Another Thread About Paiste Flat Rides

I’ve owned 2002, 602, and Sig, in a mix of 18 and 20”, thin and medium weights. All were excellent, just down to personal taste. I personally liked the 602 medium best for tone, especially the wash sound. But I would happily have brought any of them to a classy jazz gig. The only one I sort of disliked was the 18” thin 602, you know, the legendary Chick Corea one that everyone else thinks is the best. It was not my cup of tea.

Edit: I didn’t own all 12 of every configuration possible. I owned 7 Paiste flats, in various models, sizes and weights.

Last edited:
Haven't tried any of them, but I just bought an old 2002 18", waiting for it to arrive. I've been sceptical to rides smaller than 20", but then I heard someone talking it up, listened to some sound clips, and here we go.

Reactions: I-P
If you could only choose 1, would you choose a 2002 or 602? And - 18" or 20"? Why?
Neither. I ended up with a 22" Signature Flat Ride. The 2002 & 602 sounded too thin, lacking body (albeit a small body).

Haven't tried any of them, but I just bought an old 2002 18", waiting for it to arrive. I've been sceptical to rides smaller than 20", but then I heard someone talking it up, listened to some sound clips, and here we go.

Got this today, tested it for a bit, good first impression. Gets out of the way pretty quickly, I like that.

There's five holes in it for rivets. Should I bother testing? What could I expect in terms of sound variation? I've never had a ride with rivets before.

Got this today, tested it for a bit, good first impression. Gets out of the way pretty quickly, I like that.

There's five holes in it for rivets. Should I bother testing? What could I expect in terms of sound variation? I've never had a ride with rivets before.
Ooh ooh! Do it! I love that sound. IMO two or three rivets are the perfect number.

Tell him to get his split rivets at Tony's before he closes

Scroll to bottom of above page link @Chris_80

"you ain't a drummer until you got about 75 old used and a few new rivets in your drum shed"

Scroll to bottom of above page link @Chris_80

"you ain't a drummer until you got about 75 old used and a few new rivets in your drum shed"

All right, seems I have work to do. Rivets to see, places to be 👀

Cheers for the link, good stuff. I'm a Euro though, shipping from the US might be over the top. I'll have a look anyway, will definitely try it.

All right, seems I have work to do. Rivets to see, places to be 👀

Cheers for the link, good stuff. I'm a Euro though, shipping from the US might be over the top. I'll have a look anyway, will definitely try it.
Yeah, if you're in Europe you will probably have better options there. ☺️

You can also get perfectly good split rivets at an ordinary hardware store. Look for ones that are thin, about 10-13 mm long, and where the heads are just wide enough to not go through the holes.

Back