Another Ludwig dating question

Mshells60

I picked these up last week, was led to believe on the ad that these were 80's vintage but between the hardware and the badges and the finish of the shell interior, I am confused. Any Insights would be appreciated.IMG_0008.JPG

dwsabianguy

They're Rockers, not Standards. Standards have a triangular badge, but the early Rockers had the same lugs as the standards. Definitely 1980s.

Mshells60

Thank you, I thought rockers as well, but the pearl type tom mounting had me scratching my head, I picked them up along with a whole mess of extras including a starclassic 16 floor tom and 14 in tom, plus a passle of pearl cymbal stands and hi hat for 300. I am thrilled with the starclassic!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
There was a weird period between catalogs (88-94) where Ludwig seemed to be mixing parts. Those have the tom mounts, badge/vent hole placement, and metal bass drum hoops of the 1994 fully overseas-made Rockers with the lugs from the older Rocker/Standard model they made in Monroe from 1984 to about 1992.

How thick are the shells? The overseas 1994+ Rockers had thick 9-ply mystery wood shells. The Monroe-made Rockers had thin 4-ply maple/poplar shells.

Mshells60

these are thick! The interiors appear to be maple, and have a lacquer finish. There are no stamps giving away the origin. The guy I got them from is a musician and states they have been in the family since before to 90's so he felt they were 80's vintage, I have to wonder if he is confusing these with the other mixed pieces he sold me which are Tama Star Classics....I want the rest of THAT set! But I believe you to be correct, these are thick, not too fancy and might do well giving them to a young aspiring drummer as a starter set, at least they are almost complete! ( the die cat rims on the floor tom are TAMA)

There was a weird period between catalogs (88-94) where Ludwig seemed to be mixing parts. Those have the tom mounts, badge/vent hole placement, and metal bass drum hoops of the 1994 fully overseas-made Rockers with the lugs from the older Rocker/Standard model they made in Monroe from 1984 to about 1992.

How thick are the shells? The overseas 1994+ Rockers had thick 9-ply mystery wood shells. The Monroe-made Rockers had thin 4-ply maple/poplar shells.87651
I just acquired a 1991 Rocker II kit. It's 6 ply, but I can't find what each ply is. 3 are maple. Incl. the purple painted outer ply. Can anyone help? I just started a thread about this. Thanks for any info.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Also, I heard that these shells were the same as the Classics at the time. Does anyone know anything about that? Please & thank you!!
The Monroe-made Rocker shells were 4-ply, like the pro line Super Classics at the time. That said, Ludwig would use whatever wood was in the stack, so some of the Rocker shells could look really rough under the wrap. I've unwrapped Rocker shells that looked beautiful, and I've unwrapped some that were shockingly terrible looking. It's a crap shoot, though in my experience (which is up to 12 Rocker drums) the Rocker I (with clear interiors) have tended to be a lot better looking on the outside though I've gotten pretty lucky with some Rocker II's (with the speckled paint interiors) too...

They're Rockers, not Standards. Standards have a triangular badge, but the early Rockers had the same lugs as the standards. Definitely 1980s.
These are overseas shells with the Pearl style tom mounts. I'm sure they would be fine. But they aren't the 6 ply M-P-M-P-P-M. And yes, the only common ground with Standards and Rockers are the lugs.