An Interesting Evening

I spent two hours in the car getting to band practice tonight. That's not unusual, after all I drive from Kent to North-West London to rehearse. Our rehearsals are four hours long so it's definitely worth it in terms of the time spent. Our first gig is next Monday and I am reliably informed that there will be four (yes, four) people there representing record labels (including a couple of big names, EMI, etc) there to watch us based on the demo CD the guitarist and singer put together before I joined the band.

The guitarist's Dad turned up and we were chatting. He then told me that he used to be a producer, songwriter and engineer that owned his own London studio years back.

So, I was (quietly) chuffed to bits when he told me that he really liked my playing. He remarked about how much the band (and specifically the bass player and I) were really listening and responding to the micro-changes that were happening throughout the song. Little things, like a slight rush from the guitarist or vocalist through an energetic line, or a change in dynamic.

I came out today feeling wonderfully validated. I know my strengths and weaknesses as a player and I like to think that this gentleman that I had never met before (and knew his stuff) was reading what I consider to be my strengths. The band are shaping up well and I'm really looking forward to getting back into the Rock scene - it's been the best part of five years!

Forgive my self-indulgence but Duncan is - for once - in a good mood.

You have to consider the fact that perhaps he's buttering you up because he wants your man parts. I mean, do you really think you are as good as he says?

JK man, I'm feeling kinda thorny lately.

That's great to hear man. It really makes the hours of driving, practicing and dealing with noodling worth the effort.

Puts some fuel in the tank to really give yourself and the label reps a super show too, good luck next Monday. :)

This is very good news! Not so much the comment in itself, but your reaction to it. Being in a good mood is something that propagates to other things, & only good can come from that. You are someone who's perpetually plagued by self doubt, masked internally with an upbeat disposition. Think of it this way Duncan, you deserve anything positive that's coming your way, & on Monday, you're going out there to grab it with both hands. You can't control the A&R guy's responses, but you can finish that set with the inner pride & a glow that comes with accomplishment.

Good luck matey :)

P.S. Larry's obviously jealous because he'd planned on bagging a fondle at this year's LDS, lol!

You have to consider the fact that perhaps he's buttering you up because he wants your man parts. I mean, do you really think you are as good as he says?

JK man, I'm feeling kinda thorny lately.

Sounds like you have had run ins with producers and bookers that want your butt.

I spent two hours in the car getting to band practice tonight. That's not unusual, after all I drive from Kent to North-West London to rehearse. Our rehearsals are four hours long so it's definitely worth it in terms of the time spent. Our first gig is next Monday and I am reliably informed that there will be four (yes, four) people there representing record labels (including a couple of big names, EMI, etc) there to watch us based on the demo CD the guitarist and singer put together before I joined the band.

The guitarist's Dad turned up and we were chatting. He then told me that he used to be a producer, songwriter and engineer that owned his own London studio years back.

So, I was (quietly) chuffed to bits when he told me that he really liked my playing. He remarked about how much the band (and specifically the bass player and I) were really listening and responding to the micro-changes that were happening throughout the song. Little things, like a slight rush from the guitarist or vocalist through an energetic line, or a change in dynamic.

I came out today feeling wonderfully validated. I know my strengths and weaknesses as a player and I like to think that this gentleman that I had never met before (and knew his stuff) was reading what I consider to be my strengths. The band are shaping up well and I'm really looking forward to getting back into the Rock scene - it's been the best part of five years!

Forgive my self-indulgence but Duncan is - for once - in a good mood.

You're in the UK pal.
I suspect there's a bunch of people who want some free gigs out of your band. It seems the 'modus operandi' here.
I've lost count of the number of record producers and promoters who like our band so much that they think it would be great for us to play an unpaid support slot, or gig at 'their' venue.

Me...good mood also....but ever so slightly cynical about music in the UK.

Ah yes the ever so popular and well know, "man pants" and "bagging a fondle". Both well know terms in the music biz. Funny stuff.

Hope you bag a deal man. Film it!

You're in the UK pal.
I suspect there's a bunch of people who want some free gigs out of your band. It seems the 'modus operandi' here.
I've lost count of the number of record producers and promoters who like our band so much that they think it would be great for us to play an unpaid support slot, or gig at 'their' venue.

Me...good mood also....but ever so slightly cynical about music in the UK.

Well we are being paid for our gigs, so...

I'm assuming being "chuffed to bits" is a good thing?

Great feeling when someone you respect ( for whatever reasons ) seconds your honest internal appraisal of yourself. And rightfully so.

Enjoy the moment.

Congrats and don't listen to all the naysayers....take the compliment and be proud of yourself. I'm sure it's well deserved!

(And Uncle Larry...nice to see you commenting on posts again...even if you are thorny).

Here's to hoping that the label reps sees your band in the same light as your guitarists Dad. Also, here's to hoping your good mood last a long time.

Go get 'em tonight Duncan!

Remember, forget the A&R guys. Just concentrate on giving the audience a great time, as the A&R peeps will be looking at the audience too. Have fun with it, & be slightly animated if you can, without distracting from your primary task.

Good luck - Andy.

Go get 'em tonight Duncan!

Remember, forget the A&R guys. Just concentrate on giving the audience a great time, as the A&R peeps will be looking at the audience too. Have fun with it, & be slightly animated if you can, without distracting from your primary task.

Good luck - Andy.

I've got a week to not be terrified. In all honesty, I've written fairly stripped down parts for the songs we're playing so physically there's nothing to concern me. I've done dozens (if not around a hundred) gigs in the past so there is little new. The first performance of any new band though is, as always, a slightly unnerving one but we've postponed by two weeks to get it absolutely right and I know we're a good act.

What I will not do is have a couple before to 'take the edge off'. No way. Not going down that route after last time!

Congrats!! I hope it all works out.

But Duncan in a good mood? I don't know, I'm not used to that. LOL.

I might have to resort to posting "Neil Peart is Awesome" to get things back to normal. ;-)

(just kidding)

That's a cool story, Duncan, and getting even a small dose of that kind of validation can go a looooong way. I'm still riding high on some complimentary remarks I got 20 years ago from one of my heros who was a rising rock star at the time so I know the feeling - savor and enjoy it.

Hopefully, we'll be hearing you on the radio soon!

Back