Another Drum Bag/Cases Recommendation Thread

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I did a quick search and noticed there hasn't been one of these in a while so I figured I'd just start a new one.

I've been using Humes and Berg Galaxy bags for a while but with my new DW Acrylic kit, the sizes are different than what I already have bags for. I thought about just getting more Galaxy bags since they have been working out fine, but since they have just been fine and not super great I figured maybe I should see what is out there. I thought maybe going to the DrumSeeker or Ahead/Protection Racket might be good with the fleece interior to because maybe they would be less likely to scratch the acrylic drums.

Anyway I've been wrecking my brain trying to weed through all the different bags and cases out there, so any insight would be great.

Since I've switched to a full sized Truck (Toyota Tundra) since I last bought bags, I thought I'd also maybe consider cases since I can throw those in the back. Though, I might still stick with bags in case I want to take my wife's Prius V to a gig instead of my truck.

Chollyred

I have Gator bags for mine, but I don't gig out very often, so can't say anything about longevity. I use an old (freebie) rolling duffel for hardware.

I've always jonesed for an acrylic kit, but have seen lots with cracks around lugs. They scare me. I think I'd have to invest in the best quality cases I could afford for those. Maybe the SKB poly with foam lining.

Old Dog new Cans

I found a used set of gig bags on Ebay, they look brand new. I got them for less than $70 I think? Right at 70. Not a big name brand or anything.

I'm an ebayer. I've been on there since 02. Only dealt with a handful of bad situations. It won't hurt to look.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I found a used set of gig bags on Ebay, they look brand new. I got them for less than $70 I think? Right at 70. Not a big name brand or anything.

I'm an ebayer. I've been on there since 02. Only dealt with a handful of bad situations. It won't hurt to look.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to trust $1500 drums in random $70 no name brand bags. Especially since I like my bags to fit the drum and those cheap bags usually aren't sizes that end up working for what I have.

gish

I use a mix of Ahead and Protection Racket bags. I’ve gigged quite a bit with these bags, and they’ve served me well. I also have a pickup, and have hauled my drums in the bed on nice days with no issues. Both are good bags that I have no qualms recommending.

Mustion

I've always jonesed for an acrylic kit, but have seen lots with cracks around lugs. They scare me. I think I'd have to invest in the best quality cases I could afford for those. Maybe the SKB poly with foam lining.

I bought a Crush acrylic kit a few years ago for playing out and I was so paranoid about getting even a scratch or scuff in it that it was not worth the trouble. In retrospect, I should have gone with an old beat up Vistalite.

To the OP, I have Ahead bags and they're pretty good for the most part. Main gripe is the velcro flap that goes around and joins the two halves of the handle on the kick case doesn't quite reach so it's worthless, but I usually carry my kick by those nifty flat side handles anyway (which I believe are a feature unique to Ahead bags)

Frosticles

Silver Member
I use Protection Racket Bags for my Recording Custom's as they are fleece lined & won't mark. For my RTC's & Saturn's I use Hardcase for when I tour as they are indestructible :)

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I use Gator Protechtor cases mostly. I like the long straps, and they have lasted well so far (a few years). Peace and goodwill.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
For hard cases I use SKB.
Soft cases I have both Protection Racket and Ahead.
I prefer Protection Racket but Ahead offers a greater
variety in sizes for specific drums.
Leather PieSafe case for cymbals.

Old Dog new Cans

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to trust $1500 drums in random $70 no name brand bags. Especially since I like my bags to fit the drum and those cheap bags usually aren't sizes that end up working for what I have.

I hear what you're saying man. There is brand name equipment there as well. Gator, Nomad--hard shell fiber cases, Humes & Berg. The Nomad sets are about $250

sumdrumguy

I am sure you can't go wrong with either Protection Racket or Ahead cases. A full set is a big chunk of change. However it's well worth the peace of mind.

I've been using Protection Racket soft cases, and their hardware bag, for the last 3 years. Couldn't be happier.

Our climate is extreme... -40 in the Winter to +30 in the Summer. I've lugged those cases in, and through, everything nature can dish out. They are holding up, and performing, as promised.

I've watched a few cases/drums fall off stages. Once, both my 13 and 16 tom cases tumbled down a flight of stairs out the back of a venue. The cases were scuffed, but there was no damage to either drum.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I have both hard cases and bags. I love the Ahead Armor bags - very durable. For hard cases I have Humes & Berg Enduro cases with no foam, and a lone SKB case with foam for my floor tom. For my 22x18 bass drum, I managed to find a ProTechtor hard case with no foam that is on-par with the H&B cases.

I also drive an open bed truck so having hard cases is a must when I do a full load-out. If I'm using a small kit, I can manage to get the entire kit into the quad cab portion of the truck.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I ended up deciding to go with some Humes and Berg Drum Seeker bags. I really considered the Aheads, but Humes and Berg qualified for Musician's Friend 15% off so they ended up costing over $70 less for the set of 5. Protection Racket, another one I considered, would have been even more. I figure I can always put that savings toward a Rock-N-Roller cart.

I actually have a cover for my truck bed, so I figured bags would probably end up working out fine. Also like Bo mentioned, the back seat in my crew cab is also pretty large and can probably fit the whole thing back there anyway. Plus it gives me a bit more flexibility if I want to take my wife's Prius to a gig instead. I might revisit hard cases down the line, but I think these will work out for now.

Just a side note... I remember the Drum Seeker bags being the more expensive of the Humes and Berg Bags, but now it seems like they cost less than the Tuxedo. And I just misremembering or has that changed since I last bought bags?

AxisDrummer

I bought a Crush acrylic kit a few years ago for playing out and I was so paranoid about getting even a scratch or scuff in it that it was not worth the trouble. In retrospect, I should have gone with an old beat up Vistalite.

To the OP, I have Ahead bags and they're pretty good for the most part. Main gripe is the velcro flap that goes around and joins the two halves of the handle on the kick case doesn't quite reach so it's worthless, but I usually carry my kick by those nifty flat side handles anyway (which I believe are a feature unique to Ahead bags)

Someone else feels my pain. I switched to Ahead bags (from Gator) last year when I bought a higher-end kit and wanted a bit better bags. I would give the Ahead bags a 9.5 out of 10. But as you said, the 2-handles won't easily join with that Velcro flap (I have the same issue with the floor tom bags.) However those flat side grip handles on the bass drum bag are GREAT and that's how I carry mine as well....up and down my stairs to and from gigs.

Mustion

Someone else feels my pain. I switched to Ahead bags (from Gator) last year when I bought a higher-end kit and wanted a bit better bags. I would give the Ahead bags a 9.5 out of 10. But as you said, the 2-handles won't easily join with that Velcro flap (I have the same issue with the floor tom bags.) However those flat side grip handles on the bass drum bag are GREAT and that's how I carry mine as well....up and down my stairs to and from gigs.

The crazy part is, it looks like if the handle was turned slightly when they stitched the flap to it, it would work perfectly... all this time I assumed I just had a lemon until I saw your post!

I would still recommend these bags otherwise. They're great.