Annoyed by how people treat gear at music stores.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I stopped by a local GC to poke around in the drum room and was annoyed by what I saw. A nice DW collectors snare had a broken strainer...it looks like someone intentionally busted the lever. Second, a Tama snare I tapped on was dead sounding so I flipped it over to find drumstick holes poked into the reso head.
Third, there was a new DW collectors set on display that had probably just been set up since the heads looked untouched. As I was poking around a guy, probably in his 50s, came in and proceeded to beat the snot out of the drums. I left the room because my ears couldn’t take it. After he left, I went back in and saw all the heads had been destroyed by his 10 minute bashing session.

It’s not my equipment so maybe I shouldn’t have been annoyed, but I was. End rant.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

well..GC is the lowest of the low...ours is the same way....and from what I see, it is due to understaffing, and staffing with people who don't really care about working. At ours, the 2 guys in the store are usually by the expensive guitar area and are absorbed in their own conversation as the store is over run with shredders and bangers knocking stuff down, leaving cords unplugged and amps humming etc...

I go in there maybe 3 times a year to get bass strings on the fly and it is a zoo if it is not completely dead...sadly, we don't have any legit guitar shops in town anymore.

Luckily we still have Columbus Pro Percussion for drum stuff...that is my home away from home

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Out here I've been told stories of parents dropping off their kids to go play in a retail store while those parents go do other stuff. "Daycare" is just about literal except they aren't paid for it.

As a young lad I worked in an electronic games store and parents would do the same thing there... Drop the kids off to hang out in the "Electronics Boutique" and play the display dreamcast for 7 hours while they worked a shift... One of them was the most annoying kid I've ever encountered too.

Jasta 11

I was checking out a purchase at a GC a few month back and noticed one of the Djembe's had a split head....how is that even possible, a knife maybe?

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I was checking out a purchase at a GC a few month back and noticed one of the Djembe's had a split head....how is that even possible, a knife maybe?
Overtightening usually. Or storing the drum upside down on a hard, rough surface.

Jml

I don’t know why I still visit Guitar Center or Sam Ash. When I do, it sounds like it’s a beginning drummers drum-a-thon going on in there. I usually turn around and leave. Don’t know how people can work there with that noise.

beatdat

Out here I've been told stories of parents dropping off their kids to go play in a retail store while those parents go do other stuff. "Daycare" is just about literal except they aren't paid for it.

As a young lad I worked in an electronic games store and parents would do the same thing there... Drop the kids off to hang out in the "Electronics Boutique" and play the display dreamcast for 7 hours while they worked a shift... One of them was the most annoying kid I've ever encountered too.
“Daycare” is what I was thinking too.

I wonder what child services would have to say about that?

Mongrel

Silver Member
The *shame* of it is...

Were it not for this kind of stuff going on, the drum rooms wouldn't bee *that* bad of a place to check out gear-at least at my (Cherry Hill NJ) local GC. The guys there are pretty cool, decent stuff on the floor, but the whole "Guitar Center as Walmart of the Music World" KILLS it....

Should have to pass a test before they let you in...

Show me a para-diddle...single stroke roll...how about a flam? Okay, cool, you may enter...

lol

Mustion

Happens to natural hide heads at high tension. The tear looks like an even slash as if made by a knife. I've seen this happen many times on bongos that are played with sticks. This is one reason why they shouldn't be kept at tension all the time.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Wow. Maybe it's just because I'm in a smaller southern state, but I never see those kinds of antics in the Little Rock Guitar Center. The store is always clean, the personnel are always friendly and welcoming, and it's very rare to be forced to endure anybody banging away on the acoustic sets. The electric sets are usually running (and show lots of wear), but they are turned down to a reasonable level.

The only problem I have with this store is that it seems to be sitting at the end of GC's supply chain. They rarely carry any high-end kits, the cymbal selection is very sparse and unchanging, and replaceables such as drum sticks and heads are very low in number and choices. The latter is quite irritating. If I need sticks or heads, I'm always forced to buy from internet suppliers because our GC doesn't stock them.

GeeDeeEmm

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I avoid Guitar Sucker & Sam Ass as much as possible for all kinds of reasons that just piss me off.
Gear bashers, never a drum guy on staff, incompetent staff in general...the list goes on.

I'll go there for sticks or something I need in a pinch, but I always know where it is & can get out quick!

Mustion

Wow. Maybe it's just because I'm in a smaller southern state, but I never see those kinds of antics in the Little Rock Guitar Center. The store is always clean, the personnel are always friendly and welcoming, and it's very rare to be forced to endure anybody banging away on the acoustic sets. The electric sets are usually running (and show lots of wear), but they are turned down to a reasonable level.

The only problem I have with this store is that it seems to be sitting at the end of GC's supply chain. They rarely carry any high-end kits, the cymbal selection is very sparse and unchanging, and replaceables such as drum sticks and heads are very low in number and choices. The latter is quite irritating. If I need sticks or heads, I'm always forced to buy from internet suppliers because our GC doesn't stock them.

GeeDeeEmm
I guess that's the flip side to living in a part of the country where people are (presumably) nicer...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I guess that's the flip side to living in a part of the country where people are (presumably) nicer...
In my limited experience, people are much nicer in the Southern part of the US compared to the NY/NJ/Phila metropolitan area.. I got pulled over in Tennessee as I was driving down to Memphis to compete in the international blues challenge in 2012. I had to drive 18 hours, the first 9 in a blinding snowstorm, the last 9 in just a snowstorm. Unbeknownst to me, there was snow covering my license plate on my rental car, and I got pulled over outside of Memphis. The officer actually cleaned off my license plate! We had a nice conversation about our reason to be there in Tennessee and he sent us on our way. OMG that would NEVER happen near Phila and south NJ.

Jml

In my limited experience, people are much nicer in the Southern part of the US compared to the NY/NJ/Phila metropolitan area.. I got pulled over in Tennessee as I was driving down to Memphis to compete in the international blues challenge in 2012. I had to drive 18 hours, the first 9 in a blinding snowstorm, the last 9 in just a snowstorm. Unbeknownst to me, there was snow covering my license plate on my rental car, and I got pulled over outside of Memphis. The officer actually cleaned off my license plate! We had a nice conversation about our reason to be there in Tennessee and he sent us on our way. OMG that would NEVER happen near Phila and south NJ.
In north Jersey, you’d get a ticket just for driving in that snowstorm!