Any musical examples of quintuplets or septuplets?

blinky

Been dabbling a bit with this sometimes but never heard them in a musical way, sure I've heard quintuplets used in "drummy" stuff like Anika Nilles, but I mean in a more broad setting. Jazz, prog, fusion etc.

DrummerJustLikeDad

Christian Sinding's Frühlingsrauschen has both.

Follow the bouncing ball as it were. Quintuplets and septuplets located and notated throughout.

Trigger

I can't think of any. I find stuff like this borderline pointless. You practise it and then when you play it with actual people in a band, they'll just think you're playing out of time. Same with stuff like displacement. It's great if you happen to be in a band made of music nerds, but nobody will really appreciate listening to that stuff.

blinky

Larks' Tonges In Aspic Pt. 2 by King Crimson has a couple of quintuplet fills.
I've listened to KC a lot including this, you mean at the 1:50 mark? Isn't that septuplets or am I wrong? I could very well be wrong....

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
One of my snare pieces is written in 15/16, which is essentially three quintuplets to the bar. There are lots of septuplets, too. In fact, many of my pieces, and snare drum repertoire in general, has lots of instances of tuplets, odd rhythms, and the like. My own material isn't quite published yet, but check out Joe Tompkins' works, as well as Bob Becker's, and of course Mitchell Peters.

They're also common in a lot of the French repertoire, from Goute and Raynaud, through the traditional stuff.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Are not the double kick/guitar in Metallicas One septuplets?

blinky

I can't think of any. I find stuff like this borderline pointless. You practise it and then when you play it with actual people in a band, they'll just think you're playing out of time. Same with stuff like displacement. It's great if you happen to be in a band made of music nerds, but nobody will really appreciate listening to
I mean, you might be right. I am a total idiot.
Me to, so no worries.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Are not the double kick/guitar in Metallicas One septuplets?

No, they're 2 lots of triplets and then another one, similar, but different.

it is a 6-tuplet with a quarter note release. In this case the 7th note you hear is the first hit of the following beat

and I know that Portnoy was using 5 and 7- tuplets in some of his patterns with Dream Theater back in the day ,as well as Mark Zonder in Fates Warning

s1212z

It's a great tension tool I feel, and if done right can be very palatable...definitely not useless, that's ridiculous. Tony would play quints, there are moment in Nefertiti I believe if you can find on the transcription. Zappa's music is everywhere, Black Page a famous one. Mark Gulliana, Dan Weiss, Virgil Donati, Zach Hill, Rodney Holmes, Bill Bruford...usually passing fillings. I'm sure Jojo and Vinnie too plus prog guys like Marco M and Mangini. Rite of Spring definitely has 5 groupings which just a time signature nightmare but you can hear Dave King. It's been Indian music since forever.

Video on quint swing

pgm554

Platinum Member
Harvey Mason killing it.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
All over Zappa, of course. I think I've caught Vinnie Coliauta doing them in fills on some more commercial records-- Tom Scott or Gino Vannelli.

They're often played by accident, when somebody evens out a five stroke roll, so the release/accent is the same length as the roll notes:

Compare with the same guy playing it with the usual triplet rhythm, so there's a space after the accent:

Just recently I transcribed a Jack Dejohnette thing where that was happening-- he evened out something normal, which made it into a quintuplet. I don't believe it was deliberate, worked-out quintuplets.

It's also implied by a J Dilla/Questlove type hip hop beat-- the hihat rhythm is partials of a quintuplet or septuplet. I don't know if that's on purpose, but that's what it functionally is.