Another crash cymbal or effect cymbal?

Nestemaster

Hi everyone!

The thing is, my set has 6 cymbals, and I'm planning on changing the 14" crash that I have next to my hi hat, and I'm wondering if I should buy another crash (I have a 19" Meinl byzance) or an effect cymbal like a trash crash or something like that.

Is it useful to have two crashes (even if they are diferent size) or is it worth buying an effect cymbal that can add different sounds and can work as a crash too?

Thank you everyone that answer for taking your time! And sorry for my bad english :D

(The distribution of my set is very close like this one below)

CAK3unvUgAAJ5QM.jpg

Ah, I was about to say... that Dual crash does not look at all like a 14", lol. (That set is Luke Holland's if anybody was wondering.)

Depends on your musical needs. Do you wash-ride on your crash a lot? You probably would want another, smaller crash to punctuate changes while wash-riding (assuming you don't crash your ride). Having two crashes that blend well with differing pitches allows you to complement melodic lines much easier. Personally I'd make sure I had that allowance before buying a dedicated "effects cymbal" like the Byzance Vintage Trash Crash (which, sorry Luke, doesn't work at all as a "normal crash").

However, you can split the difference with less specialized "trash crashes". For example, the Meinl 18" Soundcaster Fusion trash crash, the 18" Classics Custom trash crash, the Sabian 18" HHX Evolution Ozone, and the 18" AAX Aero crash have enough "crash" in them for me to be able to work with your 19" as "normal crashes".

You could also get an overhammered cymbal with no holes in it like the 18" Byzance Extra Thin Hammered crash (ironically not that thin, more accurately the Extra Hammered crash), the Sabian 18" HHX Fierce crash, the Zildjian 18" K Constantinople crash, you get the picture. Those will be a bit darker and fuller than the "trash crashes" but also will have less bite and harshness to them.

I did recommend all 18" cymbals because most of these more specialized models don't get made in odd sizes (barring the Fierce and Constantinople) and a 16"–19" spread just seems like a bad idea.

Last edited:
Yeah I wash ride a lot on the 19" byzance, in that case, do you think it can be useful to buy something like another byzance but 18" or not?

Yeah, I would look at a 17" or 18" cymbal. I think all the ones I mentioned would pair somewhat well with your Byzance (it's a Brilliant Medium Thin, right?) except for the 18" Aero crash.

You can probably just tool around on Mycymbal and find several ones you like quickly.

Back