any body play EAMES DRUMS

Hey drummers check out my kit on pictures is there anybody playing EAMES DRUMS?
I knew a girl named Kathy Burkly out of Boston that played them religiously, a set of pink ones in fact, she was an awesome drummer though I've lost touch with her so I don't know if she still uses Eames.

They really did sound good and were of nice quality, but she was the only person I'd ever seen with a kit of them. I suspect they never caught on due to lack of exposure.
_
_

Last edited:
Can we check out a larger photo? :)

picture.php

Wow, interesting dimensions! It looks like all the toms are the same depth. Only the diameter changes. I don't care for the kicks with no resos.

Wow, those are some awkward looking drums. Do they do normal sizes as well? It's a pretty finish, and if you like the sizes, then that's awesome, because it's all about personal preference. But wow.

Thanks for checking out my kit, yes they make normal size drums i have bin with this company for 25 years they or should i say he, because there is only one person in the company, will make almost any size you want, check out his web page www.eamesdrumshells.com.

Ha ha In 1981 I read about Eames drum shells in the back of Modern Drummer, and I got it in my head that I wanted a set, so I drove my 74 Camaro up to Saugus Massachusetts and paid the down payment to have them build me a set. I remember missing the UPS guy when he came to my house with them and caught up with him at a Wendys near me and took delivery of my Eames kit in a Wendys parking lot in a soaking rain. They stamped my name on the inside of the shells, do they still do that? A fine sounding set, I got birch shells and they were my main set for 23 years. Sounded great, but I decided I wanted a thinner shell (the Eames were about 1/2" thick). But I got a great sound from them.

Awsome story i love it! yes they stamp your name in the shell with the year also, and he puts a silver plate on the base drum that says CUSTOM BUILT FOR...............

There was a drum shop in Augusta (Maine) near where I live back in the early 90's and the owner had an Eames 9 piece, (In regular sizes) and they looked and sounded incredible.

I failed to mention that back then, Eames drums came without hardware, (do they still operate like that?) I assembled the drum myself, stuffing the lugs w/ foam rubber, they drilled it for whatever hardware you were going to install on them. I decided in Gretsch hardware, and also, at the time, I played single headed kick, and never thought I'd ever get tired of that sound, so I had them not drill my bass drum reso side for lugs. I had a bass drum concert tom ha ha. I just recently donated that set to one of my good buddy's 5 year old kid. I believe Eames acquired the machinery to form their shells from the Gladstone drum company if memory serves. I like the silver plate touch, they didn't offer that then. It's nice to know that they are still going strong.

Another awsome story and yes your memory served you right,about the history of EAMES. EAMES offers hardware on all his drums as a option thanks for the reply.

I'm aware of Eames Drums, but I've never played them. Very cool looking kit you have. How old is it? The wood on the inner shell is beautiful. Did you order it without bass resos? I think the toms look cool. Would love to hear how they sound, especially the small tom. It's approaching octoban size.

Hey Disco Stu the kit is 25 years old and in those years it has bin in some very harsh up and down climates also they were stored in there cases in a barn for some time, they have not lost there luster or any de-lamination also to your question i ordered the bass drums with no reso, and they are awsome in the studio. thanks for the post

One of my colleagues (a show drummer) plays an Eames set, simply incredible.

A nice thing about Eames is that they're not just another Keller-shell-assembler, they make their own (birch) shells. Quite reasonably priced, too.

My buddy has the 25-ply snare drum, and it's the best snare I've ever played.

I have a kit mixed of 9 and 12 ply with 15 ply snare ,The equipment he makes them on was from the Stone Drum Co(George Stone of stick Control fame) They are great sounding drums,aggressive,but great tone and good clarity,whenever I record with people they always want me to bring that set,and they go to tape really well.

Beautiful drums! I have all square size drums and I love the deep, rich commanding tone you get with square and deeper sizes. Most people have at least a couple of square sizes in their kits, mostly floor toms and deep bass drums are in style now. I'm not at all fond of these timid shallow toms in style now but it also sounds like you will make any drum sizes.

What's up with the single-headed bass drums?

I own an Eames Master 8x14 snare, and my friend owns a kit.
Some of the best birch shells on the market, and very reasonably priced.

Back