Any Ludwig Keystone owners around?

Very nice looking set of drums. I can see where a rail mount on a 24" bass drum could create positioning problems for the tom. I have a rail mount on my 22" bass drum on my DW Classic drums holding a 12" x 8" tom and if it sat much higher, I would have some positioning problems. Could you not get a 24" bass drum without the rail mount?

Ludwig Keystone drums sound very nice. Have fun with them.

Dennis

Very nice looking set of drums. I can see where a rail mount on a 24" bass drum could create positioning problems for the tom. I have a rail mount on my 22" bass drum on my DW Classic drums holding a 12" x 8" tom and if it sat much higher, I would have some positioning problems. Could you not get a 24" bass drum without the rail mount?

Ludwig Keystone drums sound very nice. Have fun with them.

Dennis

In answer to your question, the "All Star" limited edition kit came with the rail mount. Custom orders on this Keystone series were not permitted.

I own keystone kit
Its club date kit from '64
20 bass great low sound with some gentle meat,really great for studio.12 tom (it really rocks!!!blowed me far away)
15 tom has a really fat sound!!

After playing several live gigs with Coated Ambassadors and several with the stock Evans G2 Clears, I have settled on the Evans G2 Clear batter heads for the Keystone toms. Those heads have the right feel and punch for my tastes with one moon gel for dampening or open with no dampening. Ludwig made a good match right from the factory with the G2 Clears on these 1xOak-3xMaple-1xOak shells. I also plan to try Emporer Smooth Whites. These shells produce a great round punch with smooth 2-ply heads. With the single-ply Ambassador Coated heads, there is more attack and less full bodied tone.

Just my opinions and observations. If you have experiences with your own head combinations on the Keystone series, please share.

I have a chance to snag one of the GC kits in black abalone wrap but the sizes are making me hesitant, especially since you can't order add-ons in the same finish. What do your impressions of the 24" bass size (I've been leaning towards a 22x14 in the Classic Maple line) and the 12/16 tom difference (I kind of prefer 13/16 in a 4-piece kit)? Should I go for this kit or get the sizes I want in the Classic Maple? I really like the black abalone finish compared to modern versions of black oyster pearl.

I have a chance to snag one of the GC kits in black abalone wrap but the sizes are making me hesitant, especially since you can't order add-ons in the same finish. What do your impressions of the 24" bass size (I've been leaning towards a 22x14 in the Classic Maple line) and the 12/16 tom difference (I kind of prefer 13/16 in a 4-piece kit)? Should I go for this kit or get the sizes I want in the Classic Maple? I really like the black abalone finish compared to modern versions of black oyster pearl.

To be honest, I was hesitatnt for a while before I decided to buy my kit, and for the same reasons as you. I am old school and 24" bass drums are big and boomy which I like, so I was not concerned with being disappointed with the sound of the 24 versus a 22. With a ported resonant and Aquarian SK-1, it sounds rich with a deep thud, but not a cannon like the 18x22 in my Classic Maple kit, but a good deep sound just the same. The 12" tom mated with a 16" tom is also not an issue, sonically. In the 50's and 60's 12's and 16's were common kit sizes without a 13, especially with Gretsch and Slingerland. Further, I believe that the 8x12 tom size is the best all-round tom for dynamic tone range, much better than the 9x13. BUT, I must admit that the 8x12 looks a little lonesome on the 24" bass. The small size relative to the bass drum makes it look undersized for the kit. That is really the only regret I have about the kit - I can never add a 9x13 or 10x14 in Black Abalone - same as your concern. So, I would recommend holding out for what you want in Classic Maple. As much as I love the sound and finish detail of these drums, I still sometimes have difficulty with the lack of visual balance of the drum sizes. It's like playing a 22" bass with only a 10" tom, and I know some people do that, but it looks odd.

Hope this helps.

We just got a 10, 12, 16, 22 kit in Pewter Glitter at the store. These drums sound incredible! I was very, very impressed with what I heard and felt, and that's with stock heads (Chinese Evans G2). The kick sounded massive, as did the floor tom, and the 10" and 12" toms had so much punch and projection. Great drums, especially for the money. If you like the sizes and colors, go with those over the Classic Maples to save the cash.

The Keystone drums at the shop sound great. Very cool drums for sure.
The GC Black Abalone kits are stunning though...and a CM sounds amazing in any situation.

I use an 8x12 (w/16-18 down) with a 26" bass drum, and it doesn't look odd to me. I like how a 12 sounds over a 13, even though I do use one from time to time.
A 12" tom is 1/2 size of the 24" bass drum, so a 12 would be my choice with a 24 anyway (sonically as well as cosmetically). Even though a 13 is 1/2 the 26, I still like the 12 more.

You wouldn't go wrong with either a Keystone or CM, so I'd go with your gut on it.

I had the 4 on the floor in mint oyster. Can't upload from my phone right now but trust me, they are gorgeous. Never is the statement of "pictures don't do it justice" more appropriate. They really are stunning in person. And when lights hit them on stage it's pure awesomeness. Really, seeing any picture here still won't matter. You gotta go see them.

I've had my Keystones for just under a year now. Couldn't be happier. Build quality was superb. No issues. Fantastic big drum rock sound. Currently play in a classic rock band and a blues band. Use the kit for both, however, sometimes use my Mapex Saturn when playing with the blues band.

Configuation: Mint Oyster Paid $1,599

14x24
9x13
16x18
18x18

Coated G2 batter heads with EC Resonants on the bottom.

IF SO, POST SOME PICS PLZZZ

DSC03112.jpg

ye dude, ive ordered a keystone in mint oyster just waiting on the arrival of it. Nowhere in the UK stock this kit in mint oyster so i cant physically see one till mine arrives. Sucks.

ye dude, ive ordered a keystone in mint oyster just waiting on the arrival of it. Nowhere in the UK stock this kit in mint oyster so i cant physically see one till mine arrives. Sucks.

Here's another one to hold you over:

DSC00159.jpg

$80! Man! That is less than I paid for my B/O badged mid 80's Acrolite! Your drums look absolutely awesome and sound that as well I'm sure of it - congratulations not only for buying that kit but the price - that price is 1920's haha.

I also have a 1967 Acrolite snare drum and it is among, or maybe even, the best sounding snare drum I own. I am a Gretsch guy and I have some very nice Gretsch snare drums.....but I have to say....for that pure "Snare Drum" sound my 67 Ludwig (with the original heads yet!) is my pick....for now. But I did buy a Black Magic Carl Palmer snare recently and it IS sounding nice as well.............again.....it's a Ludwig.

Contributing with my keystone set. Bought them for aprox 80$

Ludwig%252520reday009.JPG

Snare is added later...

Pioneer%2525201%2525201968.jpg

Sounds, as all 3 Ply Ludwig great. Can not go wrong...

But here is a Ludwig killer:
20110907005.jpg

My Keystone All Stars (#09 / 100) and Epic Brick snare. Great sounding drums!

Attachments

• IMG_1620-XLcrop_Fort Worth TX.jpg
    IMG_1620-XLcrop_Fort Worth TX.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 592
Yeah I removed the rail mount also. If you look closely at the pics I posted im a lefty. No big deal though I just removed the mount and along with the "RIMS" mount from the rack tom and stored them away. I plugged the existing holes with little black plugs i got from Lowes and it looks perfect. I cant really say enough good things about these drums. I was playing them last night and they just feel RIGHT!! These drums need nothing...Im running the stock clear EVANS G2s and they sound great. I put an EVANS GMAD on the kick and it seems to be the right fit with the smaller ring. No need for moon gel or EC2s on the toms. They speak quick and the decay is near perfect for my taste. Im glad I found these!!
Can you please give exact description/ brand of the “plugs” you used PLEASE🙏

Back