Any hockey fans?

Mike_b

which ECHL team(s)? I had season tix to the first 5 years of the Columbus Chill back in the early 90's....best times of my life!!!
I'll tell you a funny story, I was downstairs at my uncle's house and he got a call on the phone he went 'WHAT!!???" Me and my bro looked at each other to laugh, it was my cousin calling him to let him know he broke his nose in a rec game! Martin said this to his son:" Dave why don't you just pack it in and play for the ECHL for Christmas sake, that way at least you're getting paid to be banged around!" Lol. I'll never forget that lol. Quad city mallards, and Florida Everglades.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I'll tell you a funny story, I was downstairs at my uncle's house and he got a call on the phone he went 'WHAT!!???" Me and my bro looked at each other to laugh, it was my cousin calling him to let him know he broke his nose in a rec game! Martin said this to his son:" Dave why don't you just pack it in and play for the ECHL for Christmas sake, that way at least you're getting paid to be banged around!" Lol. I'll never forget that lol. Quad city mallards, and Florida Everglades.

so true!!! The first few years the Chill were in town, some of them would stay in town and play rec league for a bit in the Spring before they went home to Canada. Back then, we had a total of 4 teams - grassroots hockey was nothing in the 70's, 80's and 90's here in town - and they would just spread themselves put across the teams and have fun. It was also way cool for all of us noobs b/c they would coach, and help us with our knowledge of the game. There were NO EOGS in that bunch!!

in c-bus back then, there were really only about 1000 people who knew of hockey beyond Slapshot and Wayne Gretzky...it has been cool to see it grow into a town what we call a "legit" hockey place....not anything like the legendary cities have, but the me of 1984 would NEVER have thought that we would have high school hockey, more than 2 ice rinks...and legit ice surfaces..., a grassroots hockey culture, and guys from C-bus playing in the NHL, the local news talking about hockey during sports...it has been a dream come true

but also, in a way, it used to be cool to be a part of this "secret society" of people; I miss the days of doing 6:30am morning skates on the outdoor rink that still had chainlink fence for "glass", and a huge hearth in the lobby with a real fire going; I miss having to explain why my license plate said 'Leafs';

anywho, sorry for rambling. your story reminded me of the old days!!!

Mike_b

so true!!! The first few years the Chill were in town, some of them would stay in town and play rec league for a bit in the Spring before they went home to Canada. Back then, we had a total of 4 teams - grassroots hockey was nothing in the 70's, 80's and 90's here in town - and they would just spread themselves put across the teams and have fun. It was also way cool for all of us noobs b/c they would coach, and help us with our knowledge of the game. There were NO EOGS in that bunch!!

in c-bus back then, there were really only about 1000 people who knew of hockey beyond Slapshot and Wayne Gretzky...it has been cool to see it grow into a town what we call a "legit" hockey place....not anything like the legendary cities have, but the me of 1984 would NEVER have thought that we would have high school hockey, more than 2 ice rinks...and legit ice surfaces..., a grassroots hockey culture, and guys from C-bus playing in the NHL, the local news talking about hockey during sports...it has been a dream come true

but also, in a way, it used to be cool to be a part of this "secret society" of people; I miss the days of doing 6:30am morning skates on the outdoor rink that still had chainlink fence for "glass", and a huge hearth in the lobby with a real fire going; I miss having to explain why my license plate said 'Leafs';

anywho, sorry for rambling. your story reminded me of the old days!!!
No problem buddy man! I was this close to winning a chance to meet Gretzky as a kid. Instead I won the Easton aluminum signed autographed Wayne Gretzky stick I still have it to this day, but I did not win the main prize!

Your comments remind me of all the tragically hip songs over the years what a rich hockey heritage! By the way when you mention chill is that Chilliwack? I'm not very good with GTA cities lol if that happens to be one!

Gotta love those 7 o clock am practices eh?
My cousin Paul coaches at the orange bowl in Florida, it's something for the kids.

Hockey school was great as a youngster. Man memories. I remember a player on our team his dad was a Sensai. Needless to say he kicked our ass once a week lol.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

No problem buddy man! I was this close to winning a chance to meet Gretzky as a kid. Instead I won the Easton aluminum signed autographed Wayne Gretzky stick I still have it to this day, but I did not win the main prize!

it is great to even have the stick though!! Man, aluminum sticks...that takes me back. I hated those. I don't like light sticks. Untill about 5 years ago, I was still using my good old Sherwood Paul Coffey wooden sticks. I finally broke down and got a simmilar composite model (when my step kids, wife, and many of my team mates were just making too much fun of me)

Your comments remind me of all the tragically hip songs over the years what a rich hockey heritage! By the way when you mention chill is that Chilliwack? I'm not very good with GTA cities lol if that happens to be one!

nah...it was The Columbus Chill. And as far as I know, Chiiliwack was a Canadian band from the 70's right? I have never played GTA - or video games in general - so I would not know about that

Gotta love those 7 o clock am practices eh?
My cousin Paul coaches at the orange bowl in Florida, it's something for the kids.

Hockey school was great as a youngster. Man memories. I remember a player on our team his dad was a Sensai. Needless to say he kicked our ass once a week lol.

it was 5:45 for us....in the 70's there were 2 sheets of ice in the whole city, and the kids got the real early times. I did 5:45-7am...home for shower, and then right to school by 8. Always had band stuff after school ,so that worked for me to do both of my "loves"

Mike_b

it is great to even have the stick though!! Man, aluminum sticks...that takes me back. I hated those. I don't like light sticks. Untill about 5 years ago, I was still using my good old Sherwood Paul Coffey wooden sticks. I finally broke down and got a simmilar composite model (when my step kids, wife, and many of my team mates were just making too much fun of me)

nah...it was The Columbus Chill. And as far as I know, Chiiliwack was a Canadian band from the 70's right? I have never played GTA - or video games in general - so I would not know about that

it was 5:45 for us....in the 70's there were 2 sheets of ice in the whole city, and the kids got the real early times. I did 5:45-7am...home for shower, and then right to school by 8. Always had band stuff after school ,so that worked for me to do both of my "loves"
Thanks for sharing that man!

Mike_b

Man up here in Winnipeg we've been blessed with two extremely well shooters. Both from Finland. Teemu Selanne and Patrick Laine. Laine is a good shooter, but Selanne will probably go down as the best jet 76 goals in his first year. Both of them would play shinny with the neighborhood kids. But Teemu was an ambassador while things for Laine got rough real quick (traded) anyway I used to use titan brand sticks, they had a layer of fibreglass underneath the blade so you only had to wrap your stick one time!

My pops used to build a rink in the back, we used to used to use coke bottle caps to make up the butt end of the stick (save us some black tape) lol.and most of our gear was handed down from the Prince Albert raiders! We took many trips to see the dub (whl) great memories of riding on the team bus as a kid while they spun around the parking lot lol.

Then in the summer, our gloves with the fingers chewed through we used as lacrosse gloves. Didn't have the money for the real ones.lol.

Then as adults we would rent out time in the highlander arena around 130 in the morning. It was late but it didn't feel like that while we were in there with all the lights on and stuff. We stuffed down goon burgers to get our name on the wall for the heck of it.

Nowadays when I walk the track at the YMCA, there is a league of floor hockey players. I never laced up, but the boys swear that they must make it out every morning! Adds a nice treat for the day before work!

The Shepherd

I played hockey for two years when I was a kid. That ended when my parents split up. Years later in my late teens / twenties, we used to rent the ice at the civic center on a Friday night after work and we'd go out and play 3 on 3. We'd use a hockey ball since we weren't wearing pads except for the goalies. We'd bring beers, get half cranked and go whizzing up and down the rink. Good times!

I haven't been on skates in about 15 years. I don't know how my knees / back would take it anymore.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Man up here in Winnipeg we've been blessed with two extremely well shooters. Both from Finland. Teemu Selanne and Patrick Laine. Laine is a good shooter, but Selanne will probably go down as the best jet 76 goals in his first year. Both of them would play shinny with the neighborhood kids. But Teemu was an ambassador while things for Laine got rough real quick (traded) anyway I used to use titan brand sticks, they had a layer of fibreglass underneath the blade so you only had to wrap your stick one time!

My pops used to build a rink in the back, we used to used to use coke bottle caps to make up the butt end of the stick (save us some black tape) lol.and most of our gear was handed down from the Prince Albert raiders! We took many trips to see the dub (whl) great memories of riding on the team bus as a kid while they spun around the parking lot lol.

Then in the summer, our gloves with the fingers chewed through we used as lacrosse gloves. Didn't have the money for the real ones.lol.

Then as adults we would rent out time in the highlander arena around 130 in the morning. It was late but it didn't feel like that while we were in there with all the lights on and stuff. We stuffed down goon burgers to get our name on the wall for the heck of it.

Nowadays when I walk the track at the YMCA, there is a league of floor hockey players. I never laced up, but the boys swear that they must make it out every morning! Adds a nice treat for the day before work!

yea...Selane was great!!

We got Laine here now in C-bus....and will hopefully use him more effectively this season....I still can't believe he ended up here!!

the closest ice surface to us was a public park pond that froze over when we had real winters here back in the 70's and 80's. We would bike down with skates and sticks on shoulders and play all day. They divided the pond into a hockey area, and a non-hockey area.

when I was in college, I was a rink rat at the little rink at Ohio State. I pretty much lived in that place. All of my friends worked there, or managed there, so we would do the same thing...up all night skating or screwing around; stumble to class at 8am with bodies burning....there were many nights where we would fall asleep in the bleachers as well...great times. We used to play football on the ice too....that was brutal. I think more injuries were had in that situation than in regular hockey games

Super Phil

I like to see the teams in non-traditional markets do well. (Nashville, Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Arizona, etc) So I'm glad to see Vegas and Tampa still in the playoffs.

Back in the 90's I went to school and played for 3 years at Shattuck St. Mary's school in Minnesota. Other notable alumni include Sydney Crosby, Jonathan Toews, and Nathan MacKinnon, etc. After that i played 4 years at Weber State University, played a year in the Netherlands, then went to training camp with the Idaho Steelheads in the ECHL. I got a hernia there, had to have surgery, and called it good after that. 😄

I was also lucky enough to work for a stick company as a pro and college rep for a couple years. That rocked... meeting tons of players and getting sticks for free was incredible. Wish I still had that gig!

Lee-Bro

I picked up playing beer league hockey 10 years ago, but haven't played in a while due to band stuff.

I went to the Winter Classic a few years ago when the Wings played the Leafs at the UofM. Over 100,000 sitting in a blizzard watching hockey.

I'm the guy to the left in the green Under Armour coat. My girlfriend is sitting a row in front of me in the black coat w/ the black earmuffs:
1624311558385.png

Also got to skate @ Comerica Park a couple days before.
1624311390577.png

I also officiate roller derby:
1624311827298.png

Mike_b

I like to see the teams in non-traditional markets do well. (Nashville, Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Arizona, etc) So I'm glad to see Vegas and Tampa still in the playoffs.

Back in the 90's I went to school and played for 3 years at Shattuck St. Mary's school in Minnesota. Other notable alumni include Sydney Crosby, Jonathan Toews, and Nathan MacKinnon, etc. After that i played 4 years at Weber State University, played a year in the Netherlands, then went to training camp with the Idaho Steelheads in the ECHL. I got a hernia there, had to have surgery, and called it good after that. 😄

I was also lucky enough to work for a stick company as a pro and college rep for a couple years. That rocked... meeting tons of players and getting sticks for free was incredible. Wish I still had that gig!
I feel for ya man. Had two powerful hernias, chronic pain in the pelvis, and a bad left foot. But you do what you can, I may not be able to play a note on the hihat with my foot very well but I can still add character to the jam. Lol

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I picked up playing beer league hockey 10 years ago, but haven't played in a while due to band stuff.

I went to the Winter Classic a few years ago when the Wings played the Leafs at the UofM. Over 100,000 sitting in a blizzard watching hockey.

I'm the guy to the left in the green Under Armour coat. My girlfriend is sitting a row in front of me in the black coat w/ the black earmuffs:
View attachment 105593

Also got to skate @ Comerica Park a couple days before.
View attachment 105592

I also officiate roller derby:
View attachment 105594

DUDE!!!! Soooo jealous. I wanted to go to that game. My wife is a Red Wings fan (from Trenton Mi) and actually worked for them for a while back in the 90's...and I am a Leafs fan, but I was also involved in marching band stuff that weekend

Lee-Bro

DUDE!!!! Soooo jealous. I wanted to go to that game. My wife is a Red Wings fan (from Trenton Mi) and actually worked for them for a while back in the 90's...and I am a Leafs fan, but I was also involved in marching band stuff that weekend

When I met my girlfriend 20+ years ago, I hated hockey. I thought it was stupid Ice Capade rejects. I finally came around and it's my favorite sport.

She's from New Baltimore, MI and moved to Cincy about 16 years ago. For the Winter Classic, we went with a group of Wings fans she's part of -who pooled money and brought a fan, "Herm" from Brazil to Detroit for a game back in 2010. It was a pretty amazing event:

Here's a video link of that event. You may have to watch it on Facebook directly:

MntnMan62

Go Islanders!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

When I met my girlfriend 20+ years ago, I hated hockey. I thought it was stupid Ice Capade rejects. I finally came around and it's my favorite sport.

She's from New Baltimore, MI and moved to Cincy about 16 years ago. For the Winter Classic, we went with a group of Wings fans she's part of -who pooled money and brought a fan, "Herm" from Brazil to Detroit for a game back in 2010. It was a pretty amazing event:

Here's a video link of that event. You may have to watch it on Facebook directly:

funny thaty ou mentioned Ice Capades....my wife was a professional figure skater...she tried out for the 1988 Olympic team. She skated with and trained with some of the same coaches as Nancy Karrigan back then...she is older than Karrigan, but they knew each other well. She toured with Ice Capades and Disney on Ice for a while, and also was a skating coach working with Kirk Maltsby, the Hatcher brothers, and some of the other prospects back in the day up in Detroit. She literally lived right across from the Troy Ice Arena where the Red Wings practiced. She is also knew Darren Turcotte and was around when he started his hockey school...her youngest was a member of some of his first camps

needless to say, when we go to the rink, it is humbling to be on the ice with her...I am a beer league hack fumbling around, and she is in the middle doing double axels and all of that stuff. I am always like ;) "yeah, i'm with her"

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

18,000 Vegas fans stunned into silence - again. Go Habs.

as much as I hate The Habs....it is awesome to see the bandwagon hit the wall....