Amazing (old) studio footage - Simon Phillips with The Coors :)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Amazing (old) studio footage - Simon Phillips with The Corrs :)

I've found this footage on YT today...

Simon recording a couple tracks for the Corrs,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11zWUJK-sDw

Caroline doesn't miss a beat watching him... as I would if I'd been there... :)

I like the comment from the sound engineer "Yeah, but we like what you did, it's the problem with that" ... and Simon just do it again, but better :)

Last edited:
That's a sensational piece of footage Henri. Well dug up! Simon's groove is just out of this world good. In the second song, maintaining that hi hat figure relentlessly whilst punching the accents & delivering guttural drive is a signature Simon vibe for sure, & I've yet to hear anyone better at doing that - ever!

One of my heroes displaying an incredible degree of musicianship.

Whenever anyone brings up the "chops vs groove" argument, I think of my man Simon and smile.

Thanks for this Henri.

BTW, that recording was done in one of the greatest drum rooms in the world. Notice how his toms are mic'ed top and bottom also.

It's The Corrs, if I can correct you there. :) I gig in the town they're from quite a bit.

Great footage by the way. Simon is world class. But did anyone feel a bit sorry for Caroline? I can't imagine being in a proper band, and then seeing the recording duties handed over to a session drummer. I know there's an element of stepping back and doing what's best for the music but I can imagine it being a bit of a blow to your pride as a musician.

Last edited:
It's The Corrs, if I can correct you there. :) I gig in the town they're from quite a bit.

Great footage by the way. Simon is world class. But did anyone feel a bit sorry for Caroline? I can't imagine being in a proper band, and then seeing the recording duties handed over to a session drummer. I know there's an element of stepping back and doing what's best for the music but I can imagine it being a bit of a blow to your pride as a musician.

I'm pretty sure they used studio drummers on a fairly regular basis. Check out Toss the Feathers. Awesome drumming.

I'm pretty sure they used studio drummers on a fairly regular basis. Check out Toss the Feathers. Awesome drumming.

Mea culpa, I should have checked the video first as that was Toss the Feathers. I played the tune in a Celtic band and fell in love with the Corrs version.

Very nice indeed. Interesting that he sets up the entire kit for this kind of music. I guess he don't want any limitations to what he can come up with in the heat of the moment.

One of my heroes displaying an incredible degree of musicianship.

Whenever anyone brings up the "chops vs groove" argument, I think of my man Simon and smile.
I feel the same on all counts. I was so obsessed with Simon as a kid that I sought out any records there was even a rumor he played on (this was before you could easily look it up online). I still love a couple tracks he played on from the John Parr album. As you say, all the chops in the world, but his groove is so strong.

One of the all-time monsters.

Great video.
I got this recording when it came out in the early 90s. His sound on that tune was what captured me. Incredible.

D

It's The Corrs, if I can correct you there. :)

Ooops! I did the double strokes with the wrong finger, lol

Would any mods care to correct the miss spelling on the title of the thread, thanks in advance :)

In the second song, maintaining that hi hat figure relentlessly whilst punching the accents & delivering guttural drive is a signature Simon vibe for sure...

Absolutely :)

I really liked the second song on that footage, alas, it hasn't been put on any Corrs album, which in my mind is a shame, the song seems really good overall.

Totally agree with you Jeff...

... there's a very long list of Simon where he just grooves and grooves... but with his special style which is so recognisable.

Some songs comes to my mind when I said that...

Voices with Russ Ballard

Hymn To Her with The Pretenders

The Pump with Jeff Beck

Give Blood with Pete Townshend

But did anyone feel a bit sorry for Caroline? I can't imagine being in a proper band, and then seeing the recording duties handed over to a session drummer. I know there's an element of stepping back and doing what's best for the music but I can imagine it being a bit of a blow to your pride as a musician.

On the first studio album from the Corrs, all the drumming is done by studio drummers, Caroline is credited for bodhrán, piano and vocal.

Caroline played the drums on all alums afterwards.

I was so obsessed with Simon as a kid that I sought out any records there was even a rumor he played on.

I thought I was the only one who did that :)

I still love a couple tracks he played on from the John Parr album. As you say, all the chops in the world, but his groove is so strong.

Yep... I still love it too

Here's Love Grammar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzcTHAroiN8

BTW, that recording was done in one of the greatest drum rooms in the world. Notice how his toms are mic'ed top and bottom also.

I got this recording when it came out in the early 90s. His sound on that tune was what captured me. Incredible.

Probably it has something to do with the recording room :)

Recently getting more and more into Simons playing. This is a great find!

The one thing I love about Simon's playing....OK I love all of it. But he has the best feeling tempos ever. That is the part of drumming that takes the most experience and maturity IMO.

Re: Amazing (old) studio footage - Simon Phillips with The Corrs :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11zWUJK-sDw

I like the comment from the sound engineer "Yeah, but we like what you did, it's the problem with that" ... and Simon just do it again, but better :)

Love the clip and the playing, classic Simon.

The "sound engineer" I do believe is the equally talented/ successful and legendary producer - David Foster.

I really liked the second song on that footage, alas, it hasn't been put on any Corrs album, which in my mind is a shame, the song seems really good overall.
A shame indeed Henri. Such a wonderful groove, & beautifully punctuated with brass accents that Simon's so nailing whilst keeping that hats figure going. Man, that's a difficult trick to pull off!!

Recently getting more and more into Simons playing. This is a great find!
Thaardy, you have no idea how much this pleases me. A bit of Simon in your playing will increase your "monsterdom" no end!!!!

The one thing I love about Simon's playing....OK I love all of it. But he has the best feeling tempos ever. That is the part of drumming that takes the most experience and maturity IMO.
Couldn't agree more Larry, although in this example, I think it's already dictated for him. Getting that feel in an overdub scenario is just mind blowingly difficult.

Love the clip and the playing, classic Simon.
& that's the thing Steve, you know it's Simon just by listening. The mark of a true artist, & a style recognition that only the very few achieve, especially in modern commercial music. This morning, I just had to play this clip again - 3 times over!!!!

Couldn't agree more Larry, although in this example, I think it's already dictated for him. Getting that feel in an overdub scenario is just mind blowingly difficult.

Yes, Simon's session often requires overdubs and the tempo are invariably already set up, where Simon shines is getting the feel and choice... like he did on the mind blowing groove in "Give Blood" by Pete Townshend, the studio version is the second take...

Give Blood, studio version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Vap-dU6h0

Amazing (old) studio footage - Simon Phillips with The Corrs :)

That sound engineer is David Foster.

Ooops! I did the double strokes with the wrong finger, lol

Would any mods care to correct the miss spelling on the title of the thread, thanks in advance :)

Absolutely :)

Totally agree with you Jeff...

... there's a very long list of Simon where he just grooves and grooves... but with his special style which is so recognisable.

Some songs comes to my mind when I said that...

Voices with Russ Ballard

Hymn To Her with The Pretenders

The Pump with Jeff Beck

Give Blood with Pete Townshend

On the first studio album from the Corrs, all the drumming is done by studio drummers, Caroline is credited for bodhrán, piano and vocal.

Caroline played the drums on all alums afterwards.

I thought I was the only one who did that :)

Yep... I still love it too

Here's Love Grammar

Probably it has something to do with the recording room :)
Caroline played this live with Mick Fleetwood and Roger Taylor and more than held her own. Also The first Record Album by the Corrs utilized programmed drums (Simon Frangelen and Jim Corr). Phillips played on one cut.
The guy at the board in the Reitzas video with long hair is Bob Clearmountain.

Back