Any gigs cancelled due to the virus?

Bay Area; CA:
===
All non-essential gatherings of any size are now banned, along with non-essential travel “on foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile or public transit.” People may travel for shopping for necessary supplies, accessing health care, and providing aid to family and friends who need assistance, and for non-residents, returning to their home outside the Bay Area. Airports, taxis, and public transit — including BART — will remain operational, but only for essential travel and people are expected to keep six feet apart when possible.
===
So I guess this is a resounding "yes, gigs are cancelled".

That's just horrible for all concerned - the letdown of losing such a hard won gig alone is bad enough, let alone the costs & ill informed treatment.

They seem to be in good spirits, despite all of the issues so there's at least that. They must have known they'd be potential issues once SXSW was cancelled recently. Not that a travel ban would be announced whilst they were over the Atlantic Ocean!!

I was joking today to one of their partners hopefully an interesting song comes of it. Knowing their good characters they'll make the best of it and have kept from venting about it on the bands social media pages.

I'm pretty sure we've lost quite a number of significant (for us) festivals & rallies over the coming months, but there's two or three in that mix that really bite. Of those, perhaps the one under most threat is the F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone scheduled mid July. The F1 calendar is already starting to strain, & I think the likelihood of the whole season being canned is very high. That's a gig that took a lot of effort to snag. I can only hope they'll roll the booking over to 2021, & I'm still around to play it :(

Fingers crossed July comes around and things have settled for F1 and in all sports in the county, hope you get some good news over the next few months Andy.

Keeping my fingers crossed a lot of industries (connecting to music and not) can ride out the next few months. For the bands with bookings to the venues/events hosting them. So many people & industries connected to a big event - I suspect the catering industry, for example, is also under a lot of stress from cancellations.

Not a political post but a point on venues, our government telling the public to stay away from pubs/bars..etc today but not actually ordering them to close means bars/venues won't be able to claim on insurance, nor have access to any emergency funds to help keep them afloat while their trade is severely affected.

Hopefully that stance changes as I'm sure all avenues are being looked at as this could go on for some months but I hate to think how many small/medium sized independent music venues may close and no longer open when things improve.

Could be repercussions across the whole music scene for a while. Regardless, it's a situation forced on everyone worldwide and can't be helped. Health is more important.

Last edited:
Hi guys, long time no see and I wish good health to everyone.

Got a dilemma. I have regular paid weekend gigs with the band I'm in. The bandleader has pulled out till further notice because he has underlying ailments making him vulnerable. He's happy for the band to continue without him otherwise he was going to cancel all the gigs. I called our guitarist in the band and he wants to continue as do I.

But the bandleader said to me that it's not so much the risk to me as I'm healthy and it probably wouldn't be too bad, but because I look after my elderly mum (she's 92) three times a week (clean her home, take her shopping), that it's not a good idea for me to do gigs because it could be really dangerous for her if I happen to get the virus and pass it on. That it would basically be irresponsible of me.

He's absolutely right and it's put a question mark over my head. What should I do? Like many here, music is our living or a large part of it. I can't afford not to gig but at the same time it would be selfish to risk getting the virus and passing it on to my mum. Of course, there's always the chance that the venues will cancel and make the choice for me. But if not, is being in a venue any more risky than going to the supermarket?

Who else here is in regular contact with vulnerable friends or family over 70 years old and what decision are you coming to regarding gigs?

It would be a bit easier if I knew this would only need to be for a few weeks, but to not earn for several months is a hard pill to swallow.

Got a dilemma. I have regular paid weekend gigs with the band I'm in. The bandleader has pulled out till further notice because he has underlying ailments making him vulnerable. He's happy for the band to continue without him otherwise he was going to cancel all the gigs. I called our guitarist in the band and he wants to continue as do I.

But the bandleader said to me that it's not so much the risk to me as I'm healthy and it probably wouldn't be too bad, but because I look after my elderly mum (she's 92) three times a week (clean her home, take her shopping), that it's not a good idea for me to do gigs because it could be really dangerous for her if I happen to get the virus and pass it on. That it would basically be irresponsible of me.

He's absolutely right and it's put a question mark over my head. What should I do? Like many here, music is our living or a large part of it. I can't afford not to gig but at the same time it would be selfish to risk getting the virus and passing it on to my mum. Of course, there's always the chance that the venues will cancel and make the choice for me. But if not, is being in a venue any more risky than going to the supermarket?

Who else here is in regular contact with vulnerable friends or family over 70 years old and what decision are you coming to regarding gigs?

It would be a bit easier if I knew this would only need to be for a few weeks, but to not earn for several months is a hard pill to swallow.

Mate........you only have one mother. There will be other gigs.

MERLIN!

I've often wondered why we haven't heard from you lately. You were missed. Good to see your words lol.

Heck the guys in my band are 71 and 74 lol.

It is a dilemma, playing or voluntarily withdrawing.

The best thing to do is almost always the harder thing to do.

Last edited:
Bay Area; CA:
===
All non-essential gatherings of any size are now banned, along with non-essential travel “on foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile or public transit.” People may travel for shopping for necessary supplies, accessing health care, and providing aid to family and friends who need assistance, and for non-residents, returning to their home outside the Bay Area. Airports, taxis, and public transit — including BART — will remain operational, but only for essential travel and people are expected to keep six feet apart when possible.
===
So I guess this is a resounding "yes, gigs are cancelled".

Here's your link: https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Bay-Area-must-shelter-in-place-Only-15135014.php

here in Ohio, all bars closed; restaurants are drive thru/ carry out only...

our gigs are all canceled, but no biggie. Health is #1

time to hole up and chop out!!

MERLIN!

I've often wondered why we haven't heard from you lately. You were missed. Good to see your words lol.

Heck the guys in my band are 71 and 74 lol.

It is a dilemma, playing or voluntarily withdrawing.

The best thing to do is almost always the harder thing to do.

Hey larry! :) Very kind of you to say that and I've missed you and everyone here. Wow, been over a year I think. I hadn't stayed away for any reason other than just being busy with stuff and practicing. Yes, I see what you're saying, the right thing to do would be to voluntarily withdraw..

I just heard on the news that the US now has put together a vaccine but because of testing that has to be done, earliest availability will be 8 months time.

Last edited:
I gig on a weekend basis so as much as the money is nice to have, and has been earmarked for use this year already, it’s not essential.
The company I work for has effectively stood us down,. I work in an industry allied to healthcare and our job is seeing customers, because of the health risks and the fact that our customers are currently busy, to say the least, we’re sat at home until things change.
Because my employer has put our health so high on the agenda (our office staff have cleared their desks and are working from home, venues that have been booked are being cancelled with cost not on the agenda), because We’re having my parents both in their 80s round for dinner on Mother’s Day, and because the pub we were due to play on Saturday is particularly enclosed, filthy, and being brutally honest patronised by a high proportion of selfish punters (young, drunk, don’t even think to move out of the way at all during load out/ get on stage and dance while we’re still dismantling gear) I proposed this morning that we take the lead and cancel the gig. Followed by replies from band mates that they were also worried and are glad I took the initiative.
This whole thing could be something of nothing, or it could be cataclysmic, but it’s been easier for us to make the decision that we’ll take it one gig at a time because I’m not financially reliant on the band.
Fingers crossed that social distancing becomes a thing of the past sooner rather than later either because it’s worked, or because on balance the pain it causes to people’s mental health and the economy doesn’t justify any benefit it bestows on stopping transmission.

I've lost three bar gigs already, with many more sure to follow. Not my main source of income, but the extra cash was useful for many things. Sigh...just hoping we get enough of a handle on this that things can start to return to normal as soon as possible.

I decided on my own to bail on two upcoming gigs (one of those venues happened to cancel their shows this morning.) Future gigs are pending based on closures, and the situation in general. While I enjoy playing out, none of them are crucial in terms of my career, my income, or when weighed against my health.

We played our most recent gig last Friday, directly following statewide school closures. Within two days all public gatherings of 50 or more were cancelled and all restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues were asked to close. As our next planned gigs aren't until April, we're taking it as it comes.

We were set to play a birthday party for a lady turning 80 next month, but her next-door neighbor was diagnosed and passed away, and she's tested positive. It was an utterly gutting feeling to get the message that she might not even make it to her birthday.

I have a day job and my health, and I feel lucky. Our bass player is in his 60s and has had multiple health concerns in the last ten years. He organizes our local blues jam and open mic sessions, all of which are cancelled for the near future. Other than a military pension and disability, all his income is from gigs. It's very sobering.

I decided on my own to bail on two upcoming gigs (one of those venues happened to cancel their shows this morning.) Future gigs are pending based on closures, and the situation in general. While I enjoy playing out, none of them are crucial in terms of my career, my income, or when weighed against my health.

You could sell half your cymbals and survive for a year on just that. LOL

They cancelled my orchestra concert for next week. That’s $240 down the drain. The music wasn’t that exciting, but it was still money. Guess I’ll just hope we get some more overtime at work, what with all the students and other people forced to work from home right now. People need their internet to work well if they’re actually working from home.

Back