Angry sellers

How's this for a description on eBay ...... TMI ?

"For sale- a Vintage Stainless Steel Ludwig Snare Drum as pictured. That was my opening line when I first listed this thing. Which immediately drew the ire of Ludwig drum fans everywhere. It was pointed out to me that the drum was aluminum by many, some who were nice about it and others that decidedly were not. And dutifully I went and took a closer look and clearly the body of the drum, the cylinder if you will is in fact aluminum. Sue me. I would argue that the part of the drum that you see most clearly other than the top head is the piece, top and bottom that secures the head in place and i would guess that is in fact stainless steel. I don't think you could stamp aluminum like that and not have it break and even if you could chrome plating aluminum is a fool's errand. I don't know anything about drums but i do know a few things about metal. Brass plates well but I don't think you could stamp it like that, it has to be machined and that doesn't look machined. So if you want to continue to argue metallurgy I am all in.
And part of the problem with that original listing was that shortly thereafter the fine folks at ebay suspended my ability to create or edit listings because I refused to sign on to their mandatory "Managed Payments" plan, which benefits no one other than ebay. I have since been shown the error of my ways when they ended all of my listings. So I could either end the listing or let it run as it was, with FAQ questions and answers piling up but of course nobody reads those. So here we are again. ebay now Manages My Payments. I feel so much better.
Back to the drum. It would have been purchased new in 1964 or 65. No earlier, no later although I can’t account for how long the music dealer might have had it in stock. I would have had this out to make noise with for no more than a couple of years and only sparingly at that. I was at best the next to worst drummer in the fighting Riverside Elementary School band, and I am guessing the guy that I thought might be worse than I was might have some issues with my ranking. Heads are both original, top one autographed by yours truly. String securing the snares is wearing through but that looks like it could easily be replaced.
I had a Zyldjian Cymbal up for sale but that has sold. I can’t remember whether band was offered first in the fourth grade or the fifth. But I can remember distinctly that I sucked. The snare was a Christmas present one year, the cymbal the following year with I guess the thought process being eventually I would have a whole set. But as I came to realize exactly how bad I was I lost interest in the whole project and secretly dropped out. When my mom found out she made me go back because after all they had spent all that money on a drum and a cymbal. Ungrateful kid! But at some point I finally was able to call my drumming career quits. That would have been no later than 1967.
So you’re talking about a snare that has only been hammered on sporadically by a 100 pound ten year old. By used drum standards I would guess that’s about as good as it gets. Serial number 211108 if that tells you anything. I have a stand for it but obviously that would complicate the shipping. If you want that too I will invoice you for it with an extra ten bucks added in to cover the additional shipping, but you have to ask (and pay) for it or all you are going to get is the drum. The stand I think is missing one of the three rubber feet. I also have the original case which is a lot the worse for wear, shown in the last picture. You can have the case at no extra charge BUT the size of the box required increases dramatically. At that point I would have to consult fedex.com for a box 24x24x12, my zip to yours. You can look that up yourself but it won’t be cheap, so please, you need to really want the case which is not in great shape or the shipping cost will blow the deal out of the water.
The drum is roughly 14" in diameter and i measure the ALUMINUM side at 5 5/8" high. What you see is what you get. Please check out my other listings for more musical equipment, including the Zildjian Cymbal. Check back often!
Sold as is, as described, as pictured. Potential buyers are asked to please make sure you have read the listing carefully, and understand what you are buying. Ebay’s condition codes for used items, which I am required to choose from, might imply a degree of functionality that my limited time, knowledge, and facilities do not allow me to ascertain. If the functional condition of the piece is known it will be stated in the listing. Unless a warranty is specifically offered returns are not accepted regardless of any implied functionality.
Payment is expected within 7 days of the sale and I need to hear from you within 3 days to confirm the transaction. Please add $18.99 for shipping (just the drum) anywhere in the continental US. International shipments plus Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico ship based on whatever cost is determined by USPS.com."

He pushed back saying he’s already getting offers “almost” at his price! So I asked him why he didn’t take any of those?
When this question goes unanswered, you know he's lying. I can't count on both hands & toes the number of bozos like this I get on Facebook Marketplace & eBay. Telling me they've gotten offers at near their asking price yet go silent on why they didn't grab at it.

Enjoy the show, but exit that convo with a quickness.

Very funny but I do hate that. :mad: I understand what Bo's saying but you shouldn't make assumptions about why someone's selling or why they should keep it. If the guy is asking crazy money nobody will buy it whether it's Sonor, Rogers, Tama et al. I don't think it's worth trolling people over.
I'd like to see the link so I can see if it's outrageously priced.
Only choking your cymbals mate!:)(y)

How's this for a description on eBay ...... TMI ?

"For sale- a Vintage Stainless Steel Ludwig Snare Drum as pictured. That was my opening line when I first listed this thing. Which immediately drew the ire of Ludwig drum fans everywhere. It was pointed out to me that the drum was aluminum by many, some who were nice about it and others that decidedly were not. And dutifully I went and took a closer look and clearly the body of the drum, the cylinder if you will is in fact aluminum. Sue me. I would argue that the part of the drum that you see most clearly other than the top head is the piece, top and bottom that secures the head in place and i would guess that is in fact stainless steel. I don't think you could stamp aluminum like that and not have it break and even if you could chrome plating aluminum is a fool's errand. I don't know anything about drums but i do know a few things about metal. Brass plates well but I don't think you could stamp it like that, it has to be machined and that doesn't look machined. So if you want to continue to argue metallurgy I am all in.
And part of the problem with that original listing was that shortly thereafter the fine folks at ebay suspended my ability to create or edit listings because I refused to sign on to their mandatory "Managed Payments" plan, which benefits no one other than ebay. I have since been shown the error of my ways when they ended all of my listings. So I could either end the listing or let it run as it was, with FAQ questions and answers piling up but of course nobody reads those. So here we are again. ebay now Manages My Payments. I feel so much better.
Back to the drum. It would have been purchased new in 1964 or 65. No earlier, no later although I can’t account for how long the music dealer might have had it in stock. I would have had this out to make noise with for no more than a couple of years and only sparingly at that. I was at best the next to worst drummer in the fighting Riverside Elementary School band, and I am guessing the guy that I thought might be worse than I was might have some issues with my ranking. Heads are both original, top one autographed by yours truly. String securing the snares is wearing through but that looks like it could easily be replaced.
I had a Zyldjian Cymbal up for sale but that has sold. I can’t remember whether band was offered first in the fourth grade or the fifth. But I can remember distinctly that I sucked. The snare was a Christmas present one year, the cymbal the following year with I guess the thought process being eventually I would have a whole set. But as I came to realize exactly how bad I was I lost interest in the whole project and secretly dropped out. When my mom found out she made me go back because after all they had spent all that money on a drum and a cymbal. Ungrateful kid! But at some point I finally was able to call my drumming career quits. That would have been no later than 1967.
So you’re talking about a snare that has only been hammered on sporadically by a 100 pound ten year old. By used drum standards I would guess that’s about as good as it gets. Serial number 211108 if that tells you anything. I have a stand for it but obviously that would complicate the shipping. If you want that too I will invoice you for it with an extra ten bucks added in to cover the additional shipping, but you have to ask (and pay) for it or all you are going to get is the drum. The stand I think is missing one of the three rubber feet. I also have the original case which is a lot the worse for wear, shown in the last picture. You can have the case at no extra charge BUT the size of the box required increases dramatically. At that point I would have to consult fedex.com for a box 24x24x12, my zip to yours. You can look that up yourself but it won’t be cheap, so please, you need to really want the case which is not in great shape or the shipping cost will blow the deal out of the water.
The drum is roughly 14" in diameter and i measure the ALUMINUM side at 5 5/8" high. What you see is what you get. Please check out my other listings for more musical equipment, including the Zildjian Cymbal. Check back often!
Sold as is, as described, as pictured. Potential buyers are asked to please make sure you have read the listing carefully, and understand what you are buying. Ebay’s condition codes for used items, which I am required to choose from, might imply a degree of functionality that my limited time, knowledge, and facilities do not allow me to ascertain. If the functional condition of the piece is known it will be stated in the listing. Unless a warranty is specifically offered returns are not accepted regardless of any implied functionality.
Payment is expected within 7 days of the sale and I need to hear from you within 3 days to confirm the transaction. Please add $18.99 for shipping (just the drum) anywhere in the continental US. International shipments plus Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico ship based on whatever cost is determined by USPS.com."
Am I sensing a mild dose of GAS from you @harryconway ? I hope you didn’t lowball him…:unsure:😂

Nothing close to being iconic. I suggested he keep it and get his moneys worth. I mean, you just spent a lot of money one year ago on a kit that’s not popular. If he liked it so much to buy, he should keep it and get a gig.
A take away from this story: Buy quality equipment you know will work for you now, and into the future. Stay away from the trendy stuff that is a passing fad. I own equipment I bought over thirty years ago that still serves me well. Don't expect to sell it in short order for what you paid for it. Ever buy a new car?

A take away from this story: Buy quality equipment you know will work for you now, and into the future. Stay away from the trendy stuff that is a passing fad. I own equipment I bought over thirty years ago that still serves me well. Don't expect to sell it in short order for what you paid for it. Ever buy a new car?
Like all those kids that buy the odd ball DW kits with weird sizes and finishes. Those are worse than buying a new car 😉

I felt compelled to kinda troll this guy (unintentional, of course). What is it with the angry sellers?

This guy was selling a kit he just bought last year and he’s flat-out berating people on the conversation that his price is fair and “you’ll never find this deal anywhere” blah blah blah. All I did was caution that he’d be lucky to get half of what he spent because it’s a buyer’s market with everybody selling their gear from this past pandemic and now with the lowered economy.

So I prodded him that he’d have to find a guy who wants exactly what he bought now used. If it isn’t a Beatles/Bonham/Buddy kit, good luck. Man, did that just unleash the anger. He pushed back saying he’s already getting offers “almost” at his price! So I asked him why he didn’t take any of those? It was like winding up the Tasmanian Devil - highly amusing but a little sad too.

I’m sure if he was nice to everybody and kept the conversation decent we’d probably help and spread the word. But oh well. Don’t be an angry seller!
Looking at prices the last few weeks, it looks more like a sellers market. New C&C kits have almost doubled in price. New Gretsch (the USA made stuff). DW. Same thing. The exact DW kit I bought February 2020 is now almost $1,000 higher. Same goes for used kits they seem to be at highest price point in over a year.

Only buyers market I see right now is on snares. Some good deals too be had on quality used collectible snares.

There's a guy on FB selling broken, sorry "professionally repaired" cymbals for about £80 a pop.

I laughed at every ad and got a DM from the guy. Gotta call ripoff merchants for stuff like that!

The new still seems to be going, or at least staying, up.
Apparently, supply issues + 6.8% inflation in the US = 20% rise in prices.
I will be willing to wager that 20% rise never goes away.

I've never really taken the time to contact a seller who is listing something way over priced. Bo's experience with an angry seller is just what I would have expected. I'm glad he did it just to confirm my suspicions.

Every once in a while I've had people contact ME when I'm selling something trying to get a lower price. One time it got REALLY weird. I was selling a bass guitar. The dude made up this big, long story about a poor, sick child who's life would be complete if I would only just sell him the bass for cheap.

I ended up giving the bass to my brother.

No it was my kit.

A 6 piece Sonor SQ1 that I just sold yesterday for 3200 bucks. I paid 5000 dollars just 14 months ago for.

Angry Sellers? What about people who know zero about Sonor drums with zero interest in buying the kit who jump in on our discussion just to bring their negative BS, who then turn that interaction into a forum post on DW for validation of some sort.

What a strange strange world we live in.

Bo is the kinda guy who walk into a Lambo dealer, just to tell the owner his cars are over priced.

Imagine doing that in real life ?

If something is not for you, move on. I swear there is a certain generation of people who think every post they see on Facebook is directly speaking to them and if they have to respond.

Facebook is directly speaking to them and if they have to respond.
You didn't know? That's exactly what instatwitface is, a way for people to insert themselves and their opinions into anything and everything. Especially when they have nothing of value to add.

No it was my kit.

A 6 piece Sonor SQ1 that I just sold yesterday for 3200 bucks. I paid 5000 dollars just 14 months ago for.

Angry Sellers? What about people who know zero about Sonor drums with zero interest in buying the kit who jump in on our discussion just to bring their negative BS, who then turn that interaction into a forum post on DW for validation of some sort.

What a strange strange world we live in.
This is a final frontier if I must say, seems trolls are coming out of the woodwork.

Unrelated but just the degree of discordance we are getting to.
On another drum forum, someone put a poll inquiring as to why the person exists on such forum.
Utterly disgraceful

On another forum someone put a poll inquiring as to why the person exists on such forum.
I've been telling people for decades that I don't actually exist, I am simply a construct of the world's collective imagination.

Bo is the kinda guy who walk into a Lambo dealer, just to tell the owner his cars are over priced.

Imagine doing that in real life ?

If something is not for you, move on. I swear there is a certain generation of people who think every post they see on Facebook is directly speaking to them and if they have to respond.
Hey the angry guy is here! Now you can get his special vibe first hand 😂😂😂

Back