Any pads feel the same as the Yamaha TCS pad material?

Birdy

I’ve swapped out the Alesis Nitro Mesh snare for one from a dtx 482 kits as I prefer the feel as a snare.
I was looking for others as an alternative to mesh pads, as the other pads that came with the Yamaha kit are black rubber and don’t feel the same and are way noisier.
Is this type of pad fairly rare, as most others I’ve seen are attached to the cymbal and don’t seem available as just a drum on its own?
I realise it’s a trade off between noise (rubber) and mesh but this white tcs material seems a good compromise.
Thanks

Last edited:

electrodrummer

Are you talking about Yamaha's silicone (TCS - Textured Cellular Silicone) pads? They are jolly nice. Quieter and less bouncy than mesh. Up to 3-zones on a pad. No hotspots.

Birdy

Yes, could be what I meant!
Are you able to get separate ones? The only ones I’ve seen are like the one I have on my 482 which is attached to the snare. I was thinking of buying some more if I could get some used.

Birdy

Excellent - I’ll keep my eyes out for some used, but seem pricey...
Do they wear well?

electrodrummer

Excellent - I’ll keep my eyes out for some used, but seem pricey...
Do they wear well?
Well well? Seem to. As usual, ensure the tips of your sticks are in good order (as you should on any drum head).

There were a few reports of the silicone breaking down a bit on some early pads - could be down to exuberant metal drumming. Yamaha is good about swapping stuff if bought new and it is possible to replace the heads.

Not cheap pads, I agree. (then again, I've never had an issue with rubber pads)

Birdy

But are there any pads that are similar feel to the TCS for less money. I have Mesh heads which although very quiet, lack the feel of the TCS.

Birdy

Fair enough, thanks.
I’ll need to either source some used individual pads and cobble together a kit or just bite the bullet and get a complete used kit with the whole set of TCS pads

Birdy

AmI missing something, but the more I use my mesh or TCS pad, the more I like the TCS one?
I ask as I’m thinking of buying a kit with all TCS pads, but more kits have mesh instead. So will this be obsolete soon and as I (hopefully) improve will I regret not going the mesh route?