Amazon die cast ripoff drum hoop warning

pgm554

Platinum Member
Beware that Amazon is advertising 1.6 mil stamped steel hoops as die cast zinc .

The culprits are also doing the same thing on Ebay.

So buyer beware.

Just curious, but zinc has less than half the tensile strength of mild steel. Why would one want a softer material hoop instead of hard for the part responsible for tuning and it staying that way?

Just curious, but zinc has less than half the tensile strength of mild steel. Why would one want a softer material hoop instead of hard for the part responsible for tuning and it staying that way?
well to be fair it’s a very thick zinc hoop and it’s most likely a zinc alloy so it’s not going to be as soft as pure zinc.

also i don’t think die cast steel exists, usually you’d use softer metals like aluminium or copper

To reduce or eliminate overtones from the hoop vibrating. It produces more of a fundamental sound of the drum.

The usual test it to hang a hoop and tap it. The ringing heard will also be heard on the drum its used on. Steel hoops ring, and brass hoops ring even more. Die-cast zinc sounds like you tapped a rusty tractor chassis with a pencil.

Now that I have an 8-hole and 10-hole Tama die cast batter hoops, I use them on my snares and it’s a nice balance between an open, ringing sound and a fully muted sound. The drums I put them on seem a bit louder too, but that’s probably me wanted success with my spending.

The usual test it to hang a hoop and tap it. The ringing heard will also be heard on the drum its used on. Steel hoops ring, and brass hoops ring even more. Die-cast zinc sounds like you tapped a rusty tractor chassis with a pencil.
That makes sense. I'm guessing the reason the zinc hoop is die cast then is because it wouldnt hold its shape as a regular hoop.

I'm leery of ANY hoop that sells for $15
Gibraltar 2.3mm triple flange hoops sell for around $15 each, and they’re nice. I bought some to replace the 1.6mm hoops that came with my Stage Custom Birch.

To the OP, did the Amazon listing not have pictures, or were the images misleading? Triple flange hoops look very different from die cast, so unless there weren’t any images or if they were fake images, that should have been a huge giveaway that they weren’t die cast.

Last edited:
Beware that Amazon is advertising 1.6 mil stamped steel hoops as die cast zinc .

The culprits are also doing the same thing on Ebay.

So buyer beware.
do you have the link. Thanks

Consider a wood shell with no hoops. If you push on the side it will flex out of round. By itself it is not very stiff. Put hoops and the shell becomes stiffer, requiring more force to bend it out of round. Stiffer raises the resonant pitch. Put super stiff hoops such as cast and it becomes even more stiff, raising the resonant frequency even higher.

This is where worrying what wood species isn’t really the determining factor and instead considering shell stiffness becomes the center of the real determining factor. So while you could make some judgements about the relative differences in hardness in wood species what you really need to look at is how the shell is constructed.

Could mass have something to do with it? Without disassembling my snare, I would guesstimate two die cast hoops weigh about half the weight of a common wood shell. That would have a dampening effect, regardless of resonance change.

Could mass have something to do with it? Without disassembling my snare, I would guesstimate two die cast hoops weigh about half the weight of a common wood shell. That would have a dampening effect, regardless of resonance change.
There’s definitely an absorption or dispersal of energy.

Soft vs hard doesn't tell the whole story, there is also flex vs brittleness. Die casts are something like 3mm thick and very rigid. I've seen some broken or warped but was surprised, and I couldn't tell you how they got out of round (I assume a flaw during manufacture).

OP, eBay is full of flanged hoops from China labeled as dc; I assume a language barrier or unscrupulous seller.

Soft vs hard doesn't tell the whole story, there is also flex vs brittleness. Die casts are something like 3mm thick and very rigid. I've seen some broken or warped but was surprised, and I couldn't tell you how they got out of round (I assume a flaw during manufacture).

OP, eBay is full of flanged hoops from China labeled as dc; I assume a language barrier or unscrupulous seller.
Yes ,I got burnt a few moths ago expecting regular die cast,but got triple flange.
Now I see it on Amazon,so hence the warning.

The die cast bit is obviously wrong, but they mention plating (which I'm guessing was the zinc reference), and made of iron (which they're not). To me, this is more from a place of total drum part / materials / process ignorance than a real attempt at fraud.

Back