Any thoughts about the new PDP Kit? (Sporting the newer PDP Logo)

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I mentioned this in the thread about the new Sabian logo, but I thought the newer PDP logo was interesting. Hadn't seen it in person before, but saw it today while I was at GC. Plus there's the new PDP Spectrum kit that I saw on PDP's instagram. Maple/Poplar shells with a new lug design that looks almost like a cross between the mini-turret and a ludwig lug or something. Saw another picture of it in Satin black too. Almost like a return to the old Pacific MX kits.

Attachments

• pdpspectrum.jpg
    pdpspectrum.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 429
I mentioned this in the thread about the new Sabian logo, but I thought the newer PDP logo was interesting. Hadn't seen it in person before, but saw it today while I was at GC. Plus there's the new PDP Spectrum kit that I saw on PDP's instagram. Maple/Poplar shells with a new lug design that looks almost like a cross between the mini-turret and a ludwig lug or something. Saw another picture of it in Satin black too. Almost like a return to the old Pacific MX kits.

When I recently started researching drum kits before purchasing, I did a lot of research. PDP is all over the place. At first, I really thought they were cheap. The ONLY reason I say this, because I bought a PDP throne (used) for $34 and it is the hardest, most uncomfortable throne I've sat on in a long time. So it skewed my opinion of the rest of their products. Honesty, in my searching prior to purchasing, PDP's kits looked great! But, I stayed away.

I'm now considering PDP used shells to start a project. Less than $100 for 4 undamaged shells. Not sure what to think of that price.

Their new logo and badges look way better. Their lugs are kinda stolen from Sonor, but kind of classic looking. Finish definitely reminds me of the old MX series. Funny how only a few years ago. Poplar was crap. Then a couple of companies like Gretsch make killer sounding shells wit poplar and suddenly they are the cat’s meow.

Overall, nothing like the Sabian logo debacle. Good move for PDP I think.

Their new logo and badges look way better. Their lugs are kinda stolen from Sonor, but kind of classic looking. Finish definitely reminds me of the old MX series. Funny how only a few years ago. Poplar was crap. Then a couple of companies like Gretsch make killer sounding shells wit poplar and suddenly they are the cat’s meow.

Overall, nothing like the Sabian logo debacle. Good move for PDP I think.

Now that you mention it, I see Sonar now. Maple/Poplar has been in use for a long time. My Slingerland kit is Maple/Poplar/Maple. That being said, yes Poplar did seem to get a bit of a bad rap for a while it seemed.

Anything is an improvement over the old PDP lugs. Worst-looking lugs in the industry imo.

They have a new "floating tom mount." Screenshot from this video. Doesn't look like they're using the new mounts on the floor tom legs though.

m92kRzH.jpg

I like all the changes they have made. Like the lugs, the badges, logo and love that color.

PDP are by no means bad drums. They're solid entry/mid level kits but I have always regarded them a cheap. I played one for years at this church so I know they're good but I would just never buy one. Just brand perception in my own head I suppose. Those ugly "figure 8" cast lugs just made me think "cheap".

That being said, the little changes to this kit make a world of difference to me. I would own and gig a kit like this if I found it used.

I am really happy PDP moved away from peanut lugs and peanut tom mounts but they had some inspiration from Sonor. Still would buy.

Well, I think the new PDP logo looks childish. Not a fan. The new lugs, again not my cup of tea. They look cheap to me. The Spectrum is supposed to be a new lower line of drums from PDP, so these changes make sense.

Woah. Thought the lugs looked similar but even the mounting system?

PDP has used that tom mount for a longgggg time it is not new.

The logo reminds me of "The Partridge Family" lol.

Only thing worth remembering from the Partridge Family is Laurie.

The new lugs do not look like her....

:(

Well, I think the new PDP logo looks childish. Not a fan. The new lugs, again not my cup of tea. They look cheap to me. The Spectrum is supposed to be a new lower line of drums from PDP, so these changes make sense.

I think PDP is directed towards the younger drummers who know what DW is but can’t afford its stuff. If you look at their ads and their site it’s clear Pdp isn’t really for adults in mind. More towards the teenage/millennial drummer.

PDP has used that tom mount for a longgggg time it is not new.

:(

Well, no. I don't think you looked closely enough at the picture. Yes, the metal receiver looks the same, but it appears to be mounted in rubber or some other kind of isolation material. So, yes, it is new.

I don't care for the new drum badges. They look cheap.

But I LOVE the lug design. And, I don't care whether it was ripped off from Sonor, the new lugs look great. I hope they incorporate those across the lines.

Flat finishes? They went out of style about fifteen minutes after they were used on a slew of custom cars. What's "in" now is to make them look old and rusty, then cover them in a nice satin clear coat. Another fifteen minute fad. But, if that's what tickles your fancy, by all means, go for it.

(End of old man, "Get Off My Lawn" rant. ;) )

Did I say that the new lugs are great? They are.

GeeDeeEmm

I don't like the lugs, but PDP drums sound really nice.

.......... Have a photo ?

Yea...I carry one in my wallet...hold on a second...

OK, I missed the larger rubber gasket type thing under the metal mount...forgive me.

I was referring to the "metal" part of the mount which goes back a long ways.

Looking at it again-the Sonor "appears" to be a three point mount, no? The PDP is a four point mount....

Back to the doghouse...

The new PDP logo was introduced last year, so it's been around awhile. I like it. And those lugs are only on the Spectrum series kits. The Concept Maple lugs are staying the same.

They wanted to incorporate the same D that is in the DW logo. They should have marketed these drums as the DW Basic Series or something and not PDP to begin with.

I like the lugs and actually prefer them to the classic DW lugs which I've always found oversized and very clunky looking.

Back