any info on this kit (zep kit)

drummerds

so i want the ludwig zep kit, a step up form my rogers i think? im not sure how good it is because theres not that much info on it if looked around and now need help

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ludwig-Zep-Set-Accent-Series-Drumset?sku=447754

this is the one exact i have my heart set on but is it good? or possibly great but still at a low price, I also like it because i want to stay in my classic brit drum style
or sound like bill ward form the late 60s and early 70s (even tho he used singerland), or of coarse all around bonham style

but ya who knows about this kit??

well its poplar so i dont know if it's a step up but maybe get a higher quality zep set would be nice

For a Zep sound... used Ludwig classic maple or vistalite.

You'd get a more powerful sound than the (discontinued) accent if you had a custom drum shop make one from Keller shells. It would cost roughly what the imported wood would cost...except it would be made of Canadian rock maple.

Try to buy a used Zep kit, as you'll be able to get more bang for your buck.
As long as it's pure maple/birch, you should be fine though.

well i need to stay under $1.800ish but still have that zep sabbath cool double kick style i am, so other than this kit any suggestions?

well i need to stay under $1.800ish but still have that zep sabbath cool double kick style i am, so other than this kit any suggestions?

Carmine Appices Vanilla fudge kit.

Think: Bonham kit, except two kicks.

Although this is not the same as a Classic Maple, it's still a very nice kit.

I have heard a couple of these kits, and with good tuning they can sound great.
Not the same cut, projection etc..as a CM (that costs twice as much), but really nice, and more than enough quality of sound to use in a higher level giging situation.

This kit seems to be discontinued, but any parts that would ever need to be replaced in the future, Ludwig would have the parts, say if a lug insert gets stripped or something.

There aren't many kits out there that have a 26" kick in this price, so if it's what you really want, then I'd say it might be one to consider seriously.

I think THIS kit is nicer than the Gretsch that has the 26" bass drum in a one up, two down config.

Silver sparkle is always real nice, and it looked really good under stage lights.
I also saw the Natural Maple, and it was REALLY well done (on the clear coat) and looked great as far as the grain too.

My 2 cents

As soon as you take this kit home, or pull it out of the box, it's gonna loose 33-50% of it's value. Check out this Tama kit, with a 26" kick http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMA-DRUM-SET-W...ryZ38097QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem add a 18" floor to the deal...and wham. You could even make a matching 18" floor, by taking any Tama floor and re-wrapping it with a birdseye maple veneer. Shop used, you'll find a much better 26, something, something, something kit for the same kinda cash, or less.

Yet another option:

There are still DDRUM diode dominator (acrylic) kits for sale at $1800. I don't know if amber is still available, but clear and smoky still is.

Here you go, a perfectly restorable REAL vintage set of REAL Ludwig drums with REAL maple shells. It'll most likely go for cheap as it's in need of TLC, but there's NO denying, it'll be better every day of the week than those new Accent Ludwigs.

These king sized cans will blow the ba77z off a charging Rhino at 40 paces. Go get 'em tiger.

No, they're not my auction, nor do I know who's they are. Just some BIG drums, cheap.

LUDWIG DRUM SET WITH 26" BASS DRUM

Here you go, a perfectly restorable REAL vintage set of REAL Ludwig drums. It'll most likely go for cheap as it's in need of TLC, but there's NO denying, it'll be better every day of the week than those new Accent Ludwigs.

These king sized cans will blow the ba77z off a charging Rhino at 40 paces. Go get 'em tiger.

No, they're not my auction, nor do I know who's they are. Just some BIG drums, cheap.

He better buy it, I may snipe bid that....I am setting up my "bid bot." >:]

If you're gonna get one, ya better hurry, because I heard (not long ago) that Ludwig is going to discontinue the Accent and replace it with something else.
This may mean the end of this "cost effective" version of the Bonzo kit.
As far as this kit is concerned, it should be noted that Bonzo never used a 13" tom (on purpose, anyway).
All the kits most famously associated with Bonzo had 14" rack toms on them, except for the SS kits, which had a 15 up top.
FWIW, if you wanna "Bonzo-ish" kit for not much money, this is probably your best bet.

Elvis

Here you go, a perfectly restorable REAL vintage set of REAL Ludwig drums with REAL maple shells. It'll most likely go for cheap as it's in need of TLC, but there's NO denying, it'll be better every day of the week than those new Accent Ludwigs.

OR, if you absolutely HAVE to have the Accent kit, here's one for cheap bux on eBay:

New Ludwig 5pc Accent Bonham Zep Set - Buy It Now price: $895.00

It's got hardware and everything, not a bad deal.

I'd say that's a very good deal, hardware included is nice too.

Here's another Accent Zep kit in natural, it's more money but the pics are good to see the finish and not just from a pic from the catalog.
The finish is done really well on these kits.

It's not a Classic Maple like I said, but it depends on what level you are at playing, gigging, how much you want to spend for the level you're at all that stuff.

I don't think these are bad drums at all, they can sound very good, and you don't have to fool around with refinishing anything, or getting someone to do it if you can't or don't know how.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-LR1365EC...ryZ38097QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!

I'd say that's a very good deal, hardware included is nice too.

Here's another Accent Zep kit in natural, it's more money but the pics are good to see the finish and not just from a pic from the catalog.
The finish is done really well on these kits.

It's not a Classic Maple like I said, but it depends on what level you are at playing, gigging, how much you want to spend for the level you're at all that stuff.

I don't think these are bad drums at all, they can sound very good, and you don't have to fool around with refinishing anything, or getting someone to do it if you can't or don't know how.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-LR1365EC...ryZ38097QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck!
For $895.00?? Really, how could you go wrong?? With hardware and everything, at an entry level kit's price. Set it up, add your cymbals and you're gigging!!

If I was in need of a kit, I'd surely grab it for THAT price!!

Hello Drummerds, if I may give my 2 cents on this Zep set by Ludwig, what I say is "DON"T GET IT". If you like the Zep set as I do, my configuration is in a Sonor same sizes of drums, then you should get the real thing as in the maple ludwig, thats a great a set that will last a long time, and you will be happy with it. I worked in a music drum department for a long time, and I can tell you the absolute most brutally put together drums were the Accent line by Ludwig, the wrap sucks, the shells always separated and there seemed to be holes in the things on a consistant basis. I am a huge Ludwig fan, but if your gonna spend 13 to 15 hundred bucks on a kit in those sizes stay away from the Accent and look at other drum company's, if you are set on Ludwig then do yourself a favor, save a bit more money and get the better kit, trust me you will thank me down the road. For those drummers out there that have the Accent and like them, I'm sorry for my remarks and good for you, I'm just speaking of what I've seen in this series.
Cheers..
As noted in my previous post, it is NOT 1300 to 1500 dollars, it's 850 WITH hardware and it there are NO problems with the wrap as it DOESN'T HAVE A WRAP, it's natural. :D

Granted, it doesn't sound like the MUCH more expensive Maple, and it's not designed to, but sometimes you just don't HAVE the kind of money it takes to buy top of the line.

No one is claiming that it'll REPLACE the REAL kit, just that it's a good alternative for the price!!

"They SEEM to have holes in them on a consistent basis??" What does that MEAN exactly?? If there were THAT many problems with them, considering how many of these kits have sold it would be a bit more common knowledge, NO??

It seems you don't like them for whatever reason, as YOU had a bad experience with them. IDK, but for $850 WITH hardware, that's a good deal. I doubt other companies have such a good value priced kit WITH everything you'll need excepting cymbals for a price like that!! You'll want for NOTHING. as it's complete!

Of course if you want the REAL top of the line kit, you'll be ponying up SUBSTANTIALLY more that that. Sure it's WORTH it, but some of us just don't HAVE it. Simple math.

The snare is wood though. Bonham only used the 402 Supraphonic. Occasionally a Black Beauty. According to Ochletree.

Back