Am I being petty?? Champagne Drum mistake UHHHHgain

Old Dog new Cans

I purchased a 2nd snare shell from Champagne Drum. Greg and I emailed NUMEROUS times about this. He does not have a business phone. In my mind, and in the email, OVER and OVER, I mentioned a 14" x 6" shell. Literally 8 or 9 emails, or more. The shell arrives, looks great! And, it has the reinforcement rings this time (the last shell I purchased from him was Supposed to have them and arrived without--it wasn't a problem, he refunded me accordingly). I RARELY get out the measuring tape and check a brand new shell, right out of the box, unless I notice something strange--something obvious.
The shell sat for maybe 2 weeks while I finished my Slingerland resto-mod. Also spent time working on the Rat Rod.

I got fidgety this morning about 7am and started working on the shell. My free downloaded drum builder's mat was not marked for 6 lugs. I should have checked the larger mat, but I just carefully taped a hoop to one side and went at it. I'm getting ready to drill holes and I said, let's grab a lug--make sure we're good. WE WERE NOT GOOD. Not off by much, but the holes would have been a 1/4" short of what the needed to be. Grabbed the measuring tape, freaking shell is about 3/16' short of 6". WHAT THE. . .

Now, it's not going to make a difference to me aesthetically, or sonically. But, I nearly muffed on drilling a brand new shell because the specs were off, UHHHHgain. I have the hardware all set to go. Not like I want to sell what I bought in order to compensate for some else's mistake.

I've not emailed Greg yet. But, I've basically decided I'm going elsewhere in the future. 2 mistakes with shells, and the lugs for the Rat Rod came with screws way too long. I described the shell to him a couple times there again. He knew it was a steelie with Premier's slightly larger sized holes. I had to go to the hardware and spend a whole $3. But you get my drift here.

And lastly, I have already deleted the email with me saying 6" repeatedly.

This is also a WARNING for Champagne Drum. Greg, great guy! Seriously. He has great products. Not a lot. Lugs, shells, a few other choices.
But be prepared to deal with whatever he sends you.

I think I just wanted to vent more than anything. I'm very loyal. Greg was cordial, responsive, and he didn't take a month or more to get my stuff here from Canada.
But, these constant little mistakes have added up to enough for me to say, enough.

You aren't being petty, Mr. Cans. When you purchase a product, you have a right to expect it to arrive without flaw. A defective drum would be a major letdown. That's why I stick with a manufacturer that has never sent me a deformed or blemished shell. For me, confidence is the essence of quality.

You aren't being petty, Mr. Cans. When you purchase a product, you have a right to expect it to arrive without flaw. A defective drum would be a major letdown. That's why I stick with a manufacturer that has never sent me a deformed or blemished shell. For me, confidence is the essence of quality.

Well, it's not defective. By 9 tonight it'll be a fine snare. But, it's not exactly flawless either. I'm with ya. I will be buying elsewhere for my next build.

I purchased a 2nd snare shell from Champagne Drum. Greg and I emailed NUMEROUS times about this. He does not have a business phone. In my mind, and in the email, OVER and OVER, I mentioned a 14" x 6" shell. Literally 8 or 9 emails, or more. The shell arrives, looks great! And, it has the reinforcement rings this time (the last shell I purchased from him was Supposed to have them and arrived without--it wasn't a problem, he refunded me accordingly). I RARELY get out the measuring tape and check a brand new shell, right out of the box, unless I notice something strange--something obvious.
The shell sat for maybe 2 weeks while I finished my Slingerland resto-mod. Also spent time working on the Rat Rod.

I got fidgety this morning about 7am and started working on the shell. My free downloaded drum builder's mat was not marked for 6 lugs. I should have checked the larger mat, but I just carefully taped a hoop to one side and went at it. I'm getting ready to drill holes and I said, let's grab a lug--make sure we're good. WE WERE NOT GOOD. Not off by much, but the holes would have been a 1/4" short of what the needed to be. Grabbed the measuring tape, freaking shell is about 3/16' short of 6". WHAT THE. . .

Now, it's not going to make a difference to me aesthetically, or sonically. But, I nearly muffed on drilling a brand new shell because the specs were off, UHHHHgain. I have the hardware all set to go. Not like I want to sell what I bought in order to compensate for some else's mistake.

I've not emailed Greg yet. But, I've basically decided I'm going elsewhere in the future. 2 mistakes with shells, and the lugs for the Rat Rod came with screws way too long. I described the shell to him a couple times there again. He knew it was a steelie with Premier's slightly larger sized holes. I had to go to the hardware and spend a whole $3. But you get my drift here.

And lastly, I have already deleted the email with me saying 6" repeatedly.

This is also a WARNING for Champagne Drum. Greg, great guy! Seriously. He has great products. Not a lot. Lugs, shells, a few other choices.
But be prepared to deal with whatever he sends you.

I think I just wanted to vent more than anything. I'm very loyal. Greg was cordial, responsive, and he didn't take a month or more to get my stuff here from Canada.
But, these constant little mistakes have added up to enough for me to say, enough.
Not petty at all! The quality of drum shells, as I've stated before in posts, can be hit or miss. I'm worse than anyone; flaws are defects to me. Thankfully I have enough drums and snares that I'm content with.

Back