Annoyed by how people treat gear at music stores.

doggyd69b

It is sad for me to see the way gear (not just drums) is treated at the music stores, but that means also that you can find used (display models) gear sometimes for very cheap, and all you would have to do is replace some heads. (or some knobs) ( this is particularly true for electronic drums with mesh heads, Roland drums are extremely expensive, but if the heads are beat up, the drums are usually still in good shape, and if you happen to find the non drummer guy behind the counter he won't even argue about selling it to you for cheap.. I know it's not the most honest way to do business but you have to take it as if you are "rescuing" an instrument that would otherwise continue to be mistreated and, you are saving some $$ in the process....

EricT43

The GC in my town used to have a great drum room. It was staffed by two or three actual drummers who took care of the equipment and helped customers. Drumheads would still be beat to hell by the mouth-breathers that went in there to see how loud they could be, but it was generally a good experience. I used to go in there on my lunch break just to tinker with the cymbals and chat with those guys. And then a couple of years ago, those guys disappeared and now nobody works in the drum room. They have nice gear in there most of the time, but it's in bad shape. The cymbals are filthy, they look worse than the ones I've been playing for 15 years. It's a good place to get some sticks and heads, and occasionally they will have some incredible discounts on quality stuff (that's how I got my DW kit), but for the most part I stay away. My hope is that they become online only, shut down the store, and make some room for someone who cares to open up a real drum shop in my city.

NouveauCliche

I stopped by a local GC to poke around in the drum room and was annoyed by what I saw. A nice DW collectors snare had a broken strainer...it looks like someone intentionally busted the lever. Second, a Tama snare I tapped on was dead sounding so I flipped it over to find drumstick holes poked into the reso head.
Third, there was a new DW collectors set on display that had probably just been set up since the heads looked untouched. As I was poking around a guy, probably in his 50s, came in and proceeded to beat the snot out of the drums. I left the room because my ears couldn’t take it. After he left, I went back in and saw all the heads had been destroyed by his 10 minute bashing session.

It’s not my equipment so maybe I shouldn’t have been annoyed, but I was. End rant.
I think I've been to a guitar center once in the past 5 or 6 years while on the road to pick up an emergency drum key and a beater. It's the like the Best Buy of instruments - I just don't need to so, so I don't haha.

However - I think the point of your post could also be applied to backlines or multi band shows.

I reluctantly have set up my personal drums as the "House kit" for a couple of shows just out of necessity and fear of what else would show up for me to play our set on - but it's usually ok aside from some random tom angle or cymbal adjustment.

However - once we played this show with a known raucous blues band and my heads that I'd played for like a year with no dents were just effing thrased after their set.

I was going to say something but I found the drummer in the bathroom with a nosebleed.

I just left haha.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

However - once we played this show with a known raucous blues band and my heads that I'd played for like a year with no dents were just effing thrased after their set.

I was going to say something but I found the drummer in the bathroom with a nosebleed.

I just left haha.
how does anybody trash a set at a blues gig? What kind of blues was that? I have never been to a blues gig/show that has any passages of the songs be loud enough or wild enough to cause the drummer to play like that...

BonsaiMagpie

This is why I'm so happy to leave near a dedicated drum shop with passionate staff. And another large music shop, with a fantastic drum dept. Sometimes the UK isn't all bad :)

Mustion

how does anybody trash a set at a blues gig? What kind of blues was that? I have never been to a blues gig/show that has any passages of the songs be loud enough or wild enough to cause the drummer to play like that...
My guess is the guy tuned the drum heads super loose and had stabby technique.

Jhostetler

This is exactly why online sales have become so popular. I would much rather purchase equipment from the comfort and silence of my home than put up with the terrible conditions at my local GC. Of course like others have said sometimes you can get a great deal because the clerks in the drum room have no clue. I once picked up a nice Paiste ride cymbal for $200 off because they had mislabeled it.

TJK

In my limited experience, people are much nicer in the Southern part of the US compared to the NY/NJ/Phila metropolitan area.. I got pulled over in Tennessee as I was driving down to Memphis to compete in the international blues challenge in 2012. I had to drive 18 hours, the first 9 in a blinding snowstorm, the last 9 in just a snowstorm. Unbeknownst to me, there was snow covering my license plate on my rental car, and I got pulled over outside of Memphis. The officer actually cleaned off my license plate! We had a nice conversation about our reason to be there in Tennessee and he sent us on our way. OMG that would NEVER happen near Phila and south NJ.
Yeah philly, what a dump

Benthedrummer

I've got a great anecdote on this topic.

A few months ago I went to my local drum shop. The team had employed this young kid to do cleaning etc in the store after school.

Anyways, he was cleaning the electronic kit section and was also vacuuming the floor.

I was watching him and he turned off the vacuum cleaner, bent down and picked up a cowbell bracket that attaches to the bass drum hoop on the floor.

He then proceeded to smash the snare pad as hard as he could with the cowbell bracket.

I saw him do it and yelled out as loud as I could to stop.....then I ran over to him and grabbed it out of his hands.

He'd ripped the mesh and bent the snare pad bracket.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I've got a great anecdote on this topic.

A few months ago I went to my local drum shop. The team had employed this young kid to do cleaning etc in the store after school.

Anyways, he was cleaning the electronic kit section and was also vacuuming the floor.

I was watching him and he turned off the vacuum cleaner, bent down and picked up a cowbell bracket that attaches to the bass drum hoop on the floor.

He then proceeded to smash the snare pad as hard as he could with the cowbell bracket.

I saw him do it and yelled out as loud as I could to stop.....then I ran over to him and grabbed it out of his hands.

He'd ripped the mesh and bent the snare pad bracket.
does he still work there?

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
If GC had an actual drum guy on staff, maybe this wouldn't happen. 99% of the times I go in there, there's no one in that room. No wonder things get messed up.