Another trip down memory lane :)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
With all the threads that feature some playing from years ago from our beloved members, I thought I join the club :)

It's another Compartiment Fumeurs track called "Idées Noires" recorded live in the studio on analogue equipment in 1987, it's been transferred from an audio tape to a CD, so forgive the quality of the sound.

This particular song was written around the horns section at the time by our saxophone player.

Enjoy and feel free to comment... good or bad :)

MP3 link below.

Attachments

Magenta

Platinum Member
Beautiful. Sharp, crisp playing that softens like marshmallow. I love everything I hear in this track.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Henri, I've always loved your playing. You sound so pro, every time I've heard you. Your meter and tempo feel so good, you never even think about it. I like how you handled the modulations (I think they were modulations)

Pretty good sound too. It even sounds good on my crappy laptop speakers.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I love everything I hear in this track.
Thanks Madge :)

err... everything? ...even the lyrics?

Henri, I've always loved your playing. You sound so pro, every time I've heard you. Your meter and tempo feel so good, you never even think about it. I like how you handled the modulations (I think they were modulations)
Thank you Larry, yeah, the modulations... at first I was doing a unison fill with the toms following the horn's riff, but I found it wasn't enhancing the part, so I decided to punctuate the modulations with a groove, I'm glad you liked it :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Henri, I'm sorry I missed this thread :(

Your easy style is evident on both tracks, & you do a superb job of "settling" the song against a background of a naturally edgy arrangement. You're a class act young man!

Interesting how the reduction in dynamic in the recording has lowered the bass drum in the mix. I bet the original recording had more "weight" in the bottom end, & that would have provided a more dramatic drive to the songs.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I like it Henri. Nice groovy dance beats. I like bands with horns in them. Reminds me of Oingo Boingo meets Daft Punk because that bass line is funky, but very dance-able. Yeah, I've been at a gig all day so I couldn't see your thread until just now myself.

Magenta

Platinum Member
err... everything? ...even the lyrics?
Yes of course, they are good, what's not to like? I couldn't get the lyrics in Souris blanche very well though, but it didn't matter because again, I loved everything about it.

I knew you'd play stuff like this - cool, soave and impeccably tasteful ;)

Magenta

Platinum Member
Suave (soave Madge?) is the perfect adjective to describe Henri's playing.
Why thank you - and yes, it should be suave - Soave is wine, haga!! (And no, I hadn't, before you ask!) In my defence, Your Honour (with a "u") it's the Italian for suave.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Henri, when I saw that you'd posted I was hoping you'd post Compartment Femeurs (that's how I think of it in English :) - always dug that band of yours.

Love the tasty esoteric Euro funk thing you have going there! This always was a damn good band and your playing in this is groovy and fits beautifully.

dmacc_2

Henri, great stuff!

I listened to both clips a couple times and thought they were both very well done.

Wish my clips from that era were of that decent enough quality.

Thanks for sharing.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Sorry folks, I hadn't had the time to reply before today :(

@ Andy: Thanks my friend, your compliments are always uplifting :) Yes the BD is a little buried in the mix, you wouldn't believe it's actually a 24"x16" bass drum.

@ Bon: Thanks man :) ... dance beats? I can assure you that the kind of audience we had didn't really danced at our gigs :))

@ Madge: Thanks again Marge... Soave eh? I like the adjective :)

@ Larryace & Andy: thanks for the unanimous compliment... we'll have to add "soave" to the drummerworld dictionary :)

@ Grea: Thank you fan No 1, I kinda knew you would like this... err, I can't tell you what Blue Mabels spring to my mind but I like the way you spelled CP :)

@ David: Thank you my friend :) For what it is, it doesn't sound too bad, but if my memory's correct it sounded much better in the studio booth, still these recordings are fabs memories.

Thanks for listening :)