Another Restore

johnwesley

Silver Member
I keep getting these old drums and turning them from frogs to princes. Latest is a PDP Z5 bass that I got for a penny. A penny! plus $45 shipping. Pulled off the wrap, stained, polyurethaned, waxed, added natural maple hoops, newheads and voila! The tom is an old 14x10 Kent marching snare. The snare is a maple/oak stave. All together a nice little bop/warm up kit.

Attachments

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I just love looking at these kind of projects. Great job, John! Would love to see any others you've done.

GeeDeeEmm

gdmoore28

Gold Member
You're making those old drums look classier than they did new, John. You've really got me to thinking, now. I love the looks of those old CB700 "wristwatch" lugs on dark wood. All that kit needs now is some clear maple BD hoops. Now that you've tempted us with the looks, how about some sound clips so we can hear how they sound?

GeeDeeEmm

Here's a couple others. The blonde kit is an early PDP. Don't have "before" pics, just after, but it was a mess. JW
That CB kit looks amazing now! I've been debating on trying my hand at some restoration projects, I may just pull the trigger now. Any advice before beginning?

Icetech

Gold Member
Just curious.. on those darker drums have you considered going over them with some #0000 steel wool when good and dry? just a thought to try to even it out and take some sheen off.. i think it would make them look a touch better, just a thought :)