Any experience with the 21" K.C Special Dry Ride?

NerfLad

Silver Member
Every application I've heard that thing in I love it... It seems like a nicely balanced, versatile cymbal.

I think I'm going to pick one up here soon... I know ?uesto has one. Anybody else? What do you think of this cymbal?

jodgey4

Silver Member
Cold, dry, and metallic. Very unique, a friend has one, and every day I warm up to it more and more.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I had a 20 version. They are pretty variable in how clunky and metallic sounding they are. I got into washier and trashier rides and sold it to a friend who had a magic '60s A ride that was clean and dry stolen during a load out. My K wasn't quite as pingy. A bit more woody sounding. But it didn't have that gong like low frequency build up many heavy dry rides have.

I definitely would not buy one off the internet. You need a shop with a few of them to try. Or spend a couple days driving around trying all the ones you can find.

NerfLad

Silver Member
Just for clarification, I'm referring to the K Custom Special Dry Ride, which only comes in a 21" size. I have a 20" Custom Dry Light Ride (different cymbal) already, and it's just a little too dry and quiet. There is a regular Dry, a Dry Light, and a Special Dry; all different cymbals.

12x7

I have one. The best part of playing it is that it sounds great to your ears. It is a pleasing mellow, non-biting cymbal. You can lay into it with the shaft of the stick and it has a nice defined smash sound--- it does not ring out of control. The bell is very nice. even though the cymbal is "dry", the bell is not part of it. It is a nice large size, with decent volume.

The cymbal would pretty much work in any setting cause you can smash it without annoying sound problems and the bell cuts for anything. Although It is nice to have a 20 Paiste Signature Full for a nice defined stick ding in more amplified music. I also use an 18" K Heavy Ride----wow, this one takes the cake cause it is very crashable, and has an awesome stick sound. Nice dynamics and tones, NOT monotonal like my 20 K Dark Ride, which seems to have the same sound in most articulations. The bell on the 18 K Heavy Ride is kinda smallish, and not as pronounced----but who cares, all the other stuff makes it devastating for jazz and fusion or whenever you just want to lay into it. It sounds like it is on fire.

jodgey4

Silver Member
Just for clarification, I'm referring to the K Custom Special Dry Ride, which only comes in a 21" size. I have a 20" Custom Dry Light Ride (different cymbal) already, and it's just a little too dry and quiet. There is a regular Dry, a Dry Light, and a Special Dry; all different cymbals.
Oh. I might be wrong then, but I'm pretty sure I remember correctly. Check it out in person either way before you buy it!