Anton Fig's Letterman Kit on eBay

BGH

Gold Member
Has anyone besides me seen Anton Fig's Letterman Show kit on eBay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anton-Figs-Yamaha-kit-from-the-Letterman-Show-Tour-Custom-80s-90s-era-/331119916628?hash=item4d1848f654

Its been for sale for quite some time. There are also kits owned by Billy Cobham and Jimmy Chamberlin on the bay. The Fig kit's asking price is $6000. Its an 80's Yamaha Tour Custom, which now-a-days doesn't fetch much money. We're talking less than $500. So, who in the world buys kits like these? Would someone really pay over ten times what a kit is worth to buy such a kit? The Chamberlin kit really isn't that bad comparitively: $2600 for a Maple Custom Absolute 5 piece. Both the Chamberlin and Cobham kits have also been for sale forever. The Cobham kit, also an MCA, has an asking price of $5500, but I think the beginning price at listing was $10-11k.

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has (directly or indirectly) bought a kit owned at one time by a high profile drummer? You don't have to say how much you spent, but I'd like to hear about the thinking. And, of course, would like to hear anyone else's comments on this topic.

Thanks.

Bruce

gmiller598

I was watching for a while a custom made Ludwig bop kit built for Clayton Cameron. Its still for a sale on ebay. Its starting at $1200 but its been for sale for at least a couple of months and I think the price has come down. I considered it a bit because it didn't seem too over priced but it was hard to gauge the true value since it is a custom kit. I'm guessing its probably vert close to a classic maple of not being a classic maple exactly. The ad didn't exactly specify what was custom about it other than a 13" floor tom.

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Wow - I remember those drums! I thought it was hip to have 10-13-16 toms - a 3-inch spread between each drum - it made so much sense to me. I did not know they were originally sold back in '02. I'm not sure if they'd get the asking price though. It's still not like buying a Ringo kit or a Buddy kit. I doubt if Tony Williams' yellow Gretsch kit would fetch a really high price, either.

BGH

Gold Member
Wow - I remember those drums! I thought it was hip to have 10-13-16 toms - a 3-inch spread between each drum - it made so much sense to me. I did not know they were originally sold back in '02. I'm not sure if they'd get the asking price though. It's still not like buying a Ringo kit or a Buddy kit. I doubt if Tony Williams' yellow Gretsch kit would fetch a really high price, either.
Right, exactly. Ok, If they were Ringo's or Buddy's, maybe I could see it. But to spend $6000 on a kit that goes for $400-$500 otherwise, seems preposterous, even though they were on Letterman every night for years. I wonder if the seller even knows that they are only worth $400, save for whatever premium someone might be willing to pay?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I remember staying up late way back when to see Anton play that kit.

But yeah, it's not worth $5,999 just because it was once owned by someone famous.

iI's ridiculous whomever is asking that much. But I've seen worse on craigslist.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Drums won't sound any better just because Anton once played them. I don't get it. Assuming he has space, there is big incentive to let these ads keep running however, because some guy might just pony up and be willing to overpay. Guys that pay this kind of money just because a famous drummer played them puzzle me but hey, we all march to the tune of our own drummer.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Anton isn't actually famous,he's just a well known drummer,amongst drummers.I just asked 4 people,that watch Letterman,if they know who Anton Fig is...and all I got was blank stares.

Buddy kits have fetched up to 90K.Ringo's Ed Sullivan kit,is worth a million or more.Just ask any knowledgeabe serious collector.Especially in Japan

Back OT.That guy is smoking rubberbands if he thinks he's getting 6K for those drums.

Steve B

CLEflyer

BGH, I've noticed that set on ebay for a while myself. (naturally, it comes up every time i'm searching for 80's Tour Customs). I agree that 6 grand is a bit much but I think eventually someone will pay good money for them. Not so much because AF played them but because of all the guest performers on that show the he backed up with those drums. Also, I could argue that there is NO drumset from a talk/variety show that is as memorable as those drums (except maybe Ed Shaunessy's big Ludwig double bass set from the Carson show). When Anton played those the Letterman band was just four guys and thus he was very visible. Now, its a much bigger group and he is tucked back a bit further and his drums just don't stand out. And, of course, the bright blue color alone makes them pretty memorable.

I think eventually the seller will get 3-4 thousand for them.

Just my 2 cents.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Of course they're worth $6,000. You get Anton's "chunk of foam" in with the deal. Did you all miss that? Sheesh ------------ ;)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
BGH, I've noticed that set on ebay for a while myself. (naturally, it comes up every time i'm searching for 80's Tour Customs). I agree that 6 grand is a bit much but I think eventually someone will pay good money for them. Not so much because AF played them but because of all the guest performers on that show the he backed up with those drums. Also, I could argue that there is NO drumset from a talk/variety show that is as memorable as those drums (except maybe Ed Shaunessy's big Ludwig double bass set from the Carson show). When Anton played those the Letterman band was just four guys and thus he was very visible. Now, its a much bigger group and he is tucked back a bit further and his drums just don't stand out. And, of course, the bright blue color alone makes them pretty memorable.

Just my 2 cents.
Something the seller dosen't know,but Ringo ,played those drums while he was a guest on Late Night with David Letterman,and jammed out with the late night orchestra,while Anton sat out.That could possible get him his asking price.

Steve B

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

Just my 2 cents.
Remember when Steve Jordan was on the show with that white four-piece Yamaha? I'd pay money for those just 'cause I'm a fan ;)

BGH

Gold Member
Remember when Steve Jordan was on the show with that white four-piece Yamaha? I'd pay money for those just 'cause I'm a fan ;)
Yup, remember those as well. He is a classic and I would say more well known.

Something the seller dosen't know,but Ringo ,played those drums while he was a guest on Late Night with David Letterman,and jammed out with the late night orchestra,while Anton sat out.That could possible get him his asking price.

Steve B
The seller does say this, but doesn't name anyone: 'There are countless videos on YouTube of these drums in action. The list of stars that these drums have played with and albums they recorded is too large to list here. If they could only talk...' I suppose he should name some!

I'd still like to hear from someone who has bought a well known drummers kit. Since you can buy a kit like this for $400, basically (to me) you have to have the ability to be a free spender to buy a kit like this. I mean what I could do with the other $5600...I gotta put 3 kids through college, ya know? I have a drum collection, but I don't overspend (like this would be).

Last edited: