Angle Grinding Rims

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I've been using repinique patterns on my tom. For sambas, I flip my tom over and use the thin reso head, then during the repinique section, I hust leave my left stick on the snare. I've been tossing around the idea of modding the rim to make it easier to use the hand. Then I realized my angle grinder that I use for granite came with a steel cutting wheel. The question I have, is how would I go about finishing or polishing the rim after it has been cut. Would I need to paint it to keep from oxidizing?

WallyY

Platinum Member
Easier, or less harsh on your hand?
If you need padding on the rim you can use tubing over the rim edge similar to the Roland v drum rims.

If you cut the rim the loss of structural strength will make it harder to tune.

Have you considered trying an S-hoop?

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Easier, or less harsh on your hand?
If you need padding on the rim you can use tubing over the rim edge similar to the Roland v drum rims.

If you cut the rim the loss of structural strength will make it harder to tune.

Have you considered trying an S-hoop?
Those do look like some of repinique rims, I've seen. The other variety I have seen just had a notch. I might be inclined to try those.

soulfly28

To answer your question, yes. You will, at a minimum want to primer them. Clear coat won't really stick to bare metal. You will also want to really lay the paint and clear coat on thick for the protection and to protect against chipping. An angle grinder will be kinda difficult to work with on a hoop. I do a lot of metal working. You will also have to consider what the original coating is. I am assuming this is chrome plating. You would need to REALLY pay attention to what you are doing. Not sure if it would work, but you may be able to do your pattern, then have them powder coated. Just my thoughts.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
The other possibility is wood hoops. My current fav snare has wood hoops and with the snares off, I can do pretty convincing conga patterns with my hands.