Any experience with Ludwig Legacy Mahogany?

sillypilot

Hi all - Any of you out there have experience with both a Ludwig Classic Maple and Ludwig Legacy Mahogany? I have CM experience, but not with the Mahogany. I can't find a local kit to play would be interested in your experience with it for the music you play. I play a bit of everything so I'm not looking for a rock kit only, or jazz kit only, but more for a good overall kit. Thank you!

dwsabianguy

The Legacy Mahogany is one of the roundest, fattest, loveliest modern kits I'm aware of. If you're after those classic 50s/60s Ludwig tones, they've got it. The Legacy Maple aren't anything to ignore either. Classic Maples tend to be a little dull for me (bear in mind, my main kit is a Birch Absolute), but the Legacy kits consistently aren't. The Legacy Maple kits are worth looking at, too; they bridge the gap between the CMs and LMs in a very nice way, and seemed more responsive than Classic Maples.

Wawan219

The Legacy Mahogany is one of the roundest, fattest, loveliest modern kits I'm aware of. If you're after those classic 50s/60s Ludwig tones, they've got it. The Legacy Maple aren't anything to ignore either. Classic Maples tend to be a little dull for me (bear in mind, my main kit is a Birch Absolute), but the Legacy kits consistently aren't. The Legacy Maple kits are worth looking at, too; they bridge the gap between the CMs and LMs in a very nice way, and seemed more responsive than Classic Maples.
+1

lefty2

Platinum Member
Look up that Ludwig shootout video that Compares all the Ludwig usa-made Drums.
you can hear the drums with room mics overhead mics close mics and all of the mics so you get a good idea what they really sound like. Judging from the room mics or overhead mics I liked the classics and the club dates the best.

IBitePrettyHard

The Legacy Mahogany is versatile enough to be an all-around kit, as long as you're not into louder genres like hard rock and metal. It's a great kit on it's own merits, BUT.....the Classic Maple also exists.

The Classic Maple has more attack, resonance, and projection.....and a better tuning range.

The Legacy Mahogany is more for a select group of people who prefer a warmer, rounder, more old-school sound.

You should consider a Legacy Mahogany if...

You prefer warmth over attack
You mostly play jazz, oldies, or quieter venues
You already own a CM
You want something with possibly more mojo than a CM