Another "What I Was Doing in '93" Thread

MikeM

Platinum Member
In this installment of "Blast From the Past!", my first real band, Control Freak (1990-1994), and our first 7" Emma's Thread b/w Sucker

Curiosity Note: Check the "maiden" name!

Later, we put out a full-length and toured. Here's a song shot during a west coast tour we did.

Oh, and here's another from the same show.

This gig was at a bar above the Roxy Theater (On The Rox) in Hollywood. The bloated washed-up members of Ratt were having some rock function downstairs, though I don't think they were playing. Haha

Last edited:

con struct

Platinum Member
Ha ha! Mike! What a sound! See what I mean, drummers had to actually be able to play well in order to pull that kind of stuff off. Nobody else had to be able to play worth a shit, but the drummer definitely needed to have to have it together, which you do.

Great stuff, pal.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Ah Mike, what are we to do with you - ballads, ballads and more ballads ;-)

Seriously, you sound like someone who could play pretty well from the first moment you sat at a kit. Right from the start it seems you were bang on.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Awesome! Powerful, solid, everything this music requires. Nicely done.

Man, the 90s were really cool. I knew that then but I really know it now. If you know what I mean.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
You had better looking girls in your band than we ever got at any of our shows. I guess the best way to get hot girls at the show is to bring them with you.

Cool stuff man. Sounds like the kind of stuff we would have definitely been into in those days.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Ha ha! Mike! What a sound! See what I mean, drummers had to actually be able to play well in order to pull that kind of stuff off. Nobody else had to be able to play worth a shit, but the drummer definitely needed to have to have it together, which you do.

Great stuff, pal.
Thanks, Jay! It's a curious thing that punk styles tend to break that way, and as other player's skill levels go up, the sound tends to skew more toward the metal side. Not always, but typically, IME. Though I dig the way the vocals were phrased over Emma's Thread, which has the 6/4 verses.
Ah Mike, what are we to do with you - ballads, ballads and more ballads ;-)

Seriously, you sound like someone who could play pretty well from the first moment you sat at a kit. Right from the start it seems you were bang on.
Thanks, Grea! I know, I think I may be in a rut :)

That was the first long term band I was in after 6 years in the Navy, but before the Navy (pre '84), the neighborhood players I did all my initial shedding with were mostly into Hendrix, Rush, Jeff Beck, King Crimson, Zappa, and all manner of experimental and challenging material, so endless jams with those guys had a huge influence on my playing during those formative years. I really liked the high energy merge between punk and metal that was happening in the late '80s and into the '90s, and I really liked that I didn't need to dress up in any genre's "uniform", since I was always just a jeans & tshirt guy.

Awesome! Powerful, solid, everything this music requires. Nicely done.

Man, the 90s were really cool. I knew that then but I really know it now. If you know what I mean.
Yeah, I really liked that time, too. Still do. Thanks!

You had better looking girls in your band than we ever got at any of our shows. I guess the best way to get hot girls at the show is to bring them with you.

Cool stuff man. Sounds like the kind of stuff we would have definitely been into in those days.
Haha, that's one way to do it, I suppose! Gotta watch out for the dreaded Fleetwood Mac syndrome, though. Fortunately, we never had any of those issues (all our significant other were outside of the band :)