.
I have used mine for a splash with mini boom. I used to mount a mic in it on a gooseneck to get both rack toms with 1 mic.

I used them for years for two boom arms for my 18” crashes. I use the bass drum tom mounts for cymbal booms on my export set up…no problems.:unsure::)(y)

My kick is Pearl with two tom mount holes (7/8")
I currently have a ten inch and a twelve inch tom in them. How much weight is too much?
I was working on a way to mount roto toms and one option I have is:
bi-clamp[1].jpg
I would have to take the top rod out of the roto stand and cut about five or so inches off. (?)

I have a Premier one and a Gretsch one - I use them both to hold a microphone boom arm for an overhead mic. Some vibration travels up the stand, but doesn’t seem to be picked up by the microphone.

I love them. The center mounted cymbal saves me a whole stand.

It could be a good cowbell mount too

I love them as well. Very functionable. I have two of them on two bassdrums at practice, each one holding one tom and a crash cymbal arm. Never noticed any buzzing or other unpleasant sounds. Saves me from using two seperate cymbal stands, and it is easy to get them as close as I want.

My kick is Pearl with two tom mount holes (7/8")
I currently have a ten inch and a twelve inch tom in them. How much weight is too much?
I was working on a way to mount roto toms and one option I have is:
I made these, out of some old 7/8" drum tube, and some nuts, washers, & bolts from Ace Hardware. This was my 3rd run at roto toms, and by far the most solid and more versatile mount system. 10"/12" roto's probably would be fine, weight wise. Getting them positioned right, might be the tricky part.

Attachments

• 2 a.jpg
    2 a.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2 b.jpg
    2 b.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I have nothing but good things to say about them. My Yamaha and Gretsch kits have them and I use them for splash cymbals.

I've experienced what Darth mentioned above but only under very specific conditions. Changing the cymbal, the geometry of the arm or the tuning of the kick made the sympathetic vibration go away. I wouldn't forgo the convenience of the cymbal mount just for that reason.

Last edited:
I mounted one on my 22" Renown bass drum, and it holds a 16 inch Sabian cymbal. I don't know if it hums when i play the bass drum, because I don't do it on its own. 10, 12 inch toms, and 16 inch cymbal. Was able to lose a stand

I made these, out of some old 7/8" drum tube, and some nuts, washers, & bolts from Ace Hardware. This was my 3rd run at roto toms, and by far the most solid and more versatile mount system. 10"/12" roto's probably would be fine, weight wise. Getting them positioned right, might be the tricky part.
Mine are a 6, 8, 10 set on a tripod stand. It's a good stand, but it (and the bass drum) gets in the way of where I think I might like them.
I don't have a rack...(unless you wanna count the fact that I'm getting older, but ya can't have drums on 'em).

I had one on a Gretsch Renown RN2. I tried it with a splash cymbal on it and when I I'd play the kick you could hear an overtone from the splash. Wasn't good. YMMV.

You can fix that with one of my favorite toys:

Stopping cross vibration is one of the best uses I've found for it.

I used all 3 mounts on my Yamaha mantle for a little bit, worked fine with 2 toms and a 16" crash/ride. As others have noted, placement matters when trying to avoid resonance.

My cheapie DDrum kit has a 3rd receiver setup. Honestly, it's some of the best hardware I've seen, especially for what I paid. I have a 16 or an 18 on mine?? Never had an accident.

Back