And My New Zildjian Cymbal Series Is . . .

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
A AVEDIS

This is Zildjian's "throwback" series, a tribute to cymbals of the 1930s through the 1960s. They sound darker and mellower than regular As but are still clean and articulate. They're thin and lightweight, which keeps them in a lower tonal range, precisely what I was looking for. Every cymbal in this series, aside from hats, is designated as multiuse, just like in the old days. Here are the sizes I selected:

15" Hi-Hats: This is my first set of 15" hats ever. These have a low-pitched bark and a subtle sizzle. They blend beautifully with just about everything.

Two 19" Crashes: These are very thin and low, and their large diameters give them a tasteful baritone howl. They're complex without being trashy. I don't do extreme trash in cymbals.

21" Ride: Nuanced, reserved, and musical. What I like most about this ride is the complete integration of its bell. When you move to the bell on some rides, you hear nothing but the bell, almost as though the bell and the bow are two separate instruments. Not so in this case. The entire cymbal sings through the bell. Very stylish!

Why did I make a switch? I've been playing a lot of laid-back, low-volume music for the last year or so. I don't think that will change. I needed to subdue my cymbal voice yet find something versatile enough to work in all applications. After listening -- again and again and again -- to EVERYTHING Zildjian is making right now, the A Avedis series was the clear winner for me. Yes, these were an investment, but they'll keep me set for a very long time.

A few neat features of these cymbals:

I. The Avedis logo was taken from Avedis Zildjian's passport signature.

II. The bottom of each cymbal bears the old-school hollow Zildjian emblem.

III. At the factory, Zildjian pens the gram weight of each cymbal inside its bell.

Special thanks to @TK-421 , who owns an A Avedis specimen, for answering some of my questions on the series. Thanks also to Chuck at Zildjian. The whole staff there has always been amazingly helpful, one of the main reasons I've played the brand so long.

Below are photos of my 15" hats. I didn't want to post a ton of pictures.

Avedis 15 Hi-Hat Top.jpgAvedis 15 Hi-Hat Bottom.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff! Funny, I was just telling my wife earlier that I would like a set of 15" hats again.

I like the passport signature. It looks like some super fancy elite thing, not a Zildjian. Not that Zildjian isnt super fancy elite, these just look like $$$. Like if the Sultan of Brunei needed some cymbals, this is what he would get.

Ah nice! Those are some sweet cymbals man. My buddy has a few original models from the 40's-60's and they sound pretty awesome.

Please upload a demo to SoundCloud if possible!

Will do at some point, CB. I had some recording lined up this month. Owing to the pandemic, it's pushed out until God knows when. But yes, I want to record with these cymbals as soon as possible. I'll also be setting up my home studio for remote recordings soon.

Good stuff! Funny, I was just telling my wife earlier that I would like a set of 15" hats again.

I like the passport signature. It looks like some super fancy elite thing, not a Zildjian. Not that Zildjian isnt super fancy elite, these just look like $$$. Like if the Sultan of Brunei needed some cymbals, this is what he would get.

I love this entire series, but it was the 15" hats that really won me over. They have a depth I just couldn't ignore.

Those are super sexy my friend! ??

I am curious if you bought these in a set, that you didn't get to hear the individual cymbals until after you committed....or if you got these individually/or heard them before buying

I am curious if you bought these in a set, that you didn't get to hear the individual cymbals until after you committed....or if you got these individually/or heard them before buying

These don't come in sets, Larry. You have to buy each cymbal separately. And yes, with cast cymbals, there's always a risk in doing so without hearing each one first. But my research on this series revealed that weight variations weren't as drastic as I expected, so I decided to take a chance. Fortunately, I ended up with compatible weights that meet my approval. They all sound great together.

Congrats on the new suit!
For those referring to sound files, there’s some COVID home sessions with Chad Smith on YT where he uses these. They to me sound big and open just like classic rock cymbals.

Nice!!
I can't wait for a full review with sound files. I'm curious as to how much "darker and mellower" they are compared to the original A's.
The website describes their sound as "bright and sweet". :unsure:

They're darker than regular As but certainly not along the lines of a K Kerope or a K Constantinople. That stuff is midnight all the way.

These don't come in sets, Larry. You have to buy each cymbal separately. And yes, with cast cymbals, there's always a risk in doing so without hearing each one first. But my research on this series revealed that weight variations weren't as drastic as I expected, so I decided to take a chance. Fortunately, I ended up with compatible weights that meet my approval. They all sound great together.
Gotcha. Glad it worked out in the end.
Buying cymbals deaf is like buying clothes online.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Congrats on the new suit!
For those referring to sound files, there’s some COVID home sessions with Chad Smith on YT where he uses these. They to me sound big and open just like classic rock cymbals.

I wouldn't use those videos as flattering sound files. As much as I like Chad's playing, the quality of those home recordings is poor. They almost turned me off from the series. I dismissed them and found much better examples.

A AVEDIS

This is Zildjian's "throwback" series, a tribute to cymbals of the 1930s through the 1960s. They sound darker and mellower than regular As but are still clean and articulate. They're thin and lightweight, which keeps them in a lower tonal range, precisely what I was looking for. Every cymbal in this series, aside from hats, is designated as multiuse, just like in the old days. Here are the sizes I selected:

15" Hi-Hats: This is my first set of 15" hats ever. These have a low-pitched bark and a subtle sizzle. They blend beautifully with just about everything.

18" and 19" Crashes: These are very thin and low, and their large diameters give them a tasteful baritone howl. They're complex without being trashy. I don't do extreme trash in cymbals.

21" Ride: Nuanced, reserved, and musical. What I like most about this ride is the complete integration of its bell. When you move to the bell on some rides, you hear nothing but the bell, almost as though the bell and the bow are two separate instruments. Not so in this case. The entire cymbal sings through the bell. Very stylish!

Why did I make a switch? I've been playing a lot of laid-back, low-volume music for the last year or so. I don't think that will change. I needed to subdue my cymbal voice yet find something versatile enough to work in all applications. After listening -- again and again and again -- to EVERYTHING Zildjian is making right now, the A Avedis series was the clear winner for me. Yes, these were an investment, but they'll keep me set for a very long time.

A few neat features of these cymbals:

I. The Avedis logo was taken from Avedis Zildjian's passport signature.

II. The bottom of each cymbal features the old-school hollow Zildjian emblem.

III. At the factory, Zildjian pens the gram weight of each cymbal inside its bell.

Special thanks to @TK-421 , who owns an A Avedis specimen, for answering some of my questions on the series. Thanks also to Chuck at Zildjian. The whole staff there has always been amazingly helpful, one of the main reasons I've played the brand so long.

Below are photos of my 15" hats. I didn't want to post a ton of pictures.

Very, very nice. I grew up on a set a vintage As at my school and my band director had a set on his old Ludwigs. It's a such a good and versatile sound that some times it's easy not to appreciate just how many situations a set of cymbals like yours can cover well.

That's a perfect set of cymbals. woudplay/10

Now lets get you into a Gretsch with a fresh set of Evans ;-)

Back