Any musical examples of quintuplets or septuplets?

iwearnohats

Silver Member
the MOST IMPORTANT thing that odd times/groupings teaches - at least for me - is how important the manipulation of space, within the pulse, is to creating and describing feel;

once I could play quintups, septups etc better, my understanding of straight 4 on the floor (MONEY BEATS) became way more solid because I was now thinking of the "size" of the space between notes, and how that affects groove...

expansion and contraction of space are what create style difference, at least for me, and man, my shuffles got waaayyy better as I could play odd groupings bbecasue it solidified my sense of triplet feel, whcih is what shuffles, and swing, and hip hop etc .mostly live in
Great synopsis! I also find that the exercises that you'll find in Gary's books and others where you're alternating between say, triplets and quintuplets, also serves to give you a much greater sense of the space between the pulse. It's a great feeling when you can seamlessly move between any subdivision without having to make micro-corrections for the first time.

doggyd69b

Drum Expert
Sextuplets.

Sextuplets are very common. Quints and septs, not so much.
Check Yogev Gabay in the video
The curious case of quintuplets in 3's. In YouTube of course. Then follow it with Snarky Puppy 5's from him as well.

Last edited:

Caz

Enjoyed watching this video! Playing the timpani 1 part on Rite Of Spring is probably one of the scariest concerts I've ever done. I don't feel those as quintuplets though, to me anyway it's a bit different having 5 beats per bar - like 5/8 or 5/16 as written, than 5 notes per beat like quintuplets. I know sometimes here there's only 1 beat in the bar, but if I was to try to put it into words I think the difference is how you count beats vs subdivisions. Fun stuff!

Caroline