And for my next number ...

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
Kind of incredible what kind of talent exists in every pocket on the globe now.

I just stumbled upon this. The guy gets into it, that's for sure.

I've been thinking about various threads and the idea of entertainment. I'm not a stick twirler. Nor is this guy, but if entertainment is part of the gig, and drummers can be entertainers as much as anything else, there must be places for all the guys who do the crazy stuff, and do it without negative comments from those more ... stabilized behind the kit.

Didn't Steve Smith say, in his hi-hat routine, "We'll do anything for applause." Tongue-in-cheek, to be sure, but for some players all the stick tricks and antics and extrovert movements are just part of the "show."

http://youtu.be/aZTQIszEpqg

Groove, meet chops.

Chops: Pleased to meet you groove.

Groove: Pleased to meet you chops.

The guy totally flows, I admire the sh*t outta that.

I really like it.

Entertainment is absolutely part of being a drummer. Music is fun to play and its purpose is to entertain others.

Music is fun to play and its purpose is to entertain others.

..dunno if I would agree...though I would not say this is wrong...

I think music has a more vital role.

When humans don't have regular emotional expression the next expression tends to be exagerated...in internal effect if not external.

That exageration can even range into an over-reaction that leads to violence.

Regular emotional exercise helps avoid this...as the person is not taken unaware by the emotional state they find themselves in.

One way to experience emotions of vast variety that is relativly easy to notice and attribute; listen to music.

I by no means subscribe to a belief that ALL violence can be described this way...but I do believe that enough violence is attributable to emotional inexperience that could be mitigated by introspection matched with emotive stimuli...like music....to warrent a re-definition of music from a purely "entertainment" paradigm to include "health".

...and of course there are the stress management factors to cathartic release...

I imagine the pent up environment of the mid 1950's and the social changes that occured that seems to have co-variated with a more 'real' musical experience coming into availability...but establishing causality here is difficult...but still an aspect worth looking at in relation to identifying the power of music on society....one seeming to go far beyond entertainment.

wow.... speed, chops, control, flair. i can't even think as fast and as fluid as he played.

I'm only 1:06 into the video and I feel inspired to never let drumsticks leave my hands for the rest of my life...if possible. I love when players move around the kit and play on ...well any object available. playing outside the box. Thanks for posting :)

..dunno if I would agree...though I would not say this is wrong...

I think music has a more vital role.

When humans don't have regular emotional expression the next expression tends to be exagerated...in internal effect if not external.

That exageration can even range into an over-reaction that leads to violence.

Regular emotional exercise helps avoid this...as the person is not taken unaware by the emotional state they find themselves in.

One way to experience emotions of vast variety that is relativly easy to notice and attribute; listen to music.

I by no means subscribe to a belief that ALL violence can be described this way...but I do believe that enough violence is attributable to emotional inexperience that could be mitigated by introspection matched with emotive stimuli...like music....to warrent a re-definition of music from a purely "entertainment" paradigm to include "health".

...and of course there are the stress management factors to cathartic release...

I imagine the pent up environment of the mid 1950's and the social changes that occured that seems to have co-variated with a more 'real' musical experience coming into availability...but establishing causality here is difficult...but still an aspect worth looking at in relation to identifying the power of music on society....one seeming to go far beyond entertainment.

Deep stuff Otto!

But if what you describe is happening, then its surely a subconscious thing. i.e. the population don't realise they are listening to music as a form of emotional safety valve.

Therefore its purpose is conscious entertainment, which leads to subconscious emotional balance as a happy byproduct.

Back