Any light feel Hi Hat suggestions for my problem ankle?

LittleLegs

I’m struggling with my left foot. I play an old DW5000. I’ve cleaned out all the old grease but it’s still making my old ankle ache - it feels quite heavy and sluggish.

I play heel up and down (increasingly heel down). I wondered if anyone had experience of a very light feeling hi hat (or one where it closes solidly with minimal little foot pressure). Any thought would be really appreciated. Thanks!

ToneT

Silver Member
I’m struggling with my left foot. I play an old DW5000. I’ve cleaned out all the old grease but it’s still making my old ankle ache - it feels quite heavy and sluggish.

I play heel up and down (increasingly heel down). I wondered if anyone had experience of a very light feeling hi hat (or one where it closes solidly with minimal little foot pressure). Any thought would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Something not right with your model?
I assume your spring tension adjustment is working.
Any parts seemingly scraping, rubbing together?

Maybe its time for an upgrade?
I use DW 9000 series hats and cable hats.
The top of the line Pearl hats are smooth as hell, too.

Just my $0.02

cbphoto

Diamond Member

I use the Tama 905 lever-glide and it's very easy to use while playing heel down. Mapex and Ludwig also make a similar version. I don't know about DW.

x
pen_HH905D_00_01.png

Tiges

Silver Member
The Sonor400 is a very nice smooth feeling stand and really comfortable on the ankles and not worth a bomb of cash.

Attachments

• 20220328_134310.jpg
    20220328_134310.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 6

LittleLegs

I use the Tama 905 lever-glide and it's very easy to use while playing heel down. Mapex and Ludwig also make a similar version. I don't know about DW.

x
pen_HH905D_00_01.png

Hi - I thought this might be the case but I saw this that says the opposite. I wondered what you made of it?

cbphoto

Diamond Member

Hi - I thought this might be the case but I saw this that says the opposite. I wondered what you made of it?
A direct-pull (velo model) provides a 1:1 ratio of pedal motion:rod motion (the rod in the hi hat column).
A lever-pull provides a 2:1 ratio or pedal motion:rod motion. More pedal movement is needed to raise the hats a certain amount.
The advantage difference being the lever model provides more control over the opening of the hats; It's much easier to get a particular sizzle (cymbal separation) from the hats. Also, due to the leverage, there's more force applied to the hats; When lowering the pedal, more downward force is applied to the hats and this should create a louder "chic" sound.

I currently play music in a band in which I actually don't need a ride cymbal. The music is all hi hat work:
Jungle Boogie
Let's Have Some Fun
(the Bar-Kays)
Brickhouse
Rock Steady
(I play the drum break on the bell of a crash cymbal)

I play these heel-down and I feel like I barely need to lift my big toe to open the hats, and I don't experience any fatigue.

As an experiment, I suggest you play along to the Bar-Kays tune Let's Have Some Fun. Play the hats as they are in the recording and see when & where the fatigue comes in (if any). It's a great tune to work on hat control (well, it was for me).

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, the DW stuff just feels heavier anyway. I’d recommend a Yamaha CrossTown hi hat. Because of the inherent lightness of the stand, it feels a lot lighter in my foot compared with the DW5000/9000 that I used to play.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Trick hi-hat stand is incredibly easy to close. The lightest and fastest feel you can imagine. Also, the stand is super-light and easy to setup and take down, and doesn’t take up much room. I love mine.

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
I think the Pearl Redline Eliminator Hi Hat stand is the best option. Just based on the option you have the interchangeable cams that can really change the way the pedal feels.

Like Mentioned above, DW stuff is sometimes heavy to a fault. But the Pearl hi hat stands is truly the most adjustable on the market

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member

x
pen_HH905D_00_01.png
These are great! The DD lever just makes everything smooth and knot free.
The Tama Classic H-Hat Stand HH55F is another great one. Really small, light & easy to pack up.