An update

aydee

Platinum Member

Been, not on much lately, and in a strange way, felt guilty .. : ) I thought I’d update some of you guys…

Big life changes for me, thesedays . New career in live entertainment -planning and branding is keeping me very busy.. working/ dealing with superbands that I have very little interest & not much in common with. Korn ( the most insane rider I’ve ever seen ) G&R ( Axl fell off the stage yesterday- again! ) , Coldplay, Linkin Park.. possibly RHCP ( which migh be fun, actually )....

... I’m playing a lot more than ever before – really kicked about that- best part of the change……experimental funk based bands that are a working bunch! Played an increbible sounding Pearl Reference for a TV gig last month…. whaddakit - whadda snare,....

...Thank God my ‘life out of a suitcase’ for the past 10 years has abated somewhat..
Some family health issues are adding to my absence from here as well ( Need to get inspired by Grea and Andy here ) ... Got to ride this time out somehow ...

... My boys are growing up nicely, and me and the old girl are developing a comfortable n cozy silence- nice.

Just wanted to say a quick hello to y’all.

Last edited:
glad to hear things are on the up and up my man

I kinda like hearing that Korn has an insane rider
Ray Luzier came and taught for a semester while I was at MI between DLR tours and I took a rock drums class with him.......I became very fond of him as a person....so patient, kind, and you could tell had a true love and appreciation for his craft and success

glad he has sustained it through the years and is still demanding an insane rider

don't hurt'em Ray

:)

Good timing, Abe. I was going to send you an email tonight to see what side of the earth you'd fallen off ...

Quite a stable you have there, you hard rockin dood, you. It must be difficult to get powerful multimillionaires to do all the tasks needed for a show to go off as planned if one of the stars doesn't feel like it. If I was in their position I'd be tempted to do as I jolly well liked too :) I'm sure your diplomacy skills and clear-sightedness are being put to good use!

Great that you're playing more. "Experimental funk"? John Zorn meets AWB?

It's been a tough year for oldies - my dad dropped off, as did the father of my previous neighbour, also my sister in law's new fiance's grandmother. If I was superstitious it would be spooky.

Good luck with it. It gets better ... once the body is worn out and life is replaced by existence the poor buggers are already partly gone. I had two or three decent conversations with Dad in 6 months. Most of our chat centred around temperature, food, tasks, pain and health. Humans' built-in obsolescence sucks - pity Deity scrimped on parts. Lemons all! It's just a matter of making them more comfortable ... less uncomfortable.

A comfortable silence sounds good - as long as at least one of you is playing drums ... today I found out that if the dog barks near the drum set my hats ring :)

You know the deal .... better than most. Hope you get at least a little "Hot Fun in the Summertime" ......​

Abe, I remember you cogitating over the new job a while back, so I'm glad to hear that's going well. Dumping the never ending suitcase program is a good call. You & I both = too many years in a transient reality = not good at all, except for expanding one's worldly insights.

I'm glad to hear of your drumming activity. You're a talented bastard, so good to see that's not going to waste, but I am concerned about the family health issues you elude to. If I can help with that via PM, don't hesitate.

Health, job, playing, everything actually, come out of your corner fighting, every time! There's something about meeting adversity head on that cleanses you of apathy induced gradual mental suicide.

Ray Luzier came and taught for a semester while I was at MI between DLR tours and I took a rock drums class with him.......I became very fond of him as a person....so patient, kind, and you could tell had a true love and appreciation for his craft and success

glad he has sustained it through the years and is still demanding an insane rider

don't hurt'em Ray

Thanks Gvada.. Ray's a fine person, very easy to be fond of, and an other- worldly drummer. I didnt realize how phenominal he really was till I saw him play the couch arm : )

The rider specifies the soap they need in the showers in backstage tents and catering from 3 restaurants.. amongst others wierdness which would be wrong of me to share here.

Good timing, Abe. I was going to send you an email tonight to see what side of the earth you'd fallen off ...

Quite a stable you have there, you hard rockin dood, you. It must be difficult to get powerful multimillionaires to do all the tasks needed for a show to go off as planned if one of the stars doesn't feel like it. If I was in their position I'd be tempted to do as I jolly well liked too :) I'm sure your diplomacy skills and clear-sightedness are being put to good use!

Great that you're playing more. "Experimental funk"? John Zorn meets AWB?

It's been a tough year for oldies - my dad dropped off, as did the father of my previous neighbour, also my sister in law's new fiance's grandmother. If I was superstitious it would be spooky.

Good luck with it. It gets better ... once the body is worn out and life is replaced by existence the poor buggers are already partly gone. I had two or three decent conversations with Dad in 6 months. Most of our chat centred around temperature, food, tasks, pain and health. Humans' built-in obsolescence sucks - pity Deity scrimped on parts. Lemons all! It's just a matter of making them more comfortable ... less uncomfortable.

A comfortable silence sounds good - as long as at least one of you is playing drums ... today I found out that if the dog barks near the drum set my hats ring :)

Yoohoo Grea, ( have to call you Grea since Icant call you Polly now, and I dont do Anon... )

Yea, it good and bad, but as they say change is inevitable and change is good. Yes funbk times with funk.. got a prog/folk type singer whos much in demand so we are riding his coat tails to lots of gigs and sessions.. good fun. Will PM you more details.

The rider specifies the soap they need in the showers in backstage tents and catering from 3 restaurants.. amongst others wierdness which would be wrong of me to share here.

I'm picturing you removing all the brown M&M's.

Great news mate. I'd be flippin' my lid over a chance to hang with the Chili Peppers!! Be sure to come back and brag if that comes off.

Hoping the family issue is a hiccup and not a hurdle.

Abe, I remember you cogitating over the new job a while back, so I'm glad to hear that's going well. Dumping the never ending suitcase program is a good call. You & I both = too many years in a transient reality = not good at all, except for expanding one's worldly insights.

I'm glad to hear of your drumming activity. You're a talented bastard, so good to see that's not going to waste, but I am concerned about the family health issues you elude to. If I can help with that via PM, don't hesitate.

Health, job, playing, everything actually, come out of your corner fighting, every time! There's something about meeting adversity head on that cleanses you of apathy induced gradual mental suicide.

Thanks Andy.You know lm always thankful for your empathy, wisdom, and sensitivity. Will keep you posted.

I'm picturing you removing all the brown M&M's.

Great news mate. I'd be flippin' my lid over a chance to hang with the Chili Peppers!! Be sure to come back and brag if that comes off.

Hoping the family issue is a hiccup and not a hurdle.

LOL. Hate everything brown, actually... thanks for the good thoughts, bud.

Last edited:
The rider specifies the soap they need in the showers in backstage tents

You don't want cheap, drying soap ... not if you want to stay kissing sweet :) Guess if you live on the road then the rider determines your quality of life to some extent.

Yoohoo Grea, ( have to call you Grea since Icant call you Polly now, and I dont do Anon... )

That seems to be the usual approach. I think I've been called Anon once. Of course you guys can call me anything you like ... almost

Yea, it good and bad, but as they say change is inevitable and change is good.

Probably objectively true, Abe. The subjective side ain't so flash but clouds always pass.

Yes funbk times with funk.. got a prog/folk type singer whos much in demand so we are riding his coat tails to lots of gigs and sessions.. good fun. Will PM you more details.

Sounds great! Something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMrYSTzqFI8 ... but with more attractive vocals :)

Abe!

Great to hear from you and happy to hear you've managed to shape your life a bit more to your satisfaction.

Abe!

Great to hear from you and happy to hear you've managed to shape your life a bit more to your satisfaction.

Cheers, Jason.. long time since you've surfaced too. Btw, here's a pic of a jam with your friend ; )

dw.jpg

Hope all good with you too.

don't hurt'em Ray

The year I was at PIT was Ray's first time teaching there. They actually only brought him for 2 hours on a Friday. I went to the school's President and said "you have to give this guy more hours, he's the only real rock/metal teacher here" and next quarter they hired Ray for an entire Friday afternoon. Sometime after I left, he got hired on more hours.

He's a great guy.

The year I was at PIT was Ray's first time teaching there. They actually only brought him for 2 hours on a Friday. I went to the school's President and said "you have to give this guy more hours, he's the only real rock/metal teacher here" and next quarter they hired Ray for an entire Friday afternoon. Sometime after I left, he got hired on more hours.

He's a great guy.

completely 100% agree

Tim Pedersen taught the first rock class I took in the first semester......and he was great ....love Tim

but when Ray came the whole dynamic shifted and the wealth of information was amazing

he was one of the only guys who I felt zero reservation playing in front of

when he left again everyone was bummed ....even the teachers

Hope you are really seeing the sucess you are having!

...aside from the real life family health problems, sounds like you have dream in one hand and a solid backbeat in the other.

SCORE!!

Last edited:
Abe, it's very nice to hear about you new career, sounds like a lot of fun, as is playing more, funk is kinda contagious grooving, although I hope you're not pulling faces like the drummer in Grea's link :)

...mmmh, funk... meeting Chad Smith ... you might be able to show him a trick or two :))

Sorry to hear about health issues, I hope it's nothing too serious :(

Abe thanks for the update. You're family here. A lot of people care about you. Not me, just saying :)

Your job responsibilities...I could see a lot of people envying you for that. Again, not me, just saying... :)

Otto's last line was pure gold.

Back