Any Ludwig Keystone owners around?

Cozy

Now that these kits are out there I was hoping to hear from the owners and get some reviews. Curious as to the overall sound and what type's of music you guys are playing; head choices, etc, etc. I'm curious because I'm considering a Maple Classic but may save $1000 and go with the Keystone series.

Now that these kits are out there I was hoping to hear from the owners and get some reviews. Curious as to the overall sound and what type's of music you guys are playing; head choices, etc, etc. I'm curious because I'm considering a Maple Classic but may save $1000 and go with the Keystone series.

Been curious about that myself. One of my local drum shops should be getting a kit or two in a few weeks. The only thing is, I wish there was more variety regarding the finish.

Last edited:
A few people over at DFO had sets ordered,One posted that his had come in,he gave a brief positive review,and said he would more post later.No one else has posted that theirs came in yet .

I just picked up a Keystone kit.....These drums are amazing. I bought the limited edition 3 piece shell pack in Black Oyster Pearl wrap. Only 100 of these made. Vintage sizes and looks but a very modern sound. Killer punch and projection with these drums. I have owned the Yamaha oak customs and these are better. Much warmer but still has all the bite of an oak shell. Oak/Maple/Oak shell...Nice work Ludwig

Attachments

• DSC01952.JPG
    DSC01952.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 8,460
  • DSC01950.JPG
    DSC01950.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 10,995
I'm taking those on the road next week, including an extra rack tom Ludwig made for me. :)

Bermuda

I just picked up a Keystone kit.....These drums are amazing. I bought the limited edition 3 piece shell pack in Black Oyster Pearl wrap. Only 100 of these made. Vintage sizes and looks but a very modern sound. Killer punch and projection with these drums. I have owned the Yamaha oak customs and these are better. Much warmer but still has all the bite of an oak shell. Oak/Maple/Oak shell...Nice work Ludwig

Saw that kit at GC. Flipped when I saw the finish, Very cool.
Enjoy!

Me Too! First time I've been tempted to buy a kit from GC.....

If H&B could get it, I'd be more tempted.

Keep in mind that the configuration and 8x12 tom are exclusive to the GC kit, and there's not much more of that particular wrap so you probably won't see more Ludwig kits in any series with that exact wrap. Nobody else is going to have a Keystone kit like that, you have to get it at GC, and before they disappear.

Bermuda

Yeah buying at G.C is sort of out of fashion but I think of it like this....Great gear and great prices. As much as I love independent mom and pop music shops when it comes down to spending my money price is price and the only one I wanna support is myself. Call me selfish cause its true. This kit rocks!!!!

Sorry guys what is G.C.?
I'd be curious about getting a Luddy like this if the price was right. I'm in Canada and not sure what G.C. is, so could you enlighten me?

Cheers

Well, since you asked.... I'll start with the positive. I love the mint oyster pearl finish and the wrap seems to be holding up. Now for the negative. I'd have probably gotten better quality if these drums were made in Botswana instead of "made in the U.S.A." as Ludwig likes to boast. Needed a hammer to get the memory locks on the floor tom legs, and I'm not the only one. Dale's Drums had the same problem with one of their kits. Several of my kick drum tension rods are bent. I'm not talking a little bit--a lot. The black trim on the bass drum hoop came up slightly in a couple spots (when the drum arrived I might add) and I can't get a decent tone out of the 13" tom to save my life, and I consider myself to be pretty adept at tuning drums. Believe the bearing edges are the problem.

I paid $1799 at Musicians Friend for four drums and expected better quality at the price. Bought into the legacy of the Ludwig name. Never again.

Well, since you asked.... I'll start with the positive. I love the mint oyster pearl finish and the wrap seems to be holding up. Now for the negative. I'd have probably gotten better quality if these drums were made in Botswana instead of "made in the U.S.A." as Ludwig likes to boast. Needed a hammer to get the memory locks on the floor tom legs, and I'm not the only one. Dale's Drums had the same problem with one of their kits. Several of my kick drum tension rods are bent. I'm not talking a little bit--a lot. The black trim on the bass drum hoop came up slightly in a couple spots (when the drum arrived I might add) and I can't get a decent tone out of the 13" tom to save my life, and I consider myself to be pretty adept at tuning drums. Believe the bearing edges are the problem.

I paid $1799 at Musicians Friend for four drums and expected better quality at the price. Bought into the legacy of the Ludwig name. Never again.

You probably should have gotten them from Dale's since they are much less expensive there for a four piece kit.

Dennis

So am I the only one who can't find any info on Ludwig's web site on the sizes they offer the Keystones in?

The Keystone pages in the downloadable .pdf catalog have diagrams with the kit configurations and sizes.

Bermuda

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/pdf/2011-Ludwig-Catalog-Web.pdf

So, there are 10, 12, and 13" rack toms, 14, 16, and 18" floor toms, and 18x22 and 14x24 bass drums, plus a 6.5x14 snare. Shell packs are 10/12/16/22, 13/16/18/24, and 12/13/16/22. There's no table with all the component drums listed, so no guarantee that you could actually buy a component 12" or 16" tom or 24" bass, strictly speaking, though the pictured kits have some individual component drums explicitly listed.

So one-depth-fits all on everything. No 20" kick. No 14" rack, no shallower 14/16" floors. Great if you don't want to step up to the price of Classic Maples. Not so great compared to the options on some similarly priced Saturns or Starclassics or whathaveyou. Still tempting, though.

Nice kit!
What's the price on those, if I may?
Thanks

Back