Am I the only one who thinks bass drums should be at least 22"?

What did you think of the Safari kit ?

it was a cool little kit! fun to play. I had the red sparkle one. I added new heads when I got it and I think it sounded pretty good for what it was. I ended up selling it about 6 months or so later, but kinda wish I held onto it. it would have been a good sized kit for my son to start learning on.

it was a cool little kit! fun to play. I had the red sparkle one. I added new heads when I got it and I think it sounded pretty good for what it was. I ended up selling it about 6 months or so later, but kinda wish I held onto it. it would have been a good sized kit for my son to start learning on.
They have one at GC that I like , but I have 2 shellbanks ,one Slingerland ,one Fibes . I'll just make a little kit from one of them .
Good lord I don't need another kit. Thanks for the reply .

They have one at GC that I like , but I have 2 shellbanks ,one Slingerland ,one Fibes . I'll just make a little kit from one of them .
Good lord I don't need another kit. Thanks for the reply .

haha I hear ya! that's ultimately why I sold it at the time. it's definitely a bit crazy, but I can certainly understand how some people have a lot more than one or two kits.

...in response to the op-

My kit is "old and outdated", but sounds fantastic imo and inspires me to play. However, because of the aforementioned age, the toms are power sizes, which I enjoy for many reasons, but their added depth makes a 20" bass drum almost a necessity for me, as the height offset is roughly equal.

Consequently, I just redid my kit and replaced the very nice 22" bass drum with the nice 20" that's missing the front hoop. I am immensely more comfortable and play in a more relaxed manner, play for longer and enjoy myself more.
I usually prefer a 20" bass drum anyway, but with these toms it's just perfect imo.

Now I just need a hoop and hardware. :D

I’m very happy with my 20x16, it absolutely delivers on many levels. But if Gretsch were to start producing a sensibly deep 22” Renown, I would be tempted. I do sometimes miss that extra wallop.

I picked up a 20x14 single tension Ludwig bass drum on eBay and it got here yesterday. I guess I've never really seen one up close, as far as I can remember, but I can't believe how small it looks! even next to my 22" it looks significantly smaller.

edit- it's actually a 20x12. probably explains why it looks even smaller.

Last edited:
I’m very happy with my 20x16, it absolutely delivers on many levels. But if Gretsch were to start producing a sensibly deep 22” Renown, I would be tempted. I do sometimes miss that extra wallop.
Same here. The Renown 20x16 is killer but I probably would have ordered my set with a 22" simply out of old habit had it not been for the 18" deep kick drum. I just don't think my car doors will open wide enough to accommodate that size. My Yamaha 22x17 is pushing the limit as-is.

Back