Another this or that question: Sonor SQ1 or PROLITE

LittleLegs

I know they are very different but I'd love people's thoughts from anyone who's played them both (they are the same price).

SQ1 is 12 x 8, 14 x 14, 20 x 16

Prolite 12 x 8, 14 x 14, 20 x 17.5

I'm not sure about these long bass drums and the Prolite heavy-metal tom mounts, but that's really because I don't like the look - I'm sure they sound good.

(I've had a read of other threads from the past, but wondered if there were any new thoughts)

THANKS!

Last edited:

brushes

That bassdrum on the Prolite would be a turn off for me. That aside, both are good drums. But I would get the SQ1.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Prolite for me ?. But the new finishes with the shorter bassdrum depths!!
It's a matter of personal preference though, I guess. I love the sound, the look
and the hardware and mountings. SQ1 are great as well!

Attachments

• IMG_4576.jpg
    IMG_4576.jpg
    881 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4581.jpg
    IMG_4581.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 10

LittleLegs

That bassdrum on the Prolite would be a turn off for me. That aside, both are good drums. But I would get the SQ1.

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the bass drum! What is it about the SQ1 that makes it your choice - is it a sonic thing or visual?

brushes

Visual appearance and bassdrum-size. I don't like the Sonor Design that much but the Prolite is "über"-sonorized. Bulky hardware and massive logo- overusage. Sonically though, both are excellent.

IBitePrettyHard

Due to the thin shells of the Prolites, they have a slightly muted attack compared to the SQ2. Still a versatile kit, especially good for lighter playing. I prefer the sound of the SQ2s for their slightly more pronounced attack and presence though.

EDIT: Just realized I confused the SQ2 with the SQ1. I blame my phone haha. I love the sound of the SQ1s. If I had to choose I would probably choose the Prolites over the SQ1, but they're both great.

Last edited:

David Hunter

I've owned both, and they're both fine drums. It depends on what you're after. If you want more projection, go for the straight walled 7mm birch SQ1s. If warm and deep is your desire (with slightly less projection), you might be happier with the 4mm maple Prolites. I found that the SQ1s were great for live gigs (especially outdoors), but if recording, I'd take the Prolites every time. They just sound so full, with lots of natural sustain.

Some things to keep in mind: on the German Sonor tier, Prolites are just below SQ2 in pricing, whereas SQ1s are priced under the Vintage Series:
  1. SQ2 (your shell choice)
  2. Prolite (vintage maple shells)
  3. Vintage Series (medium beech shells with roundover edges)
  4. SQ1 (medium/heavy birch shells)
Personal opinion here, but I found that the Prolite shell construction presents a bit more attention to detail - they're really flawless, lightweight shells. Not to mention their superior mounts/brackets, finish options... I'm not much of a fan of the SQ1 rubber mounting system, though it works.

Another consideration - will you be moving them a lot? If so, the 17.5" deep Prolite bass drum might be a turn-off. But if they're staying put, i.e., drum room or studio, you will likely love the deep punch of the Prolite BD. My old 20"x17.5" killed.

Finally, I understand your concern regarding the Prolite tom holders, but they really aren't that obtrusive - I believe the assembly is fully removable from the toms, since they don't penetrate the shell. Whereas, the SQ1 mounting bracket is drilled directly onto the shell and sticks out a bit further from the drum, as you can see below.

prolite mount.jpgsq1 mount.jpg

Final thoughts: you'll be getting superior drums no matter which German Sonor line you choose. They make fantastic drums.

LittleLegs

Thanks very much. It might be that the Prolites are better. It's for home use so I won't be moving it... but then have always gravitated to a thick shell for the extra oomph when one playing loud. (Not that I'm a thuggish drummer, but I like to play through a wide volume range.)

To your point, I do find the grey industrial rubber on the SQ1 mounts really out of character.

Darth Vater

I own a set of each. Both of mine have the 22x17.5" kicks so I can't speak to munchkin size bass drums. Prolites have a better choice of finishes and better tom/floor tom mounts. I'll echo David's thoughts above. You can't go wrong with either one.

IBitePrettyHard

Thanks very much. It might be that the Prolites are better. It's for home use so I won't be moving it... but then have always gravitated to a thick shell for the extra oomph when one playing loud. (Not that I'm a thuggish drummer, but I like to play through a wide volume range.)

To your point, I do find the grey industrial rubber on the SQ1 mounts really out of character.
Some people were having issues with the rubber fittings, they were staining the paint job somehow? I don't know if they "fixed" it or if it was only a problem a few people had, but something to keep in mind. Black wouldn't have any problems.

David Hunter

Some people were having issues with the rubber fittings, they were staining the paint job somehow? I don't know if they "fixed" it or if it was only a problem a few people had, but something to keep in mind. Black wouldn't have any problems.

Very true, Lee. The rubber was having a reaction with the Cruiser Blue finish, leaving behind a permanent nicotine-stain discoloration under the rubber mounts. When I notified Sonor in Germany, they acknowledged the issue, and had KHS America replace them for me. They did assure me that there was a "fix" coming for the Cruiser Blue finish, but it was about 9 months out. I didn't want to be in limbo for that long, so I opted for GT Black as a replacement. As far as I know, the original Cruiser Blue was the only finish affected. Here are some photos of mine (with flash and without):

20190604_202447.jpg20190604_202454.jpg

David Hunter

@David Hunter I'm still enjoying the Yamaha Tour Custom I got from you. :)

What kit(s) are you currently working with? And what do you think of them?
Outstanding, brother! I am a huge fan of the Yamaha Tour Custom series. Great drums at a great price point. I'm really glad you're enjoying them.

To minimize the risk of hijacking the OP's thread, I'll PM you the details of what I have now. ?

topper-hardy

Very true, Lee. The rubber was having a reaction with the Cruiser Blue finish, leaving behind a permanent nicotine-stain discoloration under the rubber mounts. When I notified Sonor in Germany, they acknowledged the issue, and had KHS America replace them for me. They did assure me that there was a "fix" coming for the Cruiser Blue finish, but it was about 9 months out. I didn't want to be in limbo for that long, so I opted for GT Black as a replacement. As far as I know, the original Cruiser Blue was the only finish affected. Here are some photos of mine (with flash and without):

View attachment 97561View attachment 97562

This problem was fixed by Sonor. I have no problems with my 2 year old Cruiser Blue SQ1 Kit.

Darth Vater

Prolite for me ?. But the new finishes with the shorter bassdrum depths!!
It's a matter of personal preference though, I guess. I love the sound, the look
and the hardware and mountings. SQ1 are great as well!
We haven't seen the new Prolite finishes, or shorter BD depths yet on this side of the pond. I like that white tiger finish! How do the 22x16 BD's sound?