An actual drum cover on little drums!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, not really. I'm not playing along to the record and covering everything the original drummer did, but I did manage to get my hands on the original recording minus the drums eight years ago! I've always loved this tune and may ad it to my one man band act.

But if you notice in the video, I'm playing a Sonor Bop Kit (12/14/18), and in an unmic'd situation, I just don't think there's enough "oomph" in the bass drum to get by on a regular rock n roll gig. But this recording has me re-thinking my position, provided I'm always miking the kit up. And in my one-man-band act, or with the Devo tribute, I have to be mic'ed up. So I'm debating if I should check out another bop-sized kit for these projects, since I'm hauling around the PA as well. I have my eye on the PDP Concept Maple bop kit without the wooden hoops. Real good deals on those right now (I've found them for $549 with a matching snare!).

Anybody here have one of those and can shed some light on them? I'm assuming the shells are quite a bit better than the Sonor Bop's and the Gretsch Catalina Jazz? I wouldn't need the snare as I have two nice DW Collector's snares to use, but how do the drums fare? I'm sure they won't be a replacement for my DW cherry/mahogany, but I'm thinking I may not want to schlep the pretty DW's into some dingy theater for a Devo tribute show (but then again, I might...).

Thoughts?

gish

You don’t like 18” and smaller bass drums, remember? Don’t blame you; I really don’t either. Why not a nice 12-14-20 for the situations you’re talking about? If you’re hung up on the kit you’re talking about , that seems like a great deal. And to be honest I’m hearing some punch from that little Sonor bass drum through my phone, so who knows...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You don’t like 18” and smaller bass drums, remember? Don’t blame you; I really don’t either. Why not a nice 12-14-20 for the situations you’re talking about? If you’re hung up on the kit you’re talking about , that seems like a great deal. And to be honest I’m hearing some punch from that little Sonor bass drum through my phone, so who knows...
Yeah, the price is attractive at $549. But a smarter move would be to a 20, but would it matter if it’s always mic’d? With my 13/16/22, I can go into anything and not worry about miking.

The smart thing would be to just use what I use. It’s just that price though....

gish

Yeah, the price is attractive at $549. But a smarter move would be to a 20, but would it matter if it’s always mic’d? With my 13/16/22, I can go into anything and not worry about miking.

The smart thing would be to just use what I use. It’s just that price though....
If you’re always micing the kick, then yes it will sound great out front. From the throne? Not so much IMO. Don’t listen to me I guess; from someone who has seen the plethora of kits you’ve owned, that DW you currently have is so simple yet beautiful. If I owned that kit it’s doubtful I would want to play anything else. Not a DW fanboy but that kit you have right now is incredibly perfect IMO, so I am biased.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
If you’re always micing the kick, then yes it will sound great out front. From the throne? Not so much IMO. Don’t listen to me I guess; from someone who has seen the plethora of kits you’ve owned, that DW you currently have is so simple yet beautiful. If I owned that kit it’s doubtful I would want to play anything else. Not a DW fanboy but that kit you have right now is incredibly perfect IMO, so I am biased.
You’re right. That’s why I have that DW kit. To play it out. I’m trying to summon my inner Charlie Watts and just use the ONE kit until I’m done. Nevermind.

Maybe I’ll get a matching cherry wood snare. An 8x14 might be cool.

Mendozart

Platinum Member
I still think you should just add a few sizes to the DW kit. (Shell bank) I have 20, 22, and 24 bass drums, with several toms. I just pick and choose per gig. Btw, love that song!

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Yes the bass drum doesn't seem prominent enough. But you still sound great! I want to practice playing along with some Cars tunes now.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yes the bass drum doesn't seem prominent enough. But you still sound great! I want to practice playing along with some Cars tunes now.
I just love how everything David Robinson did on those early Cars albums just sounded so deliberate. There didn't seem to be any wasted notes on his part. Of course, it fit them because there were four other guys filling the space, but what he did was just perfect for all those songs. I probably would've had a better career if I just did what he did ;)

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I think the PDP Concept series are quite a bit nicer than the Catalina. I've heard some great sounding Catalinas, but you certainly don't have to worry about the HW stripping out on the PDPs. I don't know if the Catalinas still suffer from the low grade HW or not, but the PDPs are definitely safe.

thebarak

I still think you should just add a few sizes to the DW kit. (Shell bank) I have 20, 22, and 24 bass drums, with several toms. I just pick and choose per gig. Btw, love that song!
I agree with Mendozrt..... Bo, just get matching drums for your main and favorite kit and use it all as a versatile shell bank. Pick the sizes for the gig.

Yamaha Rider

Well, not really. I'm not playing along to the record and covering everything the original drummer did, but I did manage to get my hands on the original recording minus the drums eight years ago! I've always loved this tune and may ad it to my one man band act.

But if you notice in the video, I'm playing a Sonor Bop Kit (12/14/18), and in an unmic'd situation, I just don't think there's enough "oomph" in the bass drum to get by on a regular rock n roll gig. But this recording has me re-thinking my position, provided I'm always miking the kit up. And in my one-man-band act, or with the Devo tribute, I have to be mic'ed up. So I'm debating if I should check out another bop-sized kit for these projects, since I'm hauling around the PA as well. I have my eye on the PDP Concept Maple bop kit without the wooden hoops. Real good deals on those right now (I've found them for $549 with a matching snare!).

Anybody here have one of those and can shed some light on them? I'm assuming the shells are quite a bit better than the Sonor Bop's and the Gretsch Catalina Jazz? I wouldn't need the snare as I have two nice DW Collector's snares to use, but how do the drums fare? I'm sure they won't be a replacement for my DW cherry/mahogany, but I'm thinking I may not want to schlep the pretty DW's into some dingy theater for a Devo tribute show (but then again, I might...).

Thoughts?

Excellent!
Blitzkreig Bop-Kit.