Any percussionists on DW!

poika

Silver Member
Yes, they are considered a pitched idiophone belonging to the percussion family of instruments.

...oops, there's that college knowledge, rearing its ugly head again...
Cool, thanks to everyone for the clarification.

I find it interesting because the nature of the instrument is still quite different from any other percussive instruments.
You're not there just to keep the rhythm going, but also for the chords and melodies as well.

Skulmoski

Gold Member
I have and play lots of percussion instruments (see the link to my drum room below). I really enjoy frame drums and congas at the moment. Here is my Matt Smith bongos made of tiger maple with mother of pearl inlay. This was a birthday gift from my wife for my 50th!

GJS

Attachments

Last edited:

vxla

Silver Member
I do orchestral playing and have only recently started venturing out into actually jobbing in other areas (jazz, latin, etc.). After 20 years, I started getting bored with reading books in the back of an orchestra and waiting for that one triangle passage to come, 15 minutes from now...

Garvin

Pioneer Member
Skul, those bongos are beautiful. I think I'd be waiting until my 50th b-day if I ordered them today though, and I'm only 33 ;)

Seriously though, I hear Matt's back on track with a new shop and apprentice.

Dracovyrn

Lol, I also noticed that there aren't many younger people here either. [Me being 17 ;)] I'm mostly a percussionist (my favorite keyboard instrument is marimba! :D) and can really only do the simplest of rock beats on drumset. :( But I will keep practicing! and get better than all those drumset players in my school who tell me, "you're not a real drummer." :mad:

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Skul, those bongos are beautiful. I think I'd be waiting until my 50th b-day if I ordered them today though, and I'm only 33 ;)

Seriously though, I hear Matt's back on track with a new shop and apprentice.
I would love to get a set of his congas. Maybe he would take my Drumskulls in as a trade! Matt has had his ups and downs, so I am glad he is back on track. Take care Garvin.

GJS

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I'm mostly a percussionist (my favorite keyboard instrument is marimba! :D) and can really only do the simplest of rock beats on drumset. :( But I will keep practicing! and get better than all those drumset players in my school who tell me, "you're not a real drummer." :mad:
I guess the question is whether the drummers at your school are real musicians :)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I have and play lots of percussion instruments (see the link to my drum room below). I really enjoy frame drums and congas at the moment. Here is my Matt Smith bongos made of tiger maple with mother of pearl inlay. This was a birthday gift from my wife for my 50th!

GJS
Those look alarmingly like my bongos, minus the polka-dots. I bought them in a shop and they had no name attached to them. I wonder if that's the same make as mine?

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Those look alarmingly like my bongos, minus the polka-dots. I bought them in a shop and they had no name attached to them. I wonder if that's the same make as mine?
Hi

Probably not; these are custom made by Matt Smith. Matt takes orders for congas, bongos and bata drums. It took him a year to get these to me. Matt's drums rarely come onto the market. He usually signs the inside of the drum (see attached). I gave him full artistic control. I just asked him to make me something special. However, it would be really cool if you found the signature inside your bongo!

Cheers

GJS

Attachments

Last edited: