And just like that, you hate your current gear...

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Maybe "hate" is a little strong here, but let me explain this little phenomenon.

You're perfectly happy with what you have, then for whatever reason, you are introduced to a new piece of gear. Not only does it sound great, but at the same time, it makes what you currently play sound sort of crummy. I think this goes a little beyond your standard Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I'm not talking about "This is my great snare drum, but here's my other great snare drum." I'm talking more about "I used to like this snare drum, then I heard that one. It made my old one sound like garbage."

For example, the first time I played my first Pork Pie USA kit really made my early 1990's Tama Rockstars sound horrid. Not only did the Pies sound better, it's almost like their sound highlighted every shortcoming my Tamas had (and still have). I gave my Tama drums away within a week of getting my Pork Pie kit (I got them back about 10 years later. Long story.).

Anyone else relate to this?

No, but I kinda wish I did. I’ve got a room full of kits, snares and cymbals I haven’t touched in years, I feel a bit guilty having this hoard of stuff. It’s just not worth selling any of it as I know I’ll lose too much $$$ on much of it, and if I free up space I’ll probably be more likely to buy new shit.

Never been a change like that, but when I first saw Karizma live on the Document tour I stood right in front of Mike's guitarcab and changed my idea of good guitar tone pretty much instantly. Went from thin hi gain Ibanez to a strat with pedals through Black Face or Plexi type amps.

I started drumming late and from listening to Vinnie's USA customs so much it was pretty much clear what I wanted. Has never changed and new "improved" gear hasn't changed that either. I have a few snares. Some of them are one trick ponies, but for the most part they're just different and slight variations on a theme I like.

Sort of, but not for the same reason. I had a nice kit from a boutique drum maker recently that I was happy with until I had some issues. Long story short, they kinda dropped the ball with service in my opinion and after that, I lost interest in the kit. There were other reasons that contributed, sound (mahogany shells I didn’t care for as much as I thought I would)...quality of craftsmanship....but the poor service was what pushed me over the edge. Sold the kit in a few months and bought a new kit I’m very happy with.

I’ve not experienced this with drums. Anything I bought that I didn’t like (cymbals, snare drums) I sold it within months.

However, I’ve spent $1000s on photo gear that was inferior to other brands/models. Tripods! I bought six tripods before my final purchase. Add the cost of those first six to the cost of my final purchase adds up to “too impatient to save up $$”.

The closest thing I can relate was when I woke up one day, played my drums, and decided I no longer liked the (IMO) restricted tone of die cast hoops on my snare.

Bam, just like that it happened, like someone turned a switch off. That was at least 4 years ago.

I feel this way about 14" snares. Started playing a 13" like 3 1/2 years ago, fell in love instantly and have no desire at all to ever play a 14" again.

I don't think I've done this with drums - I upgraded out of my first kit not so much because they didn't sound good, because they did. (PDP FS birch kit) It was more about wanting to invest in a kit that was going to take me a ways on my journey as a drummer, and in the 2.5 years I had the PDP, I'd had some issue - mostly hardware - with them. In any case, I didn't hate them, I just knew that I wanted to move to something that was made a bit better. I got my mapel Pearl SMX Session and never really looked back, except for when I built my own 16x14 floor tom - I never liked the 14x11 hanging tom that came with that kit. In any case, that was in 2006, and I got them with the goal that they'd hold me at least 10 years, so they've done that, and they'll continue to take me on my drumming journey.

Moving gear has always been a matter of steps toward improvement for me.

Bach Stradivarius Trumpet, Medium Large Bore, 37 bell, to Bach Strad Large Bore, 25 Bell - I'd simply worn out the ML 37, and needed a new horn.
Bach Strad LB 25 to Schilke B6 trumpet - I was doing a lot of commercial type playing and wanted a horn with more brilliance and cut to the sound.
Schilke B6 to Jupiter 1600i Roger Ingram Signature trumpet - I wanted a horn with a commercial sound, but a horn that slotted better for accuracy.
Added a Gretsch Catalina Club bop kit - I wanted a smaller kit for lower volume situations. This one is semi-permanently at the church where I play.

I don't shift gear often - typically I get 9-10 years or so out of whatever it is I'm using. Those four trumpets I've listed cover a span of almost 35 years, and I've got about 4 years on the current horn.

The first time I played Paiste Dark Energy cymbals was at the Drum Center of Portsmouth while I was in college. I ended up going home with a 19" Crash, and immediately started selling my Sabians in order to fund my switch to Paiste. I should not have sold my 22" HH Rock Ride (still haven't heard another one that was as sweet), but I stand by my decision otherwise. Those Paistes have a top end unlike anything else.

And last year, my band had a rehearsal at the keyboardist's dad's house, who had his friend's 80s Gretsch kit; the kick on that kit convinced me that I needed some Jasper shells in my life, even though my Birch Absolutes are still 'my' sound. I got a vintage Gretsch kit with a 24 a few months after that, then another kit with a 22 about ten months after that, and I don't regret any of it. Something about those Gretsch kicks makes them blow pretty much every other kick out of the water. Except maybe a bubinga Tama. That'll be next...

I cherish all my gear. I am a self admitted gear head. Always upgrading or getting new stuff. I still like the older stuff tho. Some of it I sell but most of it I keep. I don't use all of it all the time but use it all at some point. Sometimes I pull out a snare that I haven't used in years and then remember why I bought it and how much I like it. It's all new again. YMMV

You're perfectly happy with what you have, then for whatever reason, you are introduced to a new piece of gear. Not only does it sound great, but at the same time, it makes what you currently play sound sort of crummy.
Anyone else relate to this?

What is the issue here? I thought this was just a normal part of life.
Knowing when to ignore these feelings is the key to happiness. (sounds like something you would find in a fortune cookie) LOL

I own arguably some of the worlds greatest drums. So I have nowhere to go except different, drum-wise, snare-wise...But it's all out of my system now, the GAS, and I am content. It's weird watching the merry go round from the outside.

Ugh, not drums but bass drum pedals. Each one gets lighter and smoother and then I work on tweaking the older ones to try to get them as close as possible to feeling as good as the new one. I can get close enough with some of the fine tuning adjustments but I can't do anything about the weight of some of those heavy foot boards, though. Still, nothing brings an old pedal back to life like a good scrub and a fresh anointment with 3-in-1 oil.

I play allready 30 years on the same set and, kinda the same, cymbal set up..

What i can not play with those, i will also not be able to play with anything else..

Must be very tiring to be busy with (and unhappy about) gear that much..

I had this happen with snare wires. I "liked" all the different the wires I was using, basically.

Then I got a set of Canopus Vintage 20 wires......
2 or 3 hits on the snare and I was blown away. I didn't even want to play the other snares until I got a couple more sets of those wires!
That never happened to me before. It was pretty crazy.

Must be very tiring to be busy with (and unhappy about) gear that much..

Well... the point of this thread, if I understood it correctly, is that you are perfectly happy with your gear (maybe for decades), not giving it a thought, until you stumble across something that completely changes the game.
For instance, I´ve been utterly satisfied with my sticks for years until I tried what became my current favourite. Easier to play, nicer sound, overall a much better fit for what I was aiming for and therefore much more inspiring to play.

..Well... the point of this thread, if I understood it correctly, is that you are perfectly happy with your gear (maybe for decades), not giving it a thought, until you stumble across something that completely changes the game..

I know..

The last sentence i wrote is more a sort of automatic reflex that i get whenever i see the word 'gear' at this place..:)

Sometimes you just need to meet your drum soulmate.

I’d always wanted the Ludwig and Paiste setup I have now, but always had more important things that needed money thrown at them.

Now that I’ve got them, I don’t expect to ever change kits. I’m may add a drum or cymbal here or there (I only have three snares), but the core of my setup is impervious to GAS.

I own arguably some of the worlds greatest drums. So I have nowhere to go except different, drum-wise, snare-wise...But it's all out of my system now, the GAS, and I am content. It's weird watching the merry go round from the outside.
This. The best thing is watching gear you no longer desire go up in price and you don't want it. you can't polish a turd but you can roll it in Glitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back