An Equipment Transport Query of Great Importance

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Hello everyone, and welcome to my new thread! I have a dilemma ahead of me: I'm going to Germany in June to record an album, and I have to think of a way of getting my equipment there. My journey will begin in Godalming, south-west Surrey, UK, and will end in Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein, Deutschland.

What I will actually have to take is not entirely certain, but it will definitely include my cymbals and bass pedal. Ideally I'd like to take my snare as well, and I've been asked to take my throne with me, and a hi-hat stand if possible. This will be in addition to the everyday things like clothes etc that I need to take with me.

For reasons that I imagine are obvious, I don't exactly relish the prospect of taking my snare, bass pedals, throne, hi-hat stand and cymbals on a plane on my own. I don't imagine trains would be any easier. While in theory it would not be impossible for me to drive, that would be complicated for a wide variety of reasons that for the sake of brevity I won't go into.

So, what options does this leave? One option I have just thought of this evening is the possibility of getting my stuff couriered to the studio and back, meaning I would be able to travel with just my essentials. Does anybody have any insights into whether or not this would be possible/a good idea? Or any other creative suggestions?

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Ooh, thanks Andy...perhaps it wasn't such a silly idea after all! I'll look into this further.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I certainly won't, but that will be a lot easier than if I was trying to get it all in the cargo hold of a plane!

PQleyR

Platinum Member
That would be fine, I could just put a trailer on it or something. No, I'm sure it would all fit in the cargo hold of a plane, but the combination of trying to prevent it all getting smashed to bits by baggage handlers and then actually carrying all that stuff on my own would make the whole thing rather challenging.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
How 'bout carrying your sticks and cymbals as over-sized carry-ons and calling ahead to rent what you need when you get there? I'd do that. I'd probably rent all of it - cymbals, sticks, kit....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Show up with cash in hand and a new set of heads, and I'll bet you could borrow somebody's kit for the session ;)

I've done that a few times at some music festivals where I didn't want to haul my stuff in. I once gave a kid $30 and he let me play his new DW kit, sticks and all.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Hiring things is always an option, but given that it hasn't been suggested by the producer I'm trying to make sure I've at least got a plan for getting my stuff there. I don't need to take a snare but I would like to really as since it'll be a metal record with everything quantized to within an inch of its life, I'd like to have as much stuff that sounds like me as possible.
I'm using the studio kit but the producer has asked me to bring my cymbals and throne, and ideally a hi-hat stand as well, and preferably bass pedals too...and once you add that lot together, shipping it all in one go starts to sound like the most sensible option.