an incredible shiny pie

ShadoWReX

Over the past 30+years there was one thing that I hated -cleaning cymbals. Recently I came across an ad for Cymbal Doctor, after watching a youtube on it I decided to try it -WOW!! I tried it on an old Zildjian that was severely tarnished with loads of green spots. 10 minutes later I had a cymbal that looked brand new!! And... with no sore muscles!! The reason I tried it on that particular cymbal was my concern about the sound changing. I have to say, yes it changed slightly, but certainly for the better!!
Just had to share this awesome system with you all -check them out!!

ShadoWReX

Don't mind losing the logos -until the companies supply me cymbals (heck, Neil Peart doesn't have logos on his cymbals -good enough for Neil good enough for me) at no charge -why advertise for nothing. As well, if you don't run the step one agressively over logos they should be fine, really concerned about keeping the advertisements err, logos, put the supplied clear plastic protectors over them. Regarding price, it's all relative... after 10+years of pie shining we can talk about cost vs. value...

HMNY

Silver Member
ha, I agree, I'd be happy to advertise for anyone who'd give me cymbals! On a more serious note, were you concerned about using the power polisher on the cymbal (even if it was a potentially sacrificial one?)

Regards

ShadoWReX

not really, as I have done furniture repair for years, using the same type of polisher. The lacquer finish on a table top is delicate and will definitely respond to any sort of heat. The secret to this type of polishing is to use reasonable pressure (you don't have to apply a lot -let the machine do the work) and keep moving the polisher. The reason that they use the type of polisher that they use is that it constantly changes position (random orbital) and this really eliminates the potential for a problem.
Hey, I don't have anything to do with these guys -I just know how frustrating it is to spend time hand polishing and not being 100% happy with the results... I certainly was happy with last nights results.
I just wanted everyone to know about my success with Cymbal Doctor.

HMNY

Silver Member
Interesting, Thanks, I must admit, I think I (being a little heavy handed) would think twice about the power polisher, but sounds like it worked out OK.

All the best

ShadoWReX

forgot to mention -this took less than 10 minutes, which I imagine will be reduced as I get used to the 3 part steps...
Oh yeah, Brasso ruined (sonically) one of my cymbals -never again...

Not that my cymbals are dirty, but I'd be afraid of using this system on my Paiste Reflectors and RUDEs. I wonder what could happen... RUDEs have such unique coloring/finish and the Paiste Reflector shine is achieved through special lathing at the factory, not buffing.

ShadoWReX

The sound after cleaning had an increase of 20 -30% in initial transient response and 'more sound', somewhat brighter sound; my first response after cleaning was that "I woke the cymbal up"...

Am not sure about the Paiste Reflectors & Rudes -as I don't use them. Would suggest contacting Larry at Cymbal Doctor -as he's quite knowledgable and passionate about his system.
Lawrence M. Jaworske
President, Founder
Cell 941. 713. 8443
I didn't mention it before, but one they do that NO ONE else does is the last step -the sealant, which reduces tarnishing. As easy as it is -I'de rather be playing them than cleaning them!!