Another kit share story

Juniper

Gold Member
Another thread for the potential pitfalls of a gear share situation.

Played a gig last night (poor show but that's another story) and get to the venue. We were told beforehand there was a kit at the venue so all the drummers needed to bring was snare, pedal and cymbals- the usual setup for London venues.

Arrive, sound check and as I'm packing my stuff away to be stored in the cellar the support band drummer comes up and asks if he could use one of my crashes as he didn't have his on him. He was polite enough and sounded apologetic so no problems with his approach but before I mention it's not something I'm overly comfortable with (as I've never seen him play...etc) the bar owner offers to lend him his, he's a drummer also and was his kit we were both using.

Later on and him and his band gets up to play and he proceeds to bash the hell out of the bar owners drums and borrowed Crash. A few times he's crashing using two hands, jumping up before hitting again on the way down. Some really aggressive and overly hard playing. He was putting the whole stick through the cymbal too. The poor drum heads too....

How the 16" crash survived the show I really don't know. It's a miracle. I was watching the whole thing worried for the bar owner but also glad it wasn't one of the (thin) cymbals I chose to take with me.

Another reminder why I'll always refuse to share my cymbals with people I don't know/have never seen play.

TK-421

Had it been me and I actually lent him my crash (which I most likely would not have done in the first place, as they're all Ks), as soon as I saw him bashing away like that, I'd have gotten up mid-song, walked up to the kit as he was playing, and snatched my cymbal back right then and there. Then give him the finger and walk off with it. That's no way to treat someone else's property.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
I dont get people who borrow/use other people's gear and bash away like that! I let a drummer use my kit, he was hitting so hard, broke like 3 sticks...gee thanks buddy, Im real impressed.

Juniper

Gold Member
Had it been me and I actually lent him my crash (which I most likely would not have done in the first place, as they're all Ks), as soon as I saw him bashing away like that, I'd have gotten up mid-song, walked up to the kit as he was playing, and snatched my cymbal back right then and there. Then give him the finger and walk off with it. That's no way to treat someone else's property.

Oh yeah I agree, I would have done the same completely. The bar owner saved me from rejecting him as it's not something I'd ever entertain unless I knew the drummer asking and have seen him/her play.

Past (and present) experiences have told me it's really not worth the risk!! Last night was another reason to me why that desicion is justified.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
I wish I would do what you guys would do, but Id most likely just sit there stewing and steaming, waiting for it to be over. Maybe I could muster the nerve to go up on stage and grab my stuff but Id probably end up tripping over a cord or knocking over the keyboard or tearing my cape.

Juniper

Gold Member
I wish I would do what you guys would do, but Id most likely just sit there stewing and steaming, waiting for it to be over. Maybe I could muster the nerve to go up on stage and grab my stuff but Id probably end up tripping over a cord or knocking over the keyboard or tearing my cape.

If it's all properly communicated in advance about what you have to bring (like last nights was) there's no excuse for turning up without all your cymbals. It's not like you keep them in separate bags and you forgot to load one.

Suspect he didn't have one or his last crash had left the land of the living.

It's really not worth putting yourself in a situation you're not comfortable with to begin with. I'd rather keep away from any fallouts- hence my stance. I'm just there to have fun and play music.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Dodged a bullet for sure there Jon.

Me - if the prior gear arrangement was clear, & another player on the bill tried to tell me they've "forgotten" their cymbals, they'd better have their four on the floor grooves down nicely, because that's what they're going to be playing all night!

I don't suffer "flakey" people well.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Lol Andy. I dunno, maybe Id put a crash on a stand and tell him to just give me a nod when he needs a crash and Ill take care of it, if I happen to notice and my hands arent full. I'd show him the meaning of the term "flakey"

mikyok

Platinum Member
I hear too many horror stories about letting shed builders use our hard earned equipment.

There seems to be this unwritten rule that drummers are supposed to pull together and let everyone use each others equipment, especially on the original scene. I don't get it???

Had it happen to me once when I'd just had my old Hayman refinished in chrome and some retard put the 13 tom on the finish on the 26 bass drum which was too big for him and put a hole in the wrap, the little shit ran off before I could hurt him.

It's a hard lesson and one you soon learn not to repeat, the majority of us take care of our gear and would be the same with other peoples gear (in the rare event of having to in lots of cases here). There's just idiots out there, don't suffer them!

Don't ever be afraid to hurt someone's feelings by saying no.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly Jon! It's a player's responsibility to make sure they turn up with their gear. Ok, we've all forgotten stuff from time to time, but for most players, that's rare.

There are exceptions of course. I have great sympathy for anyone who's had their gear stolen or some other unfortunate incident. Same with an unusual breakage / gear failure issue, but the simple fact is, the majority of gear loan requests are because of either poor communication or sheer laziness. I've met several idiots who've turned up with nothing at a multi band gig, simply assuming someone will let them use their gear. As far as I'm concerned, such guys can suck it up & explain why they can't play tonight to the rest of their band.

Dj magic d

Usually, if another drummer shows up "forgetting" to bring his gear....it's a red flag. I don't know what it is, but based on my experience, these players always show little regard for how they treat gear that they didn't pay for. It's that whole "drive it like it ain't yours" mentality that was always a pet peeve of mine when doing multi band backline shows. The funny thing is, some people know how to spin it so you will look like the bad guy if you say no. Another thing to be wary of is....volunteering your kit for a whole night of backlining on multi band shows. Avoid it if you can...the reasons why are too numerous. I'm mentioning this simply as a cautionary measure for the younger newer players on the scene, not so much as just a rant. If you do the local original music circuit regularly, you will get to know most of the other drummers and probably share when necessary. However, by then you will have gotten to know their styles, technique, and personality. There have been times I let other drummers(that I knew well) use everything, including new high end cymbals. Just my $.02

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Usually, if another drummer shows up "forgetting" to bring his gear....it's a red flag. I don't know what it is, but based on my experience, these players always show little regard for how they treat gear that they didn't pay for. It's that whole "drive it like it ain't yours" mentality that was always a pet peeve of mine when doing multi band backline shows.

This.

Unless I know you, you're not using it. Plain and simple.
Call me whatever names you want, but in the end, if you crack it I doubt I'll see cash to replace it.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
If you do the local original music circuit regularly, you will get to know most of the other drummers and probably share when necessary. However, by then you will have gotten to know their styles, technique, and personality. There have been times I let other drummers(that I knew well) use everything, including new high end cymbals. Just my $.02

This is very true. I lent my hi-hat stand last weekend to a guy who forgot his and my snare to a guy who broke his head during the first song. I know both guys, and I know they would do the same for me so its all good. The local original music scene is one big family, and we all look out for each other.

But I will say that I am not a huge princess about my gear. I lent my whole kit, cymbals and all, to a touring band a few months ago. Big, loud rock band that I knew would play hard, but they are meant to be hit, so what the heck right. Cymbals can take one hell of a beating, I have never seen one crack from one gig, so I dont really worry too much about it.

Juniper

Gold Member

Me - if the prior gear arrangement was clear, & another player on the bill tried to tell me they've "forgotten" their cymbals, they'd better have their four on the floor grooves down nicely, because that's what they're going to be playing all night!

Dodged that bullet nicely!

This is very true. I lent my hi-hat stand last weekend to a guy who forgot his and my snare to a guy who broke his head during the first song. I know both guys, and I know they would do the same for me so its all good. The local original music scene is one big family, and we all look out for each other.

But I will say that I am not a huge princess about my gear. I lent my whole kit, cymbals and all, to a touring band a few months ago. Big, loud rock band that I knew would play hard, but they are meant to be hit, so what the heck right. Cymbals can take one hell of a beating, I have never seen one crack from one gig, so I dont really worry too much about it.

And that's cool if you're happy with the risk and good on you. However I doubt my thin Sabian HH Dark Crash would have survived that support bands gig and I doubt the drummer would have paid me the £350 to replace it too if so : )

Exactly, if it's all communicated in advance no one should be even getting their feelings hurt if they have turned up without the gear they were asked to bring.

No ones entitled to use the gear I've paid a lot of money to buy and more important need and can't afford to replace on a whim, they can ask and I can choose to say yes or no. If they want to leave it to chance that someone they have never met will oblige on the day than that's really their issue and not mine. It's that simple.

Pedals and snare I'm not so fussy about. Cymbals are an area I won't move on, unless I know the drummer/have seen them play in a live setting.

Like I said earlier the drummer seemed a nice guy, but nice guy doesn't mean they still will respect someone else's instrument in the 'heat of the moment' during a performance- as I saw during the set quite a few times!!

DaleClark

Who The F*%K forgets the tools they need to make $$$? I say forget it. It's one thing if a drummers drum head ripped apart and he asked to use or purchase one of your spares, etc. Or to borrow a drum key, etc. But to forget a snare and your cymbals (or sticks for that matter) is totally unprofessional. I'm a professional photographer...how poorly would it look if I showed up on a scheduled shoot and forgot my camera?

Plus, if I did ever borrow somebodies gear, I would treat it with respect. I'm not a basher and I have only broken one cymbal in my 50 years (it came with my set and was damaged already). I just don't get how some really smash the drums to oblivion and still be musical.

Chunkaway

Silver Member

I mean, I understand where you are coming from, but sometimes people make mistakes.

"F*ck you dude for being flaky!" Seems a little harsh, when it could have been an honest mistake/accident.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Who The F*%K forgets the tools they need to make $$$? I say forget it. It's one thing if a drummers drum head ripped apart and he asked to use or purchase one of your spares, etc. Or to borrow a drum key, etc. But to forget a snare and your cymbals (or sticks for that matter) is totally unprofessional. I'm a professional photographer...how poorly would it look if I showed up on a scheduled shoot and forgot my camera?

Plus, if I did ever borrow somebodies gear, I would treat it with respect. I'm not a basher and I have only broken one cymbal in my 50 years (it came with my set and was damaged already). I just don't get how some really smash the drums to oblivion and still be musical.

I have been in an airport and a businessman accidentally left his laptop on the chair as he proceeded to board the plane. Someone was kind enough to point out the computer to him just before he boarded. He was thanking them repeatedly. I guarantee you, he used that computer to make $$$$. Sh*t happens and people make mistakes/forget things. All of these people jumping down people's throats for making a mistake are priceless. I hope you are completely flawless, never forget ANYTHING, etc... to be passing judgement like this.

And to be fair, I'm not saying I'd loan my gear to him, but I wouldn't be coming off as high and mighty as some on this thread.

DaleClark

I have been in an airport and a businessman accidentally left his laptop on the chair as he proceeded to board the plane. Someone was kind enough to point out the computer to him just before he boarded. He was thanking them repeatedly. I guarantee you, he used that computer to make $$$$. Sh*t happens and people make mistakes/forget things. All of these people jumping down people's throats for making a mistake are priceless. I hope you are completely flawless, never forget ANYTHING, etc... to be passing judgement like this.

And to be fair, I'm not saying I'd loan my gear to him, but I wouldn't be coming off as high and mighty as some on this thread.

Sorry I’m not buying your excuses for unacceptable behavior. It’s not being high and mighty to accept irresponsibility.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Sorry I’m not buying your excuses for unacceptable behavior. It’s not being high and mighty to accept irresponsibility.

Sorry, I'm not buying your high and mighty attitude toward people who make a mistake. If you are perfect, THEN and only then can you spout off about others- especially considering you have literally no idea what actually happened.

Personally, I wouldn't ask to borrow a cymbal, and I think it is bad form to do so, BUT...I wouldn't slam a guy who accidentally forgot something. I'd tell him that it's a bummer, but I prefer not to loan out my gear.

The comments slamming the guy for forgetting are ridiculous, I'm sorry to say. Slam him for asking, but not for forgetting.