Any One Out There Using Diplomat Heads?

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
As soon as this pandemic is over and we are back to normal I am planning on trying one on my Ludwig snare.
You need not hit hard as they produce more volume and you get the extra sensitivity. Worked for Buddy so I will give them a shot.
I use G-12 clear on everything except the bass drum which is an EQ-4 but do use a G-12 as a reso and I am very pleased with the sound and feel.. I am intrigued by Diplomats though.
Just curious of any experiance you may have with them.

I use the Remo Classic Fit Diplomat Fiberskyn on my 1963 Ludwig Supraphonic, as well as on my 9x13, and 16x16 1955 Ludwig drums. I use this set for jazz and country. I love the sensitivity and ring of the heads. They work well with brushes too...my tuning for this kit is "a-la" Joe Morello

I have never used them in any other setting though. On my rock kit, I use Emperor Clears on the toms, and the Ambassador Coated on the snare.

I use Diplomat M5's on a few of my snares.

I use the snare side on some snares.
It's been a long time since I've used a snare batter. They are great heads. Thanks for reminding me!
I'm going to get a few coated batters for some snares. They might get out of tune a little quicker than, say, an Ambassador.

Eww no, can't STAND them. (for real)

Diplomat batters are too thin for my purposes, but I'm using a Diplomat Hazy Snare Side right now. It meets my approval with flying colors. I don't know that I'd recommend it for hard-hitting applications, but most of my drumming is moderate these days. I appreciate the Diplomat Hazy's sensitivity at civilized volumes. Your snare will come to life with the slightest touch. With proper tuning, you'll also witness a reduction in sympathetic buzz.

I use the Remo Classic Fit Diplomat Fiberskyn on my 1963 Ludwig Supraphonic, as well as on my 9x13, and 16x16 1955 Ludwig drums. I use this set for jazz and country. I love the sensitivity and ring of the heads. They work well with brushes too...my tuning for this kit is "a-la" Joe Morello.
Great choice!
The Fiberskyn's sound like nothing else with brushes. Very good tone & feel.

Great choice!
The Fiberskyn's sound like nothing else with brushes. Very good tone & feel.

yep...especially the more recent ones - like in the last 10 years. I think Remo has found a nice place with the way they make that film now. I have some Fiberskyns from the first run in the 80's that are so thick...they are really dead. Also have some from the mid 90's, and they were a little better, but not like the current ones

I also have one of the concert snares at school with a Classic Fit Diplomat Fiberskyn top. It sound great when we do "older school" literature

I just put a coated Diplomat on my Black Beauty. I was skeptical about it but I wanted a more open sound than what I was getting from the Aquarian Texture Coated and I was shocked at how good the Diplomat turned out. It's too soon to have an opinion on durability, but right now the sound is really impressive.

I just put a coated Diplomat on my Black Beauty. I was skeptical about it but I wanted a more open sound than what I was getting from the Aquarian Texture Coated and I was shocked at how good the Diplomat turned out. It's too soon to have an opinion on durability, but right now the sound is really impressive.
My Ludwig is a Black Beauty. The reason Budy Rich used them was because they projected above the horns in the day before micraphones on everything. He played them with quite a bit of snap & whack and I like an open sound as well.

I use the Remo Classic Fit Diplomat Fiberskyn on my 1963 Ludwig Supraphonic, as well as on my 9x13, and 16x16 1955 Ludwig drums. I use this set for jazz and country. I love the sensitivity and ring of the heads. They work well with brushes too...my tuning for this kit is "a-la" Joe Morello

I have never used them in any other setting though. On my rock kit, I use Emperor Clears on the toms, and the Ambassador Coated on the snare.
Jealous!!! I had a set of Ludwig Hollywoods back in the mid seventies that were made in the early sixties, pink champagn sparkle.
I let them slip through my fingers as it were and I regret that a bunch.

Check out the Remo Skyntone heads too. Closest to calfskin on the market. Diplomats are 7 mil, Ambassadors are 10 mil. The Skyntone is 7.5 mil, so just a touch thicker than a Diplomat but still thinner than an Ambassador. I love the Skyntone heads. Great for brushes too.

i have a diplomat reso on my supra and have no problems, downside is that i can’t touch it with anything otherwise it dents. only with the pads of my fingers but even then i think it’s too much

i have a diplomat reso on my supra and have no problems, downside is that i can’t touch it with anything otherwise it dents. only with the pads of my fingers but even then i think it’s too much
The Diplomat Snare Side really does seem extremely thin compared to the Ambassador Snare Side, but the Diplomat's enhanced sensitivity justifies its fragility. I love the way my snare speaks with a Diplomat on bottom. The dynamic potential is broad.

Last edited:
I've tried Dips on batters and resos and neither works for me. I couldn't get them off fast enough.

I think that perhaps a snare side is the only thing I could maybe use a Diplomat on, but I don't need the sensitivity

I've used them as tom reso & liked them. They are hard to find as a set so I usually just use Ambassadors. I've never used one on the batter side before. I would like to try one on a snare soon.

Back