Any Gretsch '57 renown or older renown owners here?

T_Weaves

Silver Member
There's a used set of black '57 Renowns at local music store for $800. 5 pc including the snare. VERY good condition except for the heads. I've looked at them once and was impressed even though they're heavy as hell.

Same as these...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3zAXZ68goQ

The question I have is, are the older shells of the '57s and stop sign renowns a different composition than the RN1's and RN2's?

Thanks in advance for any info.

As far as I know the older Renowns including the 57 have all North American maple shells and the RN1 and 2 have a blend of American and Asian maple. That's going on what Gretsch have said about them on their site in the past and now. I remember they claimed at the time they were 100% NA maple.

And yes, I own the older black stop sign badge version. They sound great but as you said are heavy as hell. $800 is a good deal. Is the 57 throne included? Those were nice.

At that price I would be all over them.. I see them on Ebay all of the time for twice that. Used

A few years ago someone posted on my local CL an ad for a brand new still in boxes 57' kit for $900. I kick myself every day for not scooping those up. Don't make the same mistake I did Jim!

There's a used set of black '57 Renowns at local music store for $800. 5 pc including the snare. VERY good condition except for the heads. I've looked at them once and was impressed even though they're heavy as hell.

Same as these...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3zAXZ68goQ

The question I have is, are the older shells of the '57s and stop sign renowns a different composition than the RN1's and RN2's?

Thanks in advance for any info.

The RN series Renown is a wonderful $800 kit with all NA wood (supposedly). The only upgrade I found worthwhile was the GTS.

As far as I know the older Renowns including the 57 have all North American maple shells and the RN1 and 2 have a blend of American and Asian maple. That's going on what Gretsch have said about them on their site in the past and now. I remember they claimed at the time they were 100% NA maple.

I remember reading something similar too. thanks.

And yes, I own the older black stop sign badge version. They sound great but as you said are heavy as hell. $800 is a good deal. Is the 57 throne included? Those were nice.

Can't remember if the throne was there with them. I don't think it was. Not a big deal to me.

At that price I would be all over them.. I see them on Ebay all of the time for twice that. Used

I'm gonna go look at them again tomorrow and do the fine tooth comb inspection. Pop a head off each one to check the shells, bearing edges etc. I'll post back here tomorrow after I look at them again. One thing I do remember is how heavy that floor tom was. That thing would go through the roof of a car if you threw it out a 10 story window! hehe

A few years ago someone posted on my local CL an ad for a brand new still in boxes 57' kit for $900. I kick myself every day for not scooping those up. Don't make the same mistake I did Jim!

That's crazy cheap for new! I always wanted a renown kit having played another guy's set a gig once. I like the fact that a GOOD snare is included and I really don't see how I could lose money on them if I decide to sell them someday. I have a "thing" for black drums too. :)

I remember they clearanced these kits out cheap a few years back. I was partial to the aqua/white one, but there was no way I would've put it on stage.

I remember they clearanced these kits out cheap a few years back. I was partial to the aqua/white one, but there was no way I would've put it on stage.

Yeah, I find the aqua and red versions kind of garish but I like the black and white. I wouldn't think twice about playing them on stage. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Renown is a Renown in my book. Finish is about 4th on the list for me when buying used drums. Shells, hoops, hardware come first. One thing I truly can't stand are triple flange hoops so they do check that box although it does make them heavier.

Got a black and white 57 bop and it's a great sounding kit.
Paid $700 new when they were being blown out.
Not a big fan of the chevron thing,but the piano black finish is awesome.

I paid 650.00 7 years ago for my Renown that were bought, never set up, and sold to me. I can attest to how heavy the 14 inch floor tom is. I have a 16 inch Catalina Maple floor tom that is lighter.

The silver and white chevrons can be removed if you're careful. They're made of thin metal and can be pealed if you have a good set of needle-nose pliers and take your time. I've seen this done on a few of these kits and you're left with a beautiful solid-color lacquer finish. The only downside, if you really care about this, is that you're left with no badge on any of the drums because the "Gretsch" script logo is part of the chevron.

Made a deal for them today. $600 and my yamaha oak custom snare, which I never use, for the kit, snare and a set road runner soft cases for all the drums, even the snare.

Let me get them cleaned up a bit and I'll post some pics. Shell condition, bearing edges are pristine. Hoops are very good with just a little bit of pitting on one of the toms. Couple nicks in the finish and the obligatory pedal rash you get on a used kit.

Sweet! Congratulations on the kit. Looking forward to the pics.

These pics are after removing all the heads, wiping out the shells, polished chrome, and put on some G2 clears that I had here already. Kit came with unworn G1 clear resos and good emad clear battter on the bass drum.

I don't think the original heads were ever off before today. Shells and bearing edges are beautiful. Bass drum reso is stock with totally butchered hole that looks better in that they put the trim ring on. It'll due for now. Only dings or nicks are on the Chevrons ( bass drum and floor tom ). All in all it's sweet kit for not a lot of dough. G2's over G1's sound really nice!! I'm really happy with them.

Attachments

• 001a.jpg
    001a.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 005a.jpg
    005a.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 011a.jpg
    011a.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 010a.jpg
    010a.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 015a.jpg
    015a.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 023a.jpg
    023a.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 027a.jpg
    027a.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 251
  • 035a.jpg
    035a.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 251
Awesome. Good deal on them as well.

Sweeeeet looking kit. Love the black..congrats Jim

Awesome. Good deal on them as well.

Sweeeeet looking kit. Love the black..congrats Jim

Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words. I know some people think the chevrons are corny looking but I see, and hear, a north american maple piano black renown kit with the silver sealer and that "great gretsch sound."

I'm going to leave them as is for now save for maybe a more traditional snare head. Clear G2 looks pretty cool on the snare tho!! :)

I've already thought about maybe taking the chevrons off at some point and even adding natural maple hoops on the bass drum! Leave them all black laquer without badges except for maybe a Gretsch logo on the BD reso. Mystery kit!

've already thought about maybe taking the chevrons off at some point and even adding natural maple hoops on the bass drum! Leave them all black laquer without badges except for maybe a Gretsch logo on the BD reso. Mystery kit!

We had another user do this with aftermarket-support badge replacements. Came out nice looking.

My feeling on the matter is that... The 57's aesthetic would would be great on stage. Whether you find them ugly or beautiful, the thing is definitely an eye-catcher, and that is useful live. Budget a white suit to finish the look and you're all set. After the show you can pick up chicks with recycled Ricardo Montalban lines....

If you looking for a used black RN, the "Transparent Ebony" finish is awesome.

We had another user do this with aftermarket-support badge replacements. Came out nice looking.

My feeling on the matter is that... The 57's aesthetic would would be great on stage. Whether you find them ugly or beautiful, the thing is definitely an eye-catcher, and that is useful live. Budget a white suit to finish the look and you're all set. After the show you can pick up chicks with recycled Ricardo Montalban lines....

If you looking for a used black RN, the "Transparent Ebony" finish is awesome.

I'm gonna have to talk to these guys first....

Attachments

• cast.jpg
    cast.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 230
Back