Another quarantine project

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Thanks to having all this time on my hands to hang out in the house, I'm getting intimately familiar with what I have in my garage. I've been inventorying what parts I have and finding things in boxes from our move to the new place almost a year ago now (funny how having a full time job makes time fly by, and now without one, you see all the stuff you've just unloaded into the garage that's been sitting there for almost a year!).

I guess I'm trying to put together a nice solid working kit, and I totally forgot I had these wood hoops in a box (they're Yamaha copies made by Gibraltar). So I dismantled a couple of drums to put these together. The rack tom and bass drum are Pearl Session shells from the late 90s that I wrapped in black, and the floor tom is a Pearl Export from about the same era. I installed Session lugs, Vision bass drum spurs and floor tom leg brackets, and a new BB-3 went on the bass drum. I am loving the contrast between the black and the light wood hoops! I bass drum hoop claws are early Vision claws, and they basically keep the tension rod head from sticking out making it safe to walk by it and not gets your pants caught on an errant tension rod head. This could be my ultimate working man's kit since I've been trying different things this whole quarantine break - 8x12 and 16x16 toms, and 16x22 bass drum. The wood hoops make the two toms much lighter than they were so that's a plus if I'm hauling it around alot. What do ya' think?

frontside-drums.jpgBackside-drums.jpg

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Looks great! I used to have Yamaha wood hoops on one of my kits and I really liked both the look and the sound. Definitely less metallic bite in the toms, and the weight decrease was surprising.

Benthedrummer

Sink me sideways in a tub full of tadpoles......how many kits do you actually own?

You love your pearl exports eh?

Those wooden hoops make that kit absolutely beam......are you planning on sealing/varnishing the wooden hoops?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Sink me sideways in a tub full of tadpoles......how many kits do you actually own?

You love your pearl exports eh?

Those wooden hoops make that kit absolutely beam......are you planning on sealing/varnishing the wooden hoops?
Well, I don’t actually love them. I just started collecting orphans shells one year and now with all this time off I’m doing stuff with them. I may keep these like this for a while. But I have a beautiful Reference kit I love, but not all gigs warrant their usage.

In regards to these hoops I did coat them all in MinWax polyurethane, several coats. The bass drum hoops had a bright blue inlay, so once I got that off, that was also polyurethaned.