Any hockey fans?

someguy01

Platinum Member
From the fringe: Use a 3 or 5 wood, it will impart just enough loft to get the ball up and moving and maintain a truer roll on the putting surface.
Golf tips from maintenance: DO NOT replace your divot in Bermuda or Zoysia grass fairways, just sand fill it to level the turf will fill in on it's own. DO replace your divot in Bentgrass or Rye/Bluegrass fairways.
Don't drive your cart anywhere, it's about the health of the turf not just to make you walk. Use the designated areas.
You mow your lawn at 3"+, it can handle heat and traffic stress, my fairways are 5/8" (.625) approaches, tees, and green surrounds are mowed at .425", and my greens are mowed at .085". These heights make your experience better, but the turf needs more care due to the miniscule leaf blade.
What you see on TV is absurd and no regular course could be held at those standards for an entire season of golfers, plus play would be really slow.
On tour we mowed fairways at .375" (3/8), withheld water and rolled them. That's why the ball rolls for 70+ yards off the tee for those guys. If we did that at your local muni, the fairways would be dead.
Don't bother about green speed, it's a misunderstood number. If I set greens at a 14, you'd miss putts all day long. Want to practice what that's like? If you have a rink near you, practice putting on the ice as it's really close to the same. Or use a smooth concrete floor.
FYI: the stimpmeter measurement of 14 means that the ball rolls 14 feet averaged when acted upon by only gravity. That's really fast. Tour average is 10-12. Oakmont's members keep their greens at a 16. It's absurd trying to putt there.
Safest place on a golf course? The middle of the fairway next to the 150 marker. About 2% of the golfing public could hit you. Most dangerous place? Anywhere on the right side from 200 to 150 out from the green.
80% of the golfing public has never broken 100. 90% have never broken 80. Enjoy the game, don't hold yourself to standards you can never meet.
Because this thread is about hockey, Rod Brind'Amour is a sick golfer. Several of the Hurricanes were members of a property I worked for in NC. Those guys murder a golf ball off the tee but have a touch around the greens that is awe inspiring at times.

Most important: FIX YOUR DAMN BALL MARKS!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
80% of the golfing public has never broken 100. 90% have never broken 80.
Never looked at it like this. When I golfed, my average was around 90. All I ever thought was "man I really suck at this game". Looking at it as a community average, guess I wasnt as bad as I thought.

Miniature hockey, that should be a thing. Just like mini golf, but on ice with skates, sticks, and colored pucks.

someguy01

Platinum Member
All I ever thought was "man I really suck at this game"
You and like every golfer I've ever seen in my 20+ years in the industry. It's why the men don't have near the fun of the ladies when they play. IME he ladies just go have a good time, enjoy the day and the company. Guys all have to make it a competition and try to perfect everything.

Whenever I tell folks that the golfers they see on TV are less than 0.1% of all the people who play the game worldwide, they relax.

People don't try to play football like the pros in their weekend pick up games. They don't do it for any other game, with exception to golf. It's fascinating. Mainly because of all the sports out there, golf could very well be one of the hardest.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
You and like every golfer I've ever seen in my 20+ years in the industry. It's why the men don't have near the fun of the ladies when they play. IME he ladies just go have a good time, enjoy the day and the company. Guys all have to make it a competition and try to perfect everything.

Whenever I tell folks that the golfers they see on TV are less than 0.1% of all the people who play the game worldwide, they relax.

People don't try to play football like the pros in their weekend pick up games. They don't do it for any other game, with exception to golf. It's fascinating. Mainly because of all the sports out there, golf could very well be one of the hardest.

this is why it was always hard for my buddies to golf with me...I only ever made it competitive with myself, but never really cared about me versus the other people. I never kept score, but also never took 3 or 4 shots per turn.

My grandpa - who was in the small %age of really good non-pros - told me to play every game of golf as if the next stroke was worth a million dollars. Don't cheat. Take your time to read any and all of your shots. I never played for distance. I played for accuracy and ball placement. I never tool legit lessons, and was always happy just to be out and walking the courses. To see the different hole designs. I still will not use a cart unless it is mandatory by the club.

It is very hard for me to play anymore because the courses are full of people who have only been on a putt putt course, or who play what I call "full contact" or "Jeep" golf (where they basically swoop in, tear up the course, are loud, throw the flagstick around the green...drive the carts on the tees or greens 🤬😤, play music etc)...I found my self almost getting in fights.

I have to play in the evenings anymore, when people are all gone, and I can go at my own pace without errant balls rolling past me on my 2nd or 3rd shots. And not that I play slow - I can get a round of 18 in by myself, walking, in just about 2 hours...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!

Game 5 was AWESOME. The bolts went down...gotta head to FLA and seal the deal

baz

Silver Member
I met my Wife the night the Oilers won their first Stanley Cup.

That was thirty eight years ago. She grew up in Montreal so the Habs are her team.

l played hockey for years and can not help to notice the similarities between drumming and goaltending. First off, drummers/goalies have to schlep the most gear. Drummers/goalies are the ones most thought of as a little bit sideways. lf the band/team sucks, the drummer/goalie can keep them on track and in the game. If the drummer/goalie sucks, the band/team sucks. Concentration, anticipation and observation are as important as your gear. A puck in the nuts or a beer bottle to the head, ouch is ouch.
4C0E3A80-DFE0-4CF3-AAEF-99E1C29AEDC5.jpeg4F047CD6-F982-4D87-9D72-5E060BCE5AE1.jpeg
A much younger man and a much older me.

Stay safe all and go Oilers

Barry

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I met my Wife the night the Oilers won their first Stanley Cup.

That was thirty eight years ago. She grew up in Montreal so the Habs are her team.

l played hockey for years and can not help to notice the similarities between drumming and goaltending. First off, drummers/goalies have to schlep the most gear. Drummers/goalies are the ones most thought of as a little bit sideways. lf the band/team sucks, the drummer/goalie can keep them on track and in the game. If the drummer/goalie sucks, the band/team sucks. Concentration, anticipation and observation are as important as your gear. A puck in the nuts or a beer bottle to the head, ouch is ouch.
View attachment 119394View attachment 119395
A much younger man and a much older me.

Stay safe all and go Oilers

Barry

there is so much AWESOME ini that first pic!!! I started in goal as young tyke in 77...in Central Ohio. I was one of maybe 5 total goalies in my area back then. (No one knew about hockey in Ohio till the late 80's). That old (looking) gear brings back sooo many memories!! Moved out to play wing in college (b/c there were WAAAAYYYYY better goalies then me there) and played until about 7 years ago when II caught a rut backing out of the zone and fell over my leg awkwardly...it ripped my hamsting, and part of my calf muscle off of the bone, so that was pretty much it.

Only in the past year have i had enough strength back to try to skate again, but I am a serious board hugger right now. I fear that ripping feeling again. Talk about a huge mental hit too....I was a rink rat for 4 something years, and now iit is like I never skated...super frustrating...

so if you can stiill play, CHERISH THAT TIME!!! II don't know if I ever will again!!!

and my Leafs are out, as is the norm 😑 so Ii will say Go Oilers for now as well!!! A great, storied franchise for sure

Reactions: baz