Another Possiblity

BlakeN70

I am thinking about buying a new kit and I am looking at the Tama B/B kit as a possibility. The only concern I have is, I want a kit with a LOW fundamental tone. Does the B/B kits have a low fundamental tone with the inner plies of Bubinga? If so, how do they compare in tone to an all maple kit? What I am saying is, if you had a maple kit and a B/B kit set side by side with same heads same tuning etc. which would give you the lower fundamental tone? Thanks in advance.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
What I am saying is, if you had a maple kit and a B/B kit set side by side with same heads same tuning etc. which would give you the lower fundamental tone? Thanks in advance.
The B/B, all things being equal, including shell thickness, mass of hardware, etc.

A

audiotech

Re: Another Possibility

I agree on the B/B shells having a lower tone compared to the all maple shell, but not by a hugh amount. The reason for this is that the B/B shells have an outer four plies of birch on the toms and 5 outer plies of birch on the bass drum compared to the three inner plies of bubinga. If you were comparing an all bubinga shell to a maple shell, then the difference is considerably more. In my opinion, the Tama Birch/Bubinga drums sound very nice for a very wide amount of genres.

Dennis