Am I about to damage my tom shells?

topgun2021

Gold Member
I have a DW tom stand I am thinking about taking mt Gretsch Catalina Maple floor toms and turn them upside down connect only one of the leg mounts to the DW stand.

My fear is the the clamp on the tom is going to strip from the weight.

Also, I am probably destroying resonance.

Last edited:
D

Doctor Dirt

Why would you turn a floor tom into a suspension tom? I'm gonna hate asking this I know! Doc

areFish

Silver Member
On paper that doesn't sound like a good idea. I would expect the weight would stress the mount causing damage or some wonky overtones at the very least.

S

sticks4drums

I have a 16 x 14 suspended by one mount and it works great. I found the legs to be too short also. I wanted all my drums suspended on my rack anyways. Less clutter on the ground.

topgun2021

Gold Member
On paper that doesn't sound like a good idea. I would expect the weight would stress the mount causing damage or some wonky overtones at the very least.
Considering that the DW stand and the Gretsch mounts don't match. I think that this may be a bad idea, but I am running out of ideas that do not involve stacking books.

I found some old legs that are taller but GOD DAMN IT THEY ARE TOO THIN.

S

sticks4drums

Someone just posted a pic of their DW floor tom and they were joking how long the legs were. Maybe they have longer legs than Gretsch. Might be worth checking it out. Just make sure the legs are the same diameter so they fit in your mounts.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Someone just posted a pic of their DW floor tom and they were joking how long the legs were. Maybe they have longer legs than Gretsch. Might be worth checking it out. Just make sure the legs are the same diameter so they fit in your mounts.
Yeah that was me. The legs on my PDP are quite long and are 10.5 mm thick. They are 21.5 inches long from floor to the other end not counting the curve. At full height the tom is ridiculously high. The top rim is almost 31" from the floor.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I wouldn't hang it off one tiny little leg mount......too much weight on a mount that was just not designed to take it.

If I was gonna mount a 14x14 or 16x16 floort tom, I'd do it properly and buy a RIMS style mount or one of those stands specifically desgined for suspending FT's.....the weight of the drum is a hell of a lot more evenly distributed.

D

Doctor Dirt

I'd contact Gilbralter and ask if they have a solution to your problem. They have alot products and through the years are the main hardware problem solvers. I'm looking for 22" floor legs right now and may have to email them tomorrow myself.
Do you know someone who's in the metal fabrication business? They wouldn't be very difficult to make and you could powder coat if theres no plating near you. Doc.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It won't hurt the tom. The leg mounts and the shells are plenty strong enough to suport the drum on a stand.
I have seen this done many times.
I have been thinking about doing it with my 12x14 and my 12x16 floor toms.

kettles

Gold Member
I have a 16 x 14 suspended by one mount and it works great. I found the legs to be too short also. I wanted all my drums suspended on my rack anyways. Less clutter on the ground.
But this is how Mapex have designed and sold their mounted toms anyway. And the mounts are spread across a wider area of the shell, plus the Saturn mounts are connected to the lugs, thru the tension rods and around the hoop so it's very rigid. With a non-Saturn floor tom the weight is directed down in line with the leg, but when hanging it's going to be stressed on the shell at an angle.

You should just get longer legs, easier to pick it up and move it around that way

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
If you don't trust the strength of the shell simply cut a piece of 1/16 inch thick aluminium in a shape that is a few inches larger than the leg mount.
Drill holes in the piece of aluminium to match the tom leg mount and install it as a reinforcement plate on the inside of the drum.
problem solved. This will more than triple the strength of the area where the tom will be hung.

paistepower92

I wouldn't do it on just 1 mount, I have a set of Catalina Maples and while I love the shells, the tom brackets leave a lot to be desired. They will support the weight, but are really iffy in staying there. I'd use at least 2 brackets per floor tom.

Dad3353

I have a DW tom stand I am thinking about taking mt Gretsch Catalina Maple floor toms and turn them upside down connect only one of the leg mounts to the DW stand.

My fear is the the clamp on the tom is going to strip from the weight.

Also, I am probably destroying resonance.
Good evening, topgun2021...

I wouldn't take the risk. I converted to Pearl RIMS suspension years ago (see pic...); this has all the height and angle setup required for anyone, and easy to implement.

Just my tuppence worth, hope this helps...

Attachments

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The mounted tom on my Sonor Safari kit is held to the bass drum L rod mount with the same mount that holds a floor tom leg on the floor tom.
The riser for the foot pedal is held to the bass drum with a floor tom leg mount.
The floor tom mount is so strong that I carry the 16x16 bass drum around with the riser as if it was a handle. it doesn't even flex when I carry the drum around.
I can push down on my bass mounted tom until the L rod flexes as if it were going to bend and the tom mount didn't even budge.
That is how strong a plywood drum shell and a floor tom leg mount is.
It can hold over 80 pounds. I put at least that much force on the mount.
I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the leg mount will hold the floor tom to the stand without issue.

Attachments

tard

Gold Member
It won't hurt the tom. The leg mounts and the shells are plenty strong enough to suport the drum on a stand.
I have seen this done many times.
I have been thinking about doing it with my 12x14 and my 12x16 floor toms.
I have seen a few people do this and the weight of the drum pulled the head of the screw and the washer thru tearing out a piece of the shell , you might get away with it on smaller lighter toms but usually 14 and up floor toms are longer than 12 and quite heavy, even some 18" RIMS mounts go all the way around and have 2 tom holders on them to support the weight.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have seen a few people do this and the weight of the drum pulled the head of the screw and the washer thru tearing out a piece of the shell , you might get away with it on smaller lighter toms but usually 14 and up floor toms are longer than 12 and quite heavy, even some 18" RIMS mounts go all the way around and have 2 tom holders on them to support the weight.
Go back to post number 14 and read what I wrote.
You have to make a simple reinforcement plate that will cost only a few dollars and take only minutes to make.