Animals As Leaders - The Woven Web Cover

Hi Everyone!

My name is Geoff and I'm a drummer of about 15 years from Columbus, Ohio. I just recorded a new drum cover of The Woven Web by Animals as Leaders. I've recorded a few covers, but this is the first that I'm truly proud of. Please have a look and let me know what you think! If you're interested, I also posted a lesson video that explains how to play the song. It will appear as a link across my video when you get to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DS7X0SHPWE

I just moved and have a dedicated practice space, so I hope to post more covers and lessons. If you have any songs you would like to see covered or turned into a lesson, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Geoff

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
You know, I'm not really into drum covers but, for some reason I thought I'd check this out and I'm surprised you don't have more comments because this was really great. Super-solid job, man. Pretty intriguing group, too. I'm not familiar with them so I have nothing to compare to but, I'd say you nailed the vibe. And you charted it all out, too. Impressive.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
Well done man, great job! This is one of my favorite songs from them which is why it caught my eye. One thing though, during the very funky syncopated break, try to loosen up a bit. You nailed the parts but it needs to swing a little more with your feet. Give it a shot without listening to it and imagine the bass (strings of course :)) while playing, try using a china with less sustain or dampen yours and you'll see what I mean.

Awesome playing man...

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
You were playing your toms, while wearing Toms, if only your name were Tom.

Anyway, that song is really fresh sounding, and you were most certainly "killing it" as the kids say these days. Nice job.

Wow, thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate it. I love this band, so my thought to try to cover this song came pretty instinctively - especially since it has that crazy breakdown with double bass in the middle and at the end. My goal was to really chart it out like I did. My hope was that A) I would learn it better if I could practice it while looking at what's really being played (although in some places it was hard to tell what was really going on since the other instruments muddy it up a bit!); and B) I wanted to post the transcription so other people can see what's going on, too. Hopefully it will help others learn it and it was fun figuring it out.

That said, I understand what you mean when you say loosen up :) I've been told I look like a robot before, so that doesn't come as a huge surprise, ha. Notheless, I'll definitely try to get a bit more fluid!

Otherwise, for those of you who haven't heard Animals as Leaders, you should definitely check them out! They cover a wide range of styles and influences, so it's hard not to find an aspect of their music you can appreciate.

Last, but certainly not least, THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS ON HERE!!! I've been very pleasantly surprised by the feedback I'm getting for this video and a lot of it has come on this forum. I've been visiting this website and checking out drummer profiles for a few years, but I've never joined the forum until now. Everyone seems really awesome!

Please stay tuned for more covers in the near future. I'm working on Accelerated Evolution by The Faceless at the moment, but I'm very open to suggestions if you have any! And, if you guys have covers or videos out there, please let me know. I'd love to check them out.

Thanks!

Geoff

Well done man, great job! This is one of my favorite songs from them which is why it caught my eye. One thing though, during the very funky syncopated break, try to loosen up a bit. You nailed the parts but it needs to swing a little more with your feet. Give it a shot without listening to it and imagine the bass (strings of course :)) while playing, try using a china with less sustain or dampen yours and you'll see what I mean.

Awesome playing man...
I already mentioned that I agree about the syncopated part (trying to loosen up a little), but I forgot to say that I also agree about the china, too. In the real song it's more like a china stack or china-hats type thing, right? More of a quick, trashy burst sound? Thanks again!

You were playing your toms, while wearing Toms, if only your name were Tom.

Anyway, that song is really fresh sounding, and you were most certainly "killing it" as the kids say these days. Nice job.
Haha, amazing. Unfortunately, I'm must regretfully tell you that I was actually wearing Dunlops...cheap Tom rip offs. I know, I know. I blew it :)